Anyone have an electric car?

It does say "potential". Depending on where you live and income level you can get some very good rebates/incentives. Some are cash, some just tax credits.

It does say "potential". Depending on where you live and income level you can get some very good rebates/incentives. Some are cash, some just tax credits.
The $37,990 price is without any incentives or taxes applied.

The $37,990 price is without any incentives or taxes applied.
Correct, that's why I said "potential" referring to the savings price listed. For example, I could have had ~$7500 when I bought my Tesla. However, I make more money than most of the rebate programs allow. I was only able to get a small portion of the total rebates or tax incentives.

Always lots of opinions, so I'll chip in my two cents:

I've had a Volt for three years. I will never go back to a normal combustion engine. I love everything about it, except the lack of storage.

Don't ever visit gas stations. Great acceleration. Super convenient. Just an all-around superior experience.

An electric car is like a 3-rack space unit that fits hundreds of amps and effects. Combustion is like a 80-lb Fender Twin. Nice for nostalgia, but a 20th-century technology.

Last edited:
New car time and thinking about going electric.

Get a Tesla S P100D and never look back. It's a refined piece of tech that keeps getting better with every update. And it's hard to overstate the rush of that acceleration 😂

Drove my first electric this past week. A Tesla. The deceleration is weird because of the recapture of energy. I did not like that. All else cool and I'm sure I'd get use to it. Power is instant and feels like you are in a jet!

You can dial down the regenerative braking in the settings. But if you get used to it and learn to drive with it, you can actually almost entirely stop touching the brake pedal.

Reliable? You don't want a Tesla.

I really couldn't disagree more. The big (oil and auto) money corporate short campaign against Tesla is relentless and has a loud megaphone across the web to aid them. Tesla has had issues when launching new lines, but the mature products are excellent.
I can speak from experience--excellent reliability. One quick fix to a stuck mirror in three years (which they deployed someone out to fix). And there's virtually no maintenance. It's literally just wiper fluid and tires.
For this and many other reasons, I don't imagine ever owning another ICE vehicle.

Last edited:
I really couldn't disagree more. The big (oil and auto) money corporate short campaign against Tesla is relentless and has a loud megaphone across the web to aid them. Tesla has had issues when launching new lines, but the mature products are excellent.
I can speak from experience--excellent reliability. One quick fix to a stuck mirror in three years (which they deployed someone out to fix). And there's virtually no maintenance. It's literally just wiper fluid and tires.
For this and many other reasons, I don't imagine ever owning another ICE vehicle.
Tesla refuse to participate in the normal reliability studies and won't give data to Consumer Report and JD Power. So they do owner surveys and, yes, they've improved over the years, but it's still not where it should be for the premium price they demand. I put some links up that have proper, aggregate data numbers in them. They're middle of the pack at best for the Model S, bottom of the pack for the rest of the line up.

Single data points are useless here. For example, my real estate agent's Model S has been in the shop twice now for serious mechical issues. Does that mean they'll all have serious mechnical issues? Of course not. But it also invalidates the "my Tesla has been great, nothing but minor things" ancedotes as well.

I think there are far better ways to spend $100k+ on an automobile than a Model S P100D. They'll be more fun too. But, just my opinion.

Tesla refuse to participate in the normal reliability studies and won't give data to Consumer Report and JD Power. So they do owner surveys and, yes, they've improved over the years, but it's still not where it should be for the premium price they demand. I put some links up that have proper, aggregate data numbers in them. They're middle of the pack at best for the Model S, bottom of the pack for the rest of the line up.

Single data points are useless here. For example, my real estate agent's Model S has been in the shop twice now for serious mechical issues. Does that mean they'll all have serious mechnical issues? Of course not. But it also invalidates the "my Tesla has been great, nothing but minor things" ancedotes as well.

I think there are far better ways to spend $100k+ on an automobile than a Model S P100D. They'll be more fun too. But, just my opinion.

I'd be curious what year your agent's is.

I'd be curious what year your agent's is.
2019. I was joking he turns over cars really quick when he showed up in a Model X on Saturday but he said it was the loaner because the S was in the shop again.

It's really hard to avoid the "mine has been fine, therefore all are fine" trap. We all do it. Me too. I drive a GTI -- by all accounts a not-very-reliable car. But mine has been aces. So the stats are wrong, right? Probably not. Do I think it means mine will fall apart at any moment? Nope. I just have a higher than average chance of having an issue. Same for Teslas. Not all Teslas will have problems, but more will have problems than comparable BMWs.

Reactions: ESW
oh now you've really gone and done it :tearsofjoy::wink:
As a long suffering, multiple BMW owner who moved to Tesla, I just cannot agree.
Love Beems, but I'll take my, my friends', and my family's Tesla experiences against our collective Beemer maintenance histories ANY day :tearsofjoy:
I'm not denying the documented Tesla issues; I'm not some blind evangelist, here. But I know many people other than myself who are very happy.

CarMax has stopped selling Teslas because of all the reliability problems. The last reliability study I saw Tesla was dead last. Even behind Land Rover, Jaguar and (shudder) Fiat.

Land Rover reliability is legendary. There's a saying that goes something like: Lexus owners need glasses to find the section in the manual on how to bind their cell-phone. Land Rover owners need glasses to find the tow hook among the smoldering remains.

There's a similar saying about Fiat:
How do you get spare parts for a Fiat?
Just follow another one around.

CarMax has stopped selling Teslas because of all the reliability problems. The last reliability study I saw Tesla was dead last. Even behind Land Rover, Jaguar and (shudder) Fiat.

Land Rover reliability is legendary. There's a saying that goes something like: Lexus owners need glasses to find the section in the manual on how to bind their cell-phone. Land Rover owners need glasses to find the tow hook among the smoldering remains.

There's a similar saying about Fiat:
How do you get spare parts for a Fiat?
Just follow another one around.

Reminds me of the line about British cars: "You don't need a British car. A British car needs you."

oh now you've really gone and done it :tearsofjoy::wink:
As a long suffering, multiple BMW owner who moved to Tesla, I just cannot agree.
Love Beems, but I'll take my, my friends', and my family's Tesla experiences against our collective Beemer maintenance histories ANY day :tearsofjoy:
I'm not denying the documented Tesla issues; I'm not some blind evangelist, here. But I know many people other than myself who are very happy.
It's really hard to avoid inferring generalities from experience. But bigger data sampling suggests BMW is pretty good. Not Lexus and Acura good. But in the upper quartile.

Tesla needs to stop avoiding the game and play it -- give up real maintenance records to the surveyors. This would end the debate of whether they are or are not reliable.

Tesla needs to stop avoiding the game and play it -- give up real maintenance records to the surveyors. This would end the debate of whether they are or are not reliable.
Unwillingness to do that, ideally without being banged on, definitely doesn't inspire confidence in my book.

If it's British, it will leak oil :)
90% of Land Rovers are still on the road... The rest have finally made it to their destination.

Seriously though British cars are notoriously unreliable. My friend had a Triumph TR-7. I've never knew a car could break down that often. If it was a moving part it broke. Everything from radiator fans to the steering box to the rear end. Ridiculous. Oh, and electrical problems, yikes.

Back
Top Bottom