Anyone have an electric car?

I never understood where people got the idea that electrics are better then gasoline powered cars. Making car batteries ain't that good for the environment, quite the contrary, and they have to be replaced at some point. Just like the battery in your smart phone degrades from use. And they aren't zero emission, as the power that comes out of the socket has to come from somewhere. So instead of coming out of your car exhaust it now comes out of the fossil fueled power plant's chimney. Might be a little more power efficient as a gasoline engine ain't the most power efficient. But then again a combustion engine car doesn't need those car batteries that are shite for the environment.

If you want to save the planet its probably better to become more efficient in our power use then to chase like lemmings after technology that promises to ease our conscience but only serves to make a few people rich.

You're having a bad week? :)

FYI, not everyone buys one to "save the planet". I bought one because I like the look, I can charge at work for free, and in the end it saves me money. Also, because it's fast as hell and fun to drive for the price.

Never saw an electric car driving fast on the highway....Probably « range anxiety » ;-)

It's in no way practical, but if I had the (stupid) money I'd get a Hummer EV just so I could do the sideways thing. And 0-60 in 3 sec? For real?? What's the range doing that kind of thing, 10 miles?

I will always remember the desperate face of a foreigner in his Tesla when he discovered that there were no empty slot at the charging station...

I’m not enough zen for an electric car....but I was impressed by an i3 years ago.
I can’t imagine the Taycan !!!

I test drove a Taycan. Like getting shot out of a cannon. Incredible acceleration at any speed.
Yep, I have the dual motor 3. I've ridden in some fast cars but this was crazy. My lady was scared the first couple times I let loose from a stop. 0-60 in just over 3 seconds. Taycans are beautiful cars. That's dream car territory for me.

Is being critical such a bad thing? I have a few friends working in the car industry (I'm german, so most probably this is the case for almost everybody ;)) and we've been talking about this alot. I can +1 everything he wrote.

I’m renovating my house at the moment and as part of that I’ve installed solar panels. My next car will most likely be a Tesla. It‘s the obvious future to me.

Yep, I have the dual motor 3. I've ridden in some fast cars but this was crazy. My lady was scared the first couple times I let loose from a stop. 0-60 in just over 3 seconds. Taycans are beautiful cars. That's dream car territory for me.

How is loading guitar gear in a model 3?

There's also the possibility of the self-driving thing panning out.

For the Fractal owner, it's a lot of F5.

I had A3 e-tron hybrid for two years and thought it was great. As a commuter car in the bay area it hit all the right notes: it got me into the HOV lane during rush hour, solo driving.

And...that's all the notes it had to hit. :D

But yea, I've never kept an Audi beyond the lease term because I wouldn't want to pay to maintain one long term. Feel similar about all electric cars right now TBH.

Yep. Audis. Loved driving mine, hated owning them - at least when I got the third one. 5000 CS Quattro, 135K miles until I was hit at a stoplight and the car was totaled; 200 CS Quattro, gave up on it at 235k; '98 A6 3.2 - utter dog.

FYI, not everyone buys one to "save the planet". I bought one because I like the look, I can charge at work for free, and in the end it saves me money. Also, because it's fast as hell and fun to drive for the price.

Perfectly fine. Just realize that while you can charge for free, someone somewhere is still burning fossil fuels to charge your car and its no different then pumping gas on a company card. And I've never understood the appeal of picking a fast car, because unless you live close to the Nurburgring when can you ever put the pedal to the metal? There's speed limits, speed bumps and speed cameras everywhere.

There's a beverage in a sci-fi franchise, I think Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, I'm not sure, where if you drink it all the comfortable delusions you surround yourself with get stripped away and you become stark naked sober. That's how I feel as I get older. I feel that humanity when confronted with a major crisis goes, okay, what are the options? This, this, this, this. Okay, which one is the worst? Great, we'll pick that one. I finally understand crazy old coots because I've become one. And I understand why they get crazy, because they be dropping truth bombs and everyone looks at them like they're talking Chinese and goes on pretending that the emperor is actually wearing clothes.

I’m renovating my house at the moment and as part of that I’ve installed solar panels. My next car will most likely be a Tesla. It‘s the obvious future to me.

How is loading guitar gear in a model 3?
Not great but not bad. Really depends on what you want to load. Cab and guitar in the back trunk. AxeFx in the front trunk (when I get it....). Not as good as my Jeep Wrangler was but good enough.

Last edited:
I never understood where people got the idea that electrics are better then gasoline powered cars. Making car batteries ain't that good for the environment, quite the contrary, and they have to be replaced at some point. Just like the battery in your smart phone degrades from use. And they aren't zero emission, as the power that comes out of the socket has to come from somewhere. So instead of coming out of your car exhaust it now comes out of the fossil fueled power plant's chimney. Might be a little more power efficient as a gasoline engine ain't the most power efficient. But then again a combustion engine car doesn't need those car batteries that are shite for the environment.

If you want to save the planet its probably better to become more efficient in our power use then to chase like lemmings after technology that promises to ease our conscience but only serves to make a few people rich.

Whether an EV has a positive effect on the environment is a complex calculus. There are so many variables and those variables vary widely, so it's impossible to come up with a single answer that is correct for everyone everywhere at all times. The preponderance of the evidence however, is that over the long term, the impact is positive and becoming more so.

However, "better" for an EV includes factors other than just the impact on the environment. People buy EV's for many reasons.

Yep. Audis. Loved driving mine, hated owning them - at least when I got the third one. 5000 CS Quattro, 135K miles until I was hit at a stoplight and the car was totaled; 200 CS Quattro, gave up on it at 235k; '98 A6 3.2 - utter dog.
I've only ever leased my Audis and wouldn't do it any other way TBH. I'd also only lease an electric -- or at least plan to turn it over after the HOV sticker expired on it on CA. No point keeping a Tesla in CA if you can't get into the HOV lane with it.

Whether an EV has a positive effect on the environment is a complex calculus. There are so many variables and those variables vary widely, so it's impossible to come up with a single answer that is correct for everyone everywhere at all times. The preponderance of the evidence however, is that over the long term, the impact is positive and becoming more so.

However, "better" for an EV includes factors other than just the impact on the environment. People buy EV's for many reasons.
Do we even have long term evidence? They've been popular for only like a decade.

The torque is such a thrill though, makes me shriek and giggle whenever I'm in my friends' Teslas.

HOV lane access or GTFO, right? :D

I don't believe we have any HOV lanes in SLO county, but you still see plenty of EV's and hybrids :).

In the long term, one key benefit of EV's is: you can make improvements to the power generation source. However, once an ICE is on the road, its efficiency and impact on the environment will never improve.

Back
Top Bottom