Anyone have a REAL Recto patch?

Just a quick/basic question... the 4CM approach would be the best way to take advantage of the TripRec's poweramp/coloring scheme, correct?

No, the 4 cable setup uses the preamp and poweramp of the amp and the AXEFX is only used for effects. To just use the poweramp section of the amp you just run the output of your processor into the FX RETURN of the amp. That bypasses the preamp section and only used poweramp.

Just an update...
After 1000 view of this thread I still have got zero patches from anyone who actually owns a real Triple Rec. I have been PM'd by many people that have the same issues with the poweramp/AXEFX setup wanting to know if I would let them know if I figure it out. I've still been tweaking and there may be some magic PEQ setting or global EQ that will transform it but not yet. If anyone actually has a triple Rec like I do and can sit and a/b the two and figure it out you would be my hero.

hey schlagdog, could you

- record the Triple Rec's send output

and

- the Axe patch you're using so far

and mail me the recordings?
dmail.jpg

(I know they'll sound horrible without a cab.) ;)

thanks.

Last edited:
hey schlagdog, could you

- record the Triple Rec's send output

and

- the Axe patch you're using so far

and mail me the recordings?
dmail.jpg

(I know they'll sound horrible without a cab.) ;)

thanks.

Do you just run those through a spectral analyzer then match up frequencies? I have all the Waves PlugIns and have the PAZ Analyzer that I know will do that but I just never used it during tweaking. I've actually got a pretty good and close direct tone using my cab IR with the poweramp sims turned off on the axe. Which I never did before while using my own IR's. Which actually makes some sense since I already used the poweramp section of the mesa to make the IR's. Can you turn the poweramp sim off without going to the global section just by some tweaking?

Last edited:
I seem to be the only person who actually owns a triple rec and and AXEFX? Seems like this can't be possible, maybe someone will stumble along by the time I'm back from having NAMM overload.

Last edited:
Four-Cable Method...know what it is before dismissing it as an invalid solution!

No, the 4 cable setup uses the preamp and poweramp of the amp and the AXEFX is only used for effects. To just use the poweramp section of the amp you just run the output of your processor into the FX RETURN of the amp. That bypasses the preamp section and only used poweramp.

schlagdog,

When you say: "No, the 4 cable setup uses the preamp and poweramp of the amp and the AXEFX is only used for effects. To just use the poweramp section of the amp you just run the output of your processor into the FX RETURN of the amp. That bypasses the preamp section and only used poweramp" it is evident that you've never run a 4CM-rig (and that's OK!) and that you don't really understand what it means or what it's advantages are. That said, there is a bit of truth in your statement, but it is misleading...

In a true 4CM-setup, one has the option of EITHER using the front-end of the "real" amp in question (in which case your statement would be true about probably using the Axe-FX for effects only.) HOWEVER, in a 4CM-setup, one also has the option of "bypassing" the "real" amps input stage and instead, using the Axe-FX's pre-amp stage AND effects, which would then get powered from the output-section of the "real" amp (via the FX-return jack.) The best way to think of a powerful 4CM-setup is that it's like putting your "real" amp into the effects-loop of your effects-processor/amp-modeler - in this case the Axe-FX.

When the signal-path is (user-programmably) closed by going from the Axe-FX's effects-loop SEND to the input of the "real"-amp, THEN what you said is true - that the preamp & power-amp of the "real"-amp will get used.

HOWEVER, when the signal-path is (user-programmably) closed by the Axe-FX OUTPUT going to the "real" amp's FX-Return, then the "real" amp's input/preamp-stage IS NOT USED! Instead the Preamp-models in the Axe-FX then feed the "real" amp's Output/Power-Stage, which then feeds a speaker (or speakers.)

All of that "4CM only allows for Axe-FX effects usage" is nonsense....After all, why would you need four (4) cables if you were simply running the Axe-FX (just for it's effects) in a simple serial/mono effects-loop? (....which is essentially what you're explaining 4CM to be, which it clearly is NOT!)

You might want to get your facts straight before you you tell someone who is trying to help (like Triaxis75) that their advice couldn't possibly help you, when you're NOT even straight on what his four-cable method (4CM) advice even means?!?

In fact, the 4CM-setup is EXACTLY a good solution if a user wants to:

- use their existing power-amp stage and speaker(s)
- use their existing pre-amp for certain sounds
- still use a modeler (the Axe-FX) for some other pre-amp sounds AND it's effects

You could have your "Recto-Cake and eat it too!" - LOL!

1000 views and no help? I am shocked!

Best of luck with your tonal-pursuits.

Bill

I should have said the SIMPLEST way to just use the poweramp section of the amp. I was trying to keep it simple since it seemed he never used the 4cm on the AXEFX.

I don't own a Triple Rec, but do own a Mark V plus the FX-II (and still have the Ultra as well).

I love the MARK V its what I was going to buy before the AXEFX then my waiting list number came up. You ever dial it in to the Petrucci settings and sit for hours running the AXEFX into its power section and try and copy it? The Triple Rec is a real struggle to copy. If I decide to ever sell the AXEFX it will be to get the MARK V. Then again I'm leaving for NAMM tomorrow and will probably come back wanting 5 other amps and the MARK V.

I have a triple recto and a mark v, but still waiting on an AxeFx II so I'm no help...

I've just about given up on the AxeFx and a poweramp sounding good. Let me know if you ever get your AxeFx and can get any REAL amp tones from it. I'm getting some usable direct tones but through a cab it really lacks.

Hmmmmmm???? I just have a 5150 II and a Mark IV not a recto but I've been able to dial in 2 patches for those that sound and feel really close to the real deal
especially with the 5.01 update.
I'm getting pretty comfortable tweaking this thing, my buddy has a Dual recto, I'll get in touch with him and see if I can borrow it for a few days and see
what I can come up with. A convincing Recto tone is something I want as well, I don't gig anymore so it's not as important to me running thru the power amp, but I still
want to be able to do it and have a good patch for (or 2 or 3) for recording.
BTW, what type of Recto tone are you going for? a Petrucci? A Nevermore? a Cannibal Corpse?
Kowing that would help to.
My Axe goes thru a Mesa 50/50, what power amp are you going to run this thru?

Hmmm, I have a Single and a Dual and I can dial in the Axe to sound exactly like them. I'm using a Carvin FET power amp and a Meas 4x12.

Hmmm, I have a Single and a Dual and I can dial in the Axe to sound exactly like them. I'm using a Carvin FET power amp and a Meas 4x12.

I'd love to see a patch for that because I've been running my AXEFX through the power section of my triple rec just to copy it for months now and have no luck. I'm trying to downsize from having 5 heads sittings around but no luck yet.

Back
Top Bottom