Anyone have a REAL Recto patch?

Glass Houses and The Stones!

I didn't realize starting out a reply with USER ERROR was the proper helpful way to reply to people on this board. My reply has no attitude in it. I just said there was not patch trying to help with a tone just the usual fractal board attitude of YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Which I was hoping I wouldn't get but knew I would. That's why I was just asking for a patch for some help. Like I said, not one person has offered a patch yet.

schlagdog,

You are correct. No one has offered/uploaded a patch yet...

Sorta reminds me of this thread (click below) where NOT ONE (1) person asked for a patch upload/post, but FIVE (5) people asked - LOL!...How did that work out for THEM?

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/43747-my-attempt-petrucci-tone.html

Just sayin...

Bill

I think there's some harshness in both responses.

But anyway, Schlagdog, complaining about nobody providing a preset won't help a lot.
Especially as I looked up your recent posts and I can't spot much (if any) help offered by you to others.
Repeatedly accusing the entire "fractal board community" won't help either.

Instead of offering a patch to help out your response was USER ERROR. There wasn't one thing in your post that was anything other than the usual fractal board attitude. If I could have helped out with a patch for someone I might have just said "I have a good one that I use but I'm at work and will try and send it to you later". Instead just like always anything other than thinking the thinking the AXEFX is the greatest in every occasion is met with attitude. I just read RA's guitarist on here having recto issues and his producer telling him his sound was too digital. How about you message him and ask for his producers email and tell him he doesn't know anything and he is having "User Errors" in his recording studio. I've gotten perfectly great direct tones with the AXEFX that I am very happy with. Just no luck in a poweramp setup so far and I would love to figure it out.

yeah Bill, a.k.a. Ra's guitarist was having user error too. He was using an IR with a baked in mic sim while trying to use the mic sims from the cab block. So, yeah, get me that email addy. lol.

Truthfully, I'd like to help ..., but my set-up couldn't be further from what you're using. I'm strictly FRFR, and that won't do you any good. Tweaks that I'd use won't help you and vice-versa ....

Unfortunately, I think you might be in a minority in terms of how you're setting up your Axe-II ....

You could try to give a few more details on exactly what you've done that hasn't worked ? It would help anyone willing to make suggestions that could keep you from duplicating your efforts.

Good Luck !

I can't give you a patch because I don't have a recto. I do have a Lonestar though, and I find I can get similar Lonestar tones running through the power section of the Lonestar. Not exact though, but I probably could given enough tweaking. I've found the new speaker resonance tab to be very important when running through a tube power section. Especially the high frequencies there. I turn it mostly off. Also remember that the knob positions probably won't match with the Axe so use your ears instead of your eyes, especially with Mesa amps. I think of it like "more treble than mids, bass more than both" rather than "treble 11:00, mid 9:00, bass 1:00".

Also, if you have a triple rec, why are you trying to model it? Why not just use the triple rec 4CM?

Witch hunt. Sure the OP might have a blunt attitude but the responses have been OTT IMO. Yek, everyone is starting out at some point, maybe he doesn't have enough experience to help others yet. Does that make him unworthy of help? I thought not.
To the OP, sorry I can't really help, I run FRFR. But if you can't get any patch to sound good through a power amp/cab setup then it sounds like there's something wrong in your set up or the way you're constructing patches. Check out the Axe wiki if you haven't already. Yek's patches have some great examples (and he is using power amp/cab), I don't recall anything really heavy in there but it might give you some ideas or point you in the right direction. Also check out Smilefans patch thread III, some good tips in there.

Cheers.

schlagdog,

You are correct. No one has offered/uploaded a patch yet...

Sorta reminds me of this thread (click below) where NOT ONE (1) person asked for a patch upload/post, but FIVE (5) people asked - LOL!...How did that work out for THEM?

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-recordings/43747-my-attempt-petrucci-tone.html

Just sayin...

Bill

Funeral helped me out so I know hes a good dude, in fact he reworked a patch of mine and I DIDNT EVEN ASK. ON the other hand He and I get frustrated when others post or brag about sounds and dont offer up their patches; just when I was feeling a bit bad for you, I was reminded of the above, and Im in it requesting your patch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holly shit does Karma suck! kettle black glass houses etc.

Even Yek has poked fun at me and I take it in stride, because he is extremely helpful!!!

I will say I cant stand it when people suggest achieving something is sooooooo easy but they dont help with a patch etc. this is NOT directed at any one but general. Sharing and tweeking patches as was finally achieved on the few other petrucci / triaxis debates was quite helpful.

Funeral helped me out so I know hes a good dude, in fact he reworked a patch of mine and I DIDNT EVEN ASK. ON the other hand He and I get frustrated when others post or brag about sounds and dont offer up their patches; just when I was feeling a bit bad for you, I was reminded of the above, and Im in it requesting your patch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holly shit does Karma suck! kettle black glass houses etc.

Even Yek has poked fun at me and I take it in stride, because he is extremely helpful!!!

I will say I cant stand it when people suggest achieving something is sooooooo easy but they dont help with a patch etc. this is NOT directed at any one but general. Sharing and tweeking patches as was finally achieved on the few other petrucci / triaxis debates was quite helpful.
I didn't add that patch because at the time I had no idea how to even load it to the board and the ones I tried to load never worked. I just never even went back to that thread so I didn't even know anyone asked for it. I'd be more than happy to load that patch and any other patch I have recorded I was happy with and I have uploaded any IR I made and tried to get any patch up I recorded. If anyone likes any tone I seem to produce i would love to give it to anyone who asks. When I post clips now I always try and include the patch since I actually can get them to upload now. Forgetting to upload the first patch you ever made on the AXEFX isn't exactly the same as asking for a good real recto patch that anyone has A/B'd isn't exactly the same. I'm not getting patches because most peeps don't have a bunch of amps like I do to actually a/b stuff. I'm just trying to get the Fractal to replace all these amps and get into an awesome small rig. I too am at work all day long but posting a patch as soon as I get home isn't a huge deal now that I know how to since I didnt when I wrote that thread forever ago and never knew anyone asked for it.

Last edited:
Well I'm pretty new too this whole "modeling" thing, but I was actually working on this very same thing myself today .
I run my II out to a Mesa 50/50 power amp out to 2 2X12 recto cabs.
I went thru a few iterations of trying to dial in a good recto sound and actually got a great one today.
What I did today
1. turn off the power amp sims
2. turn off the cab sims. (this will make you bring up the volume on you real power amp quite a bit)
3. turn the master volume up to 5 (at least). this one thing made a big difference for me. I was getting a 'distant' type of comperessed sound , it didn't sound like a real amp.
when I turned the master up to 5 and set the level at about 2:00 it got much better, it brought the sound up to the front of the cabs and gave it that "whooomph"
that a real amp will give you (especially a recto) that had been missing (from a lot of the presets and user patches I've downloaded)
I also bring the presence to 12:00 noon and tweak from there. (I believe cliff had stated that with the cab/power amp sims off that setting this to noon was where to start?)
I threw a Ts808 in front with the drive off the tone at 11:00 and the level up around 4:00 oclock.
I'm going to work on it some more tonight , I'll pm it to you (if I can attach a file to a Pm) and if you think it's any good I'll share it up for the forum.
Are you looking for a lead patch or a rhythm patch?
I go back and forth all the time when I play so I will kind of set my own patches to work for both (delay on/off that sort of thing)

Here is what Im going to do. Im going into my studio tomorrow because my old lady uses it as a work out/training area for her students and I have to put ANOTHER piece of workout gear together. My recto triple and recto cab are there. Im going to build 1 or 2 patches on the newest firm ware, even though I still have no idea what the OP is looking for. After this I consider myself null and void of this entire post. Im sorry if I have offended, but I only call them like I see them.
I will make your recto patch, I hope you like my style of rectum...I mean recto.

Edit: I will be watching this thread from my phn from 8 am to about 9:30 (central) just in case the OP lets me know what kinda tones hes going for.
Love you fahqers :)

Last edited:
Here is what Im going to do. Im going into my studio tomorrow because my old lady uses it as a work out/training area for her students and I have to put ANOTHER piece of workout gear together. My recto triple and recto cab are there. Im going to build 1 or 2 patches on the newest firm ware, even though I still have no idea what the OP is looking for. After this I consider myself null and void of this entire post. Im sorry if I have offended, but I only call them like I see them.
I will make your recto patch, I hope you like my style of rectum...I mean recto.

Edit: I will be watching this thread from my phn from 8 am to about 9:30 (central) just in case the OP lets me know what kinda tones hes going for.
Love you fahqers :)

Recto red gain 1:30 bass 12:30 mid 11:30 treble 12:30 master 9:00 and I usually run a screamer. I can't get anything with the fullness and things just seem to be flat and compressed always.

Well I'm pretty new too this whole "modeling" thing, but I was actually working on this very same thing myself today .
I run my II out to a Mesa 50/50 power amp out to 2 2X12 recto cabs.
I went thru a few iterations of trying to dial in a good recto sound and actually got a great one today.
What I did today
1. turn off the power amp sims
2. turn off the cab sims. (this will make you bring up the volume on you real power amp quite a bit)
3. turn the master volume up to 5 (at least). this one thing made a big difference for me. I was getting a 'distant' type of comperessed sound , it didn't sound like a real amp.
when I turned the master up to 5 and set the level at about 2:00 it got much better, it brought the sound up to the front of the cabs and gave it that "whooomph"
that a real amp will give you (especially a recto) that had been missing (from a lot of the presets and user patches I've downloaded)
I also bring the presence to 12:00 noon and tweak from there. (I believe cliff had stated that with the cab/power amp sims off that setting this to noon was where to start?)
I threw a Ts808 in front with the drive off the tone at 11:00 and the level up around 4:00 oclock.
I'm going to work on it some more tonight , I'll pm it to you (if I can attach a file to a Pm) and if you think it's any good I'll share it up for the forum.
Are you looking for a lead patch or a rhythm patch?
I go back and forth all the time when I play so I will kind of set my own patches to work for both (delay on/off that sort of thing)

If you want Recto Red tone, you also need a 11db boost at 120hz after the amp block. Cliff said this himself, he didn't model the bass boost after the tone controls in the Red mode.

If you want Recto Red tone, you also need a 11db boost at 120hz after the amp block. Cliff said this himself, he didn't model the bass boost after the tone controls in the Red mode.
crap I forgot about that little tidbit
More tweaking,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I for one cant wait, funeral, and thanks. full disclosure to all, I play frfr and have no real amps. My ultimate sound is (in pun intended bull durham type list) super thick , sounds quad tracked when live, non buzzy slightly scooped, chest thumping, ringing gain for days, only slightly at most compressed, easy on the ears, chuggalicious, normal 6 string tuned, non muddy, sounds good on its own (or in a mix ) molten metal mayhem.

sure "they" say there is not as much gain as you think on albums, but live , in warmups at a recent prog metal fest, I heard some of the sickest thickest deepest gain around.

for what its worth I guess its touche on yer post, u didnt know funeral was at work (how could you), and U didnt go back to yer post (though now ya know, post a sound, good to post the patch); thanks for posting if you can.

Last edited:
Okay. Yesterday was a huge waste for me. Got to the studio with axe-fx in hand. Walk in the door and had to deal with the GF's stuff for 6 hours. Never even took the cover off the rack. I have a MLK luncheon today , but tomrrow I will be headed back to make that patch.
More to come.

Last edited:
I wish I could help, but I don't have any Recto patches. If I did, I would happily share them with everyone on the board.

Sorry,

Kevin

Just a quick/basic question... the 4CM approach would be the best way to take advantage of the TripRec's poweramp/coloring scheme, correct?

Back
Top Bottom