Anyone have a 'pet' stock cab?

zenaxe

Fractal Fanatic
I recently used Fractool to do an analysis of what cabs I am using and which ones I am not (mostly to free user slots) and it confirmed what I already knew, for the stock cabs I *really* like the humble, old school, 4x12 Cali (F065). IRL I never would have guessed this would be a fave (CL80s? Srsly?) but it really works for me for a lot of presets and styles. Anyone else have any stock IRs that seem to work for everything or acts as a starting/reference point for new presets?

Mostly the 4x12 1960B V30 (RW) for clean and fuzz tones and the 4x12 FRACTAL GB M160 for overdriven amp tones. I've played a guitar riff into a looper and cycled through all the cab models and those were my choices. The 4x12 5153 cab models also sounded very nice, but not that different from the 4x12 FRACTAL GB M160, so I opted to only use my first two choices.

I find myself using cab 158 more with 7.02. Combined it with Brit 800 and I may use it as my default combo

Before I started using aftermarket IR's exclusively, this was my go-to:

043 — 4x12 RECTO SM57 — Mesa Rectifier 4x12, Shure SM57, UltraRes (Cab Pack 5/14).

I find myself using cab 158 more with 7.02. Combined it with Brit 800 and I may use it as my default combo
Had to look that one up:
158 — 4x12 MARS BW G12 ROOM MIX (TAF) — Marshall Basketweave 4x12 with Pre-Rola G12M speakers, UltraRes. Specifically intended to be used in mixes in the box.

Interesting... I have most of the TAF stuff. Mine is a MkII so I think I don't have that cab as a factory cab but may have it available as one to load.

I find myself into G12H speakers right now (Greenbacks used to be my exclusive goto) so that new cab 57 from Q7 has been a major winner for me in addition to that 4x12 Cali I mentioned earlier:
057 — 4x12 MAR PR-H55 FULL (OH), based on a pre-Rola 55 Hz cone Celestion G12H-30, from Cab Pack OwnHammer 412 MAR Green Vintage - UltraRes. Before firmware Quantum 7.00: 4x12 SLM H75 (OH) — SLM Electronics 4x12 with Scumback H75 speakers.

Had to look that one up:

Interesting... I have most of the TAF stuff. Mine is a MkII so I think I don't have that cab as a factory cab but may have it available as one to load.

I think that one is among the "extra" IRs in the firmware bundle.

I find myself into G12H speakers right now (Greenbacks used to be my exclusive goto) so that new cab 57 from Q7 has been a major winner for me in addition to that 4x12 Cali I mentioned earlier:
I'll have to check that one out. I've been using the Orange cab from CabIR.eu which is a G12H30 - really great sounding to me.

Haven't really used the stock cabs...
Since I am using a real Zilla fatboy cab, I am also using a Zilla fatboy IR.
Just seems to make sense.
Though, I should capture my own IR of my own particular cab... That would be cool.

The SLM V30 that went away a long time ago. I did a tonematch of it and still use it as a starting point for most crunchy tones.

4x10 bassguy m160

It sounds great for many things and the low end seems more balanced for my taste.
With the latest FW updates finding a great ir or amp has gotten much easier! :)

Omg this thread is just what I needed!!

Been at rehearsal all week for a tour and last rehearsal day we went in-ear so I tried AX8 stereo to the board just for fun.
Much better string separation than the miced amp we would have to deal with there (Fender deville 4x10).

So today I'm re-doing my "pedalboard-patches", but slapping a cab block in there (there was already an amp in there so CPU wasnt much of a problem), though I can't decide which one.

Oh and hey if anybody wants the patches just shout. :)

Last edited:
My go-to cab is still the old 4x12 Cali from the AxeFx Gen 1 firmware, that was later removed in ~2010. But it was available on the internet for free download so I converted it to Ultrares format and use it up to today.

EDIT: Here's what I got so far, pedalboard with 2 clean amps and 2 delays mix tied to EXP

EDIT2: Pride

Attachments

• Afghan FX1.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Pride.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I like 126/130/174 (All 4 x 12). Those are my GoTo's.

126 and 130 are tonally very similar. I use some Marshall cabs here and there as well, but I find the recto cabs work better with the Marshall amps...for me. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom