Anyone have a live streaming set up?

henryrobinett

Fractal Fanatic
I'm putting together a live stream set up for my studio and I feel I'm just walking out of the fog. Anyone do this?

We'd been getting our feet wet with iPhone cameras and Switcher Studio. That's fine, but I have these really great cameras that output HDMI. It makes sense to use them since they're here and set up. I'm getting ATEM Mini Pro and planning on using OBS Studio. The messy part is the rooms are separate so I can't plug them direct. Luckily I have two ethernet, cat6 ports from the main tracking room to the control room, where I'll be with the ATEM. Cat6 to HDMI extenders. So I'm going a little crazy here.

So sorry it's real nerdy right. I figured there should be someone out there who knows a lot more than me. I'm in the deep end. LOL. Anyone use an ATEM?

i only use 2 cameras, so i prefer to use capture cards for the HDMI signal and use OBS to arrange and change what's on screen.

the ATEM line looks great, but i'd only get that if i needed 4 cameras. that would mean most switching would happen on the ATEM, and not via OBS, unless there's a way to sync those things. i believe the ATEM has limited camera arrangements, 4 up, picture in picture, etc. it can only do what it is programmed for.

in OBS, i can arrange anything anywhere, resize, etc. more capture cards means more computer CPU needed, so at some point, an external HDMI switcher is needed. so i try to stay within whatever my computer can handle so OBS can take care of any layout designs.

Love the ATEM!! It streams direct from the unit (no need for computer) and records the stream on a hard drive. If you use the ISO, it will record all 4 cameras + the stream. And you can write Macros that can cycle through your connected cameras. Highly recommended. Get the pro or the ISO if you want to record all camera streams.

Thst's great. I'm planning on using OBS as well. That's kind of in the form of a question. I want to take the audio d=from my DAW so I don't know whether the ATEM will the video to the Mac or that I'd send the audio to ATEM. I understand there's a sync issue. I have four cameras so it's good for me. If I could get it to do it all from the ATEM that'd be great.

I don't know enough about OBS but you can do it all with the ATEM. And there are some tools out there for figuring out the audio delay compensation you'll need to sync them up. Check out Aaron Parecki's YouTube channel. He has some really good information on all of this

Thank you. It would be very convenient to do it all in ATEM if I can send the audio from the computer! Otherwise I have no problem linking the 4 cameras in ATEM and treat it like a webcam on the Mac. It's arriving today, so I can experiemnt in little ways. I have one HDMI input I can use today. The extenders don't arrive until tomorrow. The big experiemt is using a wireless HDMI cat6 extender that is officially not supported. Boy if it wors I'm in business. I'm just afraid it's either not going to work at all or introduce too much noise to be useful.

From the sounds of it, it sounds like you could benefit from using NDI for the video. The ATEM is a great piece of equipment and I have used them before, but with different spaces you may want to look into NDI video options. Wit’s NDI there is low latency and the video is available to any device on the network. You‘d need NDI encoders from someone like Birddog, but that could work for your other spaces. There is also an NDI plugin for OBS. The ATEM is great, but checkout NDI if the HDMI over Cat doesn’t work out.

Last edited:
Here's my test. I bought an ATEM MMini Pro but I have to install a couple of extra wall plates. Maybe next week. So for now it'll be Switcher Studio and iPhones with audio from Metric Halo ULN-8s.

My heart has broken with the passing of my hero Chick Corea, so we will give a tribute concert in his honor tomorrow. If you click this link 10 minutes before show time it’s will be active. There’s also an eventbrite invitation. It’s a free concert but donations are always welcome. And please share!

Please help us create a new way, for us, to share our music!

https://henryrobinett.com/live-stream.html

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-henry-robinett-group-live-tickets-142013260485

Back
Top Bottom