Anyone have a good ODS-100 lead patch?

bjjp2

Power User
With my Ultra I used to live on the HAD-ODS amp and got great singing lead tones. Passably Robbenish. With the II's ODS-100 lead amp model, the preset sounds terrible to my ears--muffled and throttled--and I can't seem to dial it in anywhere near my old patch. Anyone have any success with this amp model?

You're right. Tried to delete and repost but can't seem to find how to do it. Can mods move to proper forum? Sorry.

No help here. I would think the dumble model amp would be really fun to play especially after playing a Fuchs ODS amp. The Fuchs amp is a dumble ODS clone that sounded really good, maybe the best tube amp I have ever played. Sounded just like recordings I have heard with a dumble. But I haven't been able to get close with the axe-fx yet even with version 2.0. To me it is the worst sounding amp model on the axe-fx which is unfortunate. It should be better given how amazing the other amps sound.

No help here. I would think the dumble model amp would be really fun to play especially after playing a Fuchs ODS amp. The Fuchs amp is a dumble ODS clone that sounded really good, maybe the best tube amp I have ever played. Sounded just like recordings I have heard with a dumble. But I haven't been able to get close with the axe-fx yet even with version 2.0. To me it is the worst sounding amp model on the axe-fx which is unfortunate. It should be better given how amazing the other amps sound.

Sadly, I agree. To me, the ODS-100 sounds kind of muffled (for lack of a better term). Perhaps if I paired it up with a better speaker cab/IR...or I played around with the power amp stuff...I don't know. I just find that I'm really struggling to dial in a great tone with the model.

Sadly, I agree. To me, the ODS-100 sounds kind of muffled (for lack of a better term). Perhaps if I paired it up with a better speaker cab/IR...or I played around with the power amp stuff...I don't know. I just find that I'm really struggling to dial in a great tone with the model.

Since I doubt Fractal actually owns a Dumble I imagine it would be hard to A/B against it every time they release a new firmware update or design (II). Maybe the company was loaned a Dumble at one point to model and had to give it back, I don't know I am just speculating. Maybe they just modeled it with using a schematic and never played it. But most of the models are so good now when compared to the real amp, that something seems off with the ODS.

I do agree that a Two Rock or the previously mention Fuchs amps really capture that Dumble vibe and tone. Pick one of these amps and add it to the wishlist.

Last edited:
Cliff has done the Dumble after a real amp. The ODS100 that is. The other 2 "Specials" where just from schematics.

If it has changed, it's probably to be more authentic. If that's muffled to some ears, then that's what a Dumble sounds like :D

I've never played a Dumble but I've played Two Rocks, Quinns, Fuchs, Glaswerks etc. I've also heard lots of recordings and clips. The Ultra was in the ballpark. The II isn't to my ears.

I took the ODS100 preset and threw a Tube Driver Block in front of it. Sounds awesome
tweeked the preset a bit but i think it sounds great

Here are some clips that Scott Lerner did with an AxeFx (Ultra I think). Pretty convincing to my ears.
Be warned, Scott's a guy that can make anything sound good. I think he posted that patch. You could start with that
patch and create a Axe II one pretty easily I would think. I'm not at home to see if I have it at the moment,
maybe somebody else will chime in.

http://scottlernermusic.com/axe/DminAxeFx2.mp3
http://www.scottlernermusic.com/axe/BadMarinMilk.mp3
http://www.scottlernermusic.com/axe/BubblyOneFXre.mp3
http://www.scottlernermusic.com/axe/DMinAxeFxVerbIR.mp3
http://scottlernermusic.com/axe/HATaxe2.mp3

The ODS100 model comes alive with a drive block before it, even if it's just a clean boost. On the AxeII the Input Trim is a feature to tweak a little or a lot, along with Triode 1 & 2 Plate Frequencies and the Hi Cut and Low Cut (pretty much tweak every parameter until you hear what you think a Dumble sounds like).

The legend is that Dumble tweaked the amp for each player - so there is no Dumble sound but a lot of Dumble sounds. David Lindley, Robben Ford, Santana and SRV each achieved 'signature' sounds which sound nothing alike.

On the Dumble Clone forums, there's a lot of people tweaking a lot of components to get what they associate with the Dumble sound. Ironically, what most people associate with the Dumble sound is probably best achieved with a Fuchs.

I took the ODS100 preset and threw a Tube Driver Block in front of it. Sounds awesome
tweeked the preset a bit but i think it sounds great
This is key, IMO. Haven't played with the input trim, though. That sounds very promising. I hadn't thought of that one.

One big problem with getting a particular D-style tone out of the AxeFx is the way a real D-style amp's controls interact between the clean channel and OD channel. Without that ability to adjust the gain staging, you lose some ability to find the tones in the physical amp. I really like the idea of the input trim. That seems like a great way to get that adjustability inside the amp block.

i love the dumble lead tone i'm getting now! anyone else agree w/ firmware 4.0???

can someone suggest cabs to pair w/ it?

Back
Top Bottom