Anyone have a dual HB guitar with parallel switching?

I have a Ibanez RG652 AHM.. this is the wiring. There is no Series/Parallel switch but I'm thinking of adding it..
It sounds ok but I'm not crazy about the Tones...

I like the sounds better in my RG655's with the HSH Combination.

View attachment 75280
Yeah, it's just that middle position but with the bridge in parallel with itself that I'm interested in. Times like these, I wish I had a beater guitar to do this kinda stuff on.

Yep. I prefer humbuckers to single coils for MY playing...I love the tones OTHER people get with single coils.
Cool! Could you record a quick clip with a clean tone? It can even be a DI one. Just normal humbuckers like the middle position on a Les Paul, then switch the bridge to parallel. If you have to option to run the bridge in series and the neck in parallel, that could be thrown in too :D

I had one with the triple shots. So you had every possible option.
I have a strat model with hot rails that I also switch Series/single/parallel.
One knob for outer pickups, and one for the middle.
This gives me lots of combinations.
I've also been experimenting with a freeway switch on a HH-guitar.
You can have lots of combinations.

I like this:
1. Bridge Hum Parallel
2. Both Hum Parallel
3. Neck Hum Parallel
4. Bridge South coil single coil (the one most inwards)
5. Outer coils - neck is flipped so I get humbucking parallel
6. Neck south (outer) single coil

I've done the same on my Anderson Cobra T with a 5-way switch
One exactly do you mean by one knob for outer, one for middle? Do you mean the tone knobs, or series/split/parallel switching?

Cool! Could you record a quick clip with a clean tone? It can even be a DI one. Just normal humbuckers like the middle position on a Les Paul, then switch the bridge to parallel. If you have to option to run the bridge in series and the neck in parallel, that could be thrown in too :D
I don't have my Axe III at home. Hopefully we'll have practice on Sunday and I'll go early and record a clip for you. The bridge pickup is a Dimarzio Super Distortion if that matters.

I don't have my Axe III at home. Hopefully we'll have practice on Sunday and I'll go early and record a clip for you. The bridge pickup is a Dimarzio Super Distortion if that matters.
Super Distortion is good, because my particular guitar has a bridge pickup in the same vain. But if you have something other than the Axe to record with at home, that's fine too :)

I have three guitars with dual 'buckers and s/p switching for each pickup. Using both pickups with one or the other pickup in parallel mode can get some sweet sounds. Whichever is in parallel loads the other, and skews the mixed sound in the direction of the parallelled pickup. Bridge in series, with neck in parallel tends toward the stock Tele sound a bit. Neck in series with bridge in parallel tends to have a bit more 'bite' from the bridge pickup, like a Tele with a neck humbucker or P90. Throw in a phase switch or 1/2 OOP switch, and there is a whole new range of combination tones there....

I have three guitars with dual 'buckers and s/p switching for each pickup. Using both pickups with one or the other pickup in parallel mode can get some sweet sounds. Whichever is in parallel loads the other, and skews the mixed sound in the direction of the parallelled pickup. Bridge in series, with neck in parallel tends toward the stock Tele sound a bit. Neck in series with bridge in parallel tends to have a bit more 'bite' from the bridge pickup, like a Tele with a neck humbucker or P90. Throw in a phase switch or 1/2 OOP switch, and there is a whole new range of combination tones there....
Cool! If you too can find the time record something to demonstrate the tones, that can't hurt ;)

This looks like a nice 4p5t super switch arrangement....
I have 2 Ibanez both are wire same, I generally dont use the parallel single coil (is that the context?) do you Joe? But I can try and record something if that helps...

One exactly do you mean by one knob for outer, one for middle? Do you mean the tone knobs, or series/split/parallel switching?
One guitar with two humbuckers each with a triple shot switching system from Seymour Duncan.
It gives you all the possible combinations.

I guess just as easy as flipping a toggle switch or even better than turning a knob.
It's very easy when you're not using a plectrum.
Otherwise, it's harder switching between series and parallel because you have to change two switches.

I know you're really wanting to hear this, but unfortunately there's no time at all (barely time to write until the end of the year), but I just wanted to add my two cents. I have a Washburn Trevor Rabin, with an SD 59 in the neck and JB in the bridge, and recently I drilled in two two-way toggle switches to go between series / parallel for each pickup. I also copper tape shielded everything and created LP / SG wiring using two dual concentric pots with individual treble bleed on each pickup. Anyway, I just wanted to chime in that the parallel sound on each pickup is really cool. I loved both of those pickups split, but I can't stand the hum, so I opted for parallel instead. Very easily with the right settings in the AxeFX, I can totally go into the Strato-sphere with tone, by rolling back on the volume knobs and engaging the parallel on each pickup, but it's still not as stratty as the single-coil sound, maybe something more akin to P90 stuff...maybe, but I like it a lot. Wonderful blues tones. But the real difference in series / parallel, at least for these pickups on this axe, comes into view when you roll back the volume knobs. With the volumes at 10 the difference is not nearly as striking. Running the guitar full throttle at high gain you wouldn't really tell the difference. But really, with edge of breakup stuff, the series / parallel difference is awesome. Also, since I made it possible to switch the pickups between series / parallel individually, in the middle position I get really interesting combinations, like keeping the neck in parallel and the bridge in series, or vice versa. All sorts of tone soup.

Your goal here is anti-mud, I know, and honestly, I think you might more directly solve what you're after with something like the Humbucker from Hell by DiMarzio; that thing is specifically designed for that purpose. Either that or try the parallel, but maybe also add a treble bleed and roll off the volume knob a bit. I use the V-Treb by PMT, which allows you to set the amount of bleed via a tiny plastic screw; it's remarkable.

Maybe in the new year I'll have time to touch my guitar more, and then I could try to post a recording, but in the meantime, best of luck with this!

All the Best.

I finally had a chance to play for two seconds. It's the same thing played twice (intro to Did It For The Money by Tesla) on my neck humbucker (Duncan '59), the first time in series, then in parallel. I had my volume knob about halfway down, and I didn't change anything between the two times except flipping my mini-switch. I don't know how different series vs parallel might sound on another humbucker, but here's one example, at least. :)

I finally had a chance to play for two seconds. It's the same thing played twice (intro to Did It For The Money by Tesla) on my neck humbucker (Duncan '59), the first time in series, then in parallel. I had my volume knob about halfway down, and I didn't change anything between the two times except flipping my mini-switch. I don't know how different series vs parallel might sound on another humbucker, but here's one example, at least. :)

Nice clip! I might have been unclear, but I'm interested in the middle position with one of the humbuckers in parallel, preferable clean :) So:

Both humbuckers in series with themselves (LP-style, for reference)
Neck series, bridge parallel
Neck parallel, bridge series

Again, good clip. Just not what I'm looking for. Cheers mate!

Nice clip! I might have been unclear, but I'm interested in the middle position with one of the humbuckers in parallel, preferable clean :) So:

Both humbuckers in series with themselves (LP-style, for reference)
Neck series, bridge parallel
Neck parallel, bridge series

Again, good clip. Just not what I'm looking for. Cheers mate!
Thanks! I only remembered there was someone looking for a parallel example haha.

I recently had a Musicman JP16. My favorite tone on that guitar was the middle position with the tone knob/switch pushed out.
In the middle position that gives you the 2 middle coils in parallel! Very sweet single coil type sound!
Below is a link to the diagram for the pickups and switches. Scroll down & Look under the Controls area.

https://www.music-man.com/instruments/guitars/jp16

Back
Top Bottom