• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Anyone have a dual HB guitar with parallel switching?

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
I have a HH guitar that I'm going to rewire. I have never been a fan of the standard middle position on a Les Paul, just too muddy. So I'm doing something different. I'm already going to have the option of the inside coils in parallel on the 5-way, so going for the outside coils is just not unique enough.

So I came up with brilliant idea to wire one of the humbuckers in parallel for the middle position, to get a more tele-like tone. I'm not sure of which humbucker though. On paper, it should be the bridge, to simulate a Keith Richards tele-tone.

Could somebody who has a HH guitar with individual series/parallel switches, record a quick clip for me? Just something like:

Neck series - bridge series (for reference)
Neck parallel - bridge series
Neck series - bridge parallel

Cheerios!

Jeries

Power User
I have a HHH guitar with 3 series/parallell switches and a 3 'both/half/off' switches

I don't think Lawrence Petros is still here/a fractal guy/in this group but he installed it for me

Muad'zin

Fractal Fanatic
I have a HHH guitar with 3 series/parallell switches and a 3 'both/half/off' switches

I don't think Lawrence Petros is still here/a fractal guy/in this group but he installed it for me

How do you even keep track of which setting is on for which pickup? :grimacing: I always found that I had my switches on at the wrong setting, which is why I desoldered all my coil splitting switches and no longer bother with them.

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic

Would you mind just making a short clip? Just something clean. Could be something funky, country, or even just a scale up and down ;)

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
How do you even keep track of which setting is on for which pickup? :grimacing: I always found that I had my switches on at the wrong setting, which is why I desoldered all my coil splitting switches and no longer bother with them.
I kinda agree. I used to be like "ALL THE SOUNDS ARE MINE", but I try to keep it simpler nowadays. A 5-way and a switch or P/P with a sixth sound is just right IMHO, usually switching a bridge humbucker from series to parallel/split.

Dave Merrill

Fractal Fanatic
One of my guitars has pretty interesting switching. 3 old Dimarzio PAFs, with 3 series-off-parallel mini-toggles and a 5-way. There are 76 electrically different coil combinations. Some are similar to others, but they're actually all different, and all nominally humbucking

And yes it can do the combinations you want :)
I'm not super well set up to record these days, and I've been playing my strat more lately, so my presets are mostly built for that, but I'll see what I can do.

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
One of my guitars has pretty interesting switching. 3 old Dimarzio PAFs, with 3 series-off-parallel mini-toggles and a 5-way. There are 76 electrically different coil combinations. Some are similar to others, but they're actually all different, and all nominally humbucking

And yes it can do the combinations you want :)
I'm not super well set up to record these days, and I've been playing my strat more lately, so my presets are mostly built for that, but I'll see what I can do.
Hi!

Thanks a bunch :) The preset doesn't have to be anything special. Heck, you can even just do a DI track instead. Then I can just reamp it :cool:

666was999

Power User
One more idea. Split both humbuckers and put the them in series.
To me that's like another bridge humbucker with a different flavor.

PRS Custom 24 with 5 way switching have that. It's not on all models.
But you might find youtube clips to listen what it sounds like.

For schematics search PRS Megaswitch P Schaller online.

madmarcus1960

Inspired
I like HBs in parallel quite a bit. I often prefer it to splitting coils. I went through a phase of wiring a few of my cheaper guitars with 3 way on-on-on switches to afford total flexibility of HB in series, HB in parallel, and split. To many choices in the end. :blush:

Dave Merrill

Fractal Fanatic
I didn't get it recorded but I spent a while in this neighborhood today.

None of this is unexpected, but at least with these pickups...
  • Both in series is noticeably louder than any of the parallel combos
  • Whichever pickup is in parallel somewhat dominates the tone
  • All these combos were fun

Just to clarify are you talking about series switching? Standard guitar wiring is parallel. Series couples both pickups and makes them one big pickup. I have several humbucker guitars that have a series/parallel switch. Honestly, I don't use it that much but it causes a bump in volume and increases the bass response. These guitars also have a switch that taps the humbuckers so only the outer coils are on. My favorite tone is the tapped humbuckers in series. It is a single coil-ish sound without the hum. I think this is position 3 on PRS guitars with the 5 position rotary switch.

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
Just to clarify are you talking about series switching? Standard guitar wiring is parallel. Series couples both pickups and makes them one big pickup. I have several humbucker guitars that have a series/parallel switch. Honestly, I don't use it that much but it causes a bump in volume and increases the bass response. These guitars also have a switch that taps the humbuckers so only the outer coils are on. My favorite tone is the tapped humbuckers in series. It is a single coil-ish sound without the hum. I think this is position 3 on PRS guitars with the 5 position rotary switch.
As stated in the OP, I'm talking about series/parallel for individual pickups. Running 2 humbuckers in series always sounds like snot hanky :tearsofjoy: IMHO. I don't think I've liked any style of pickup for running 2 separate pickups in series with each other. Works for Brian May though.

The PRS thing isn't actually taps. Taps and splitting are 2 different things. A tap is a secondary output that has partial the amount of winding compared to the primary.

warlockII

Power User
I recently switched my push pull pot from coil split to parallel and am MUCH happier. I always liked the idea of coil splitting, but when playing with the band, I almost always switched back to full humbucking mode within moments. I play multiple songs now (rock cover band 70's - current) with my bridge pickup in parallel mode.

MisterE

Fractal Fanatic
I had one with the triple shots. So you had every possible option.
I have a strat model with hot rails that I also switch Series/single/parallel.
One knob for outer pickups, and one for the middle.
This gives me lots of combinations.
I've also been experimenting with a freeway switch on a HH-guitar.
You can have lots of combinations.

I like this:
1. Bridge Hum Parallel
2. Both Hum Parallel
3. Neck Hum Parallel
4. Bridge South coil single coil (the one most inwards)
5. Outer coils - neck is flipped so I get humbucking parallel
6. Neck south (outer) single coil

I've done the same on my Anderson Cobra T with a 5-way switch

guitarnerdswe

Fractal Fanatic
I recently switched my push pull pot from coil split to parallel and am MUCH happier. I always liked the idea of coil splitting, but when playing with the band, I almost always switched back to full humbucking mode within moments. I play multiple songs now (rock cover band 70's - current) with my bridge pickup in parallel mode.
Do you happen to have it in a guitar with 2 humbuckers? :D

Rain

Fractal Fanatic
I have a Ibanez RG652 AHM.. this is the wiring. There is no Series/Parallel switch but I'm thinking of adding it..
It sounds ok but I'm not crazy about the Tones...

I like the sounds better in my RG655's with the HSH Combination.

1605817089724.png

Top Bottom