Anyone got any tips for settings levels?

neale dunham

Experienced
I'm finding that when using my Axe 3 into my Vht 2502 power amp that i need to run my signal on the layout zoom page well into the red in order to generate enough onstage volume?

To keep the signal behind the line on the meters i have to dial out the level by in some cases -30db+ and therefore the sound is not hitting the power amp hard enough to generate a loud enough signal to my mesa cabs. Is this normal??

I have Output 1+2 settings on +4 db in I/O Audio.
Power Amp modelling is off
Cab sims are off
Sag is turned off (strangely the variac still seems to work)??

How much can i run into the red on the V.u meters as i cant really tell whether the output is being clipped. Especially on high gain settings

Can anyone point me in the direction of being able to set my Levels correctly for this type of setup?

Hi Chris,

So, Output1 knob on front set to 12 noon
Vht on MAx
Amp block level -30db
if you don't get enough level out of the Axe, why not turn the Out knob up more?

-30dB is a bit low for most amps. i agree, upload a preset that you "need" to set to -30.

regardless, if you're hitting the "mid" line on the VU meter, then that's plenty of level. as i mentioned, if you can turn the Out knob up more, try that.

Even if i turn the front Output knob up full it still seems underpowered.

The only way from here that i know is to increase the amp level but that means encroaching into the red.

If i get a chance tomorrow yek i will post a preset,

How much can i dip into the red safely speaking?

Even if i turn the front Output knob up full it still seems underpowered.

How much can i dip into the red safely speaking?
this doesn't sound right.

the "red" on the horizontal VU meter in the Layout menu isn't bad. all the way right and over, that's clipping. but again, there is plenty of level sending out of the Axe when set to the "mid" line of the VU.

with that and Out 1 set all the way up, i have to set any Mixer i use to 0 gain on the channel. that's a good, solid signal. if you're actually sending that and there isn't enough "volume" on the stage, something isn't connected properly, the amp isn't set properly, or the amp doesn't provide enough amplification.

give us the details of your VHT amp and the cab. if you're running at 16 ohms, and the wattage is reported at 4 ohm ratings - which many companies do - the amp isn't providing what you want.

i don't think the fault is the Axe for this. give us the gear details and we'll go from there.

Don't be afraid to turn up the Amp level. The VU meters are calibrated such that there is 12 dB of headroom at the red line when the Output Level knob is at maximum.

I level my presets from the scene levels at the output block is it right I don't know but it works for me, I've done it with the amp block level also but those are the only two I have used.

Managed to work out how to send a preset finally.....

Hopefully this should work guys. To keep the preset within the Vu red limits on the layout screen I've had to take out the Amp block to -40db?

Is this correct? Most presets i have constructed are between -20 and -40 which seems too quiet for my VHT 2502 50 watt power amp which is plenty loud enough.

Also i am trying not to crank the output masters of the power amp unless i really have to for obvious reasons 12 oclock on my Vht 2502 is plenty loud enough on my other rack pre's

Attachments

• Vox ac 30 -40db.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
I had to insert a cab block for my rig, but my opinion is you have far too much input trim, and far too little level, try input trim at 1 and Level around -11?
but nice taste in tunes...I am hoping The Who perform Substitute when I see them in around 5 hours...!

ahh, ok so reducing input trim will allow me to boost amp block level? Maybe i need a drive pedal in that case to get in the ball park for the gain i want or will that kill any advancements?
Enjoy the gig dude!

Hi Yek,
Bradlake suggested reducing the input trim which i have reduced to zero and it doesn't change the meter level to allow more volume as suggested?

ahh, ok so reducing input trim will allow me to boost amp block level? Maybe i need a drive pedal in that case to get in the ball park for the gain i want or will that kill any advancements?
Enjoy the gig dude!
I will, if the shitty weather here in Chicago lets me...they are performing with a full orchestra this tour, and I saw Daltrey solo w orchestra last year, and it was the best voice Roger was in since the first time I saw them live in......1968!

That should be set at the default value, which is: 1.

Don’t change it from the default value, except in specific cases.

If the amp Gain is too high, dial back Input Drive (not Trim).

Back
Top Bottom