Anyone got any tips for settings levels?

The output knob is maxxed.

The Vht is 50% so knob at 12 oclock.

Can i get into the VU red any further do you think? or is this not advisable?
i wouldn't put it in the red because then you can't do any boosts since you already used up the headroom.

just for conversation, now with all the info, this thread sorta appears like this to me:

"i have my Axe output at 50% and my VHT output at 50% and i'm not getting enough level." well... then turn those things up :)

i do understand possible tone change from the power amp being turned up, but amps are meant to be set as loud as required.

if you have the Axe all the way up and then you just get more level out of it by pushing the preset up, you are probably clipping the input of the VHT because again, the Axe sends a LOT of level out if everything is maxed.

i think the solution here was always to turn up the VHT more, as that is the source of amplification.

Ok Chris that makes sense, i just didn't know if there was something inherently wrong with the way i set up the preset.

I thought i would start at the Axe first, before last ditch > turn up the VHT!! (which if i'm honest is what i would have to have done anyway) but in the name of good tone, i tried to see if i could work it another way, but seems not, so no biggie huh?

Just to clarify, Can i use some of the red to boost into? if so how much is recommended?

Ok Chris that makes sense, i just didn't know if there was something inherently wrong with the way i set up the preset.

I thought i would start at the Axe first, before last ditch > turn up the VHT!! (which if i'm honest is what i would have to have done anyway) but in the name of good tone, i tried to see if i could work it another way, but seems not, so no biggie huh?

Just to clarify, Can i use some of the red to boost into? if so how much is recommended?
Anything before it clips all the way to the right. Your call.

Are you wedded to the VHT, or it’s a matter of time/& ???

Many of us use a “clean” amps (solid-state or a big headroom toobz), then into the speakers of your choice; trad. Cabs, FRFR, both, etc.

Good luck.

Oh, by the way input trim is usually noted in the context of changing the primary input of say a Fender to the “normal“ low channel by put it by setting it at 0.5 so you get a clean pre-amp section.

On the other hand I often set it at 1.1, 1.2 as an answer to the lack of a treble bleed circuit on my guitars. It helps keep the treble from dropping on volume rolls for me somewhat.

But almost always I leave it at the default value of one as many others have noted.

Not necessarily "wedded" it just seems to provide a solution for me.

The VHT has an internal bias switch that allows me to run 6L6's on one half of the amp and EL34's on the other half.

This way i get the best of both worlds. Nice fat cleans with Chunky lead Rhythm sounds.

Ive tried the SS route and because i only use back line, and don't use a front of house or PA system, I find that the solid state units sound well.... Solid state! even with all of the PA modelling sims etc switched in it still lacked something for me.

Valve power is where it is at for me and i would like to find a solution whereby i can run Output 1 from the Axe into an EL34 Power Amp into a nice Celestion creamback and then run Output 2 from the Axe into a 6L6 based amp into a Mesa cabinet loaded with Evm12L.

Then set the Axe to switch using scenes to control the output switching dept.

I have set up this rig already and about to use it live. It seems to work ok but the downside is its very heavy to lug about so if any guys out there know of a better solution im all ears!

Does anybody know if such an amplifier exists.... EL34 on one side and 6L6 on the other? as the VHT is ok but not perfect or perhaps keep the amps separate but only 1u rack space each maybe?

Please post some suggestions....

Back
Top Bottom