Anyone go from XL to AX8 ?

mwd

Power User
I just ordered an AX8 to attempt to slowly migrate my Ultra from my live show. Primarily due to Editor issues honestly.

I have a XL at home for recording. I am contemplating, since I'm really not a power user, that if I bond with the AX8 I might sell my other Fractal units and pick up another AX8 for consistency and true compatibility.

Has anyone else given up their XL (happily) for an AX8? Does the AX8 pull off presets like Poltergeist Pig and Crystal Echoes?

I would be less happy with an AX8 for computer-attached recording. Re-amping isn't as easy on the AX8 (you have to use the analog in) for example. Having both is very powerful. They play nice together too! Run the AX8 in 4CM mode through the XL and feel the power.

This is something you can only judge for yourself in the end....I could never give up my Xl+, but I luv my AX8
As well...and there are certainly folks here who have gone all AX8

Thanks. I'm not much of a re-amper and these would always be at different locations.

I have an AX-8 and love it for live use, but have absolutely no intent to ever ever get rid of my XL, or my mkII for that mater!

I did with a thought of selling my II, but quickly found I missed the near limitless ability to create with the II

Want to run two amp chains ? two cab blocks, two reverb blocks, etc etc ? You can do it with the II

the AX8 is very meat and potatoes, sounds great, great form factor, but you can only run one amp, you often need to pick and choose what effects to use due to CPU limitations, or supplement external pedal for things like reverb.

Its a great tool, but there are a lot of things the II can do the AX8 can't, and for me, I missed them

I'd consider a AX8 a nice addition to a II though, grab and go type of setup, but for recording, more complex patches etc, the II offers some cool features.

This is such a great question, mwd! I've been pondering this myself. I love my XL+ to death, but I worry about schlepping it around town in its Gator case. I worry that one of these days I'm going to show up to a gig and it won't turn on because of road vibration, or from getting jostled around with my other gear. I treat it like a computer. I guess I could get a super beefy road case, but then it's not so portable. AX8 seems to fill that need perfectly. I never run two amp blocks simultaneously, and I'm definitely not breaking any records with my effects chain. AX8 could be perfect for local gigs. Very interested in seeing what the community says!

I play 2 sets per week at the same locations and have an Axe II rig at each location as well as one at home for programming and recording. I also bought an AX8 for travel gigs. Recently I realized however, that it would be far easier to just use my AX8 at both locations and for travel gigs instead of managing programs and firmware updates across 3 rigs. I also realized that it has been way too convenient to just show up with my guitar, plug in, turn the system on, play, unplug, and turn the system off!!

I primarily play live and have yet to do any home recording. I've contemplated getting an AX8 to replace my XL+ (and spare AFX II) for gigs, but I do like using dual amps and cabs on some presets, and like having more CPU available for all the other bells and whistles. Also, I REALLY like the fact that I run a single XLR cable from the rack to the MFC 101, instead of running power and stereo audio cables to an AX8 the front of the stage. It's a bit more to bring to the gig, but worth it to me.

I primarily play live and have yet to do any home recording. I've contemplated getting an AX8 to replace my XL+ (and spare AFX II) for gigs, but I do like using dual amps and cabs on some presets, and like having more CPU available for all the other bells and whistles. Also, I REALLY like the fact that I run a single XLR cable from the rack to the MFC 101, instead of running power and stereo audio cables to an AX8 the front of the stage. It's a bit more to bring to the gig, but worth it to me.

I think some people forget about this aspect... the cable running.

I have both an XL and an AX8. I use the XL for any show where we travel by truck / bus, and for local shows. I use the AX8 for fly dates. I love them both. The dual-amp / dual-cab setups are awesome, and that's really where the XL shines. I also use the XL for studio work.

I personally couldn’t go ax8. For one I play Music Man Petrucci’s so I need 2 inputs for the magnetic and piezo, two I like 2 amps per preset so that I can switch between clean and dirty seamlessly, 3 I like to set my preset up like a pedal board with almost every fx I like available by IA switch so the lower cpu would be a deal breaker.

I personally couldn’t go ax8. For one I play Music Man Petrucci’s so I need 2 inputs for the magnetic and piezo, two I like 2 amps per preset so that I can switch between clean and dirty seamlessly, 3 I like to set my preset up like a pedal board with almost every fx I like available by IA switch so the lower cpu would be a deal breaker.

Ditto and ditto to everything that's been said here.

I had the AX8 for live playing and it is bloody good. However for some of those extra's that you may need, you'd go Axe FX all the way. I had the AX8 and sold it to go back to the Axe FX 2. Ultimately it depends on how you intend to use it and what's important to you. I can't stress that enough. In the well known words of James Hetfiled, nothing else matters..

Keep your Axe-Fx for studio work and buy an AX8 (now on sale!) for gigs!

That's what I do -- best of both worlds! I'd miss either of them!

Just bought an AX8 for shorter and more simple gigs. Hopefully going to use it Friday night for a quick 30 minute set and then use my XL+ on Saturday for 3 hours :)

Purchased an AX8 hoping to have an ultra quick setup. When I started converting my patches over, I quickly ran out of processing power, and realized 99% of my presets run 2 amp blocks for seamless transitions and more options per patch. My AxeFxIIXL rig is small in comparison to my old Dual Rec stacks, so I'm content with my setup.

Back
Top Bottom