Anyone find that they use the same cab, regardless of amp?

I found that I could get several amps to play nice with a single cab by adjusting the Low Frequency Resonance setting.

I use different pairs of amps on an XY switch set up on my MFC and a single cab .Using the LF resonance setting in this way seemed to make a nice compromise between different tones, while still giving an overall coherence as I switched between the amps live. I still sound like me.

This is one of the things I love about the Axe. ...having the variety of IRs that you could never have w real world cabs.

I'll have my favorite for a while, then change. I used F049 for a long while, because I liked the high end and the overall balance for various genres (and good on single coil and humbuckers). But lately, I jump around and enjoy discovering and rediscovering IRs.

I will say though, that to have a uniform sound throughout a show, I have tended to use as few IRs as possible (often a single one). I change Amp blocks a lot, and using the same IR is a good way to keep a cohesive song-to-song sound for me and to make it easier on FOH. Lately, I have departed from that more and more since I've gotten confident about my skills in dialing in IRs.

It's fun to mix 3rd party IRs in Cab-Lab too! I use about 50% Hi-Res factory cabs, 25% stereo Hi Res w two factory IRs, and the rest Cab-Lab 3rd party mixes OR one 3rd party mixed w a factory IR in a stereo Hi Res Cab block.

Single cab: #132.

The M160 IRs from the corresponding Cab Pack sound even a little better (I like single mic IRs), but they're close to the stock cab, and using a stock cab is just easy.

103 has been my go-to cab. Marshall - heavy and edge of breakup amp sounds. Sounds great in recordings too.

When I redid my rig from scratch over the Christmas holidays I cycled through many IR's and found the I liked factory cab 103 a lot as well, so I auditioned the M160 TV 4x12 IR's from the FAS cab pack. I also did a lot mixing IR's in CabLab during that time and found I preferred a single IR vs a mix (or, more accurately, any mix I came up with).

I was also listening to my Orange Rocker 30 thru my Marshall cab with G12-65 speakers while testing IR's. I was looking for an IR that was similar to what I was hearing from the cab. The Orange/Marshall has a certain mid grind/detail that I love and wanted to get that character.

I settled on "TV 4x12 160 C" and that's the single IR I'm using for all of my presets at this time. I'm a Marshall 4x12 guy and cycle through the many available amps until I find one that works with that IR for a tone I'm after. I was using a custom IR mix previously and like the single "TV 4x12 160 C" a lot more.

I like that IR a bit more then the factory TV mix 103, but could use the factory cab, no question; great cab/IR. I really like the TV cab/IR's, and the M160 mic in particular. I can do a lot with just that one cab/IR.

I use a single IR for the reasons a few have mentioned; consistency over presets and FOH/mix, simplification of the rig, etc. It's working for me, definitely...

Last edited:
Count me in the camp that thinks the cab block has by far the greatest impact on tone. Take an amp that is sounding not so good and try it with different cabs. All of a sudden it can sound incredible once you find the right cab.

I usually use different IRs but gravitate towards ones that are made by OwnHammer. They always have a sound that fits my tastes the best. ML IRs are my second choice. Least favorite is probably the RedWirez stock cabs, those tend to sound fizzy to me.

I get worried that, since the IR adds so much to the sound, that using the same IR too much will push all my presets towards sameness. I feel the same way about tweaking the inner workings of the the amp blocks - sure, there are things I like in an amp, but if I mess with all of the models to emphasize those things am I just making everything the same? So I at least try to stay in the right ballpark in matching up an IR. For instance, most of the early Fender models really should have 10" speakers in the IR.

Balanced against that is the fact that a large bunch of the factory cabs just don't sound very "present" to me. As an example, I like the Shiva amp block, and I can get it to sound pretty much the way that I remember a friend's 1x12 combo Shiva to sound, but I cannot find a way to like the Shiva factory IR. It just sounds like it's off in another room.

I have found, though, with one of the software releases last year a whole bunch of the IR suddenly sounded much, much better to me. So I've been going through and re-auditioning them all over again.

I use factory cab #34 a lot. I like it with the Plexi models, Dweezil's Bman, and the Tucana. I use a user cab for my clean amps. I do not recall where I got it, but it is just da bomb with clean amps. So I basically just use 2 cabs, at least for now.

Last edited:
I use factory cab #34 a lot. I like it with the Plexi models, Dweezil's Bman, and the Tucana. I use a use cab for my clean amps. I do not recall where I got it, but it is just da bomb with clean amps. So I basically just use 2 cabs, at least for now.
that is also my favorite IR with marshall type amps...

Back
Top Bottom