Anyone experienced this? Please help!

FantomasXD

Inspired
Hey guys, this is an interesting problem I've come across and i need help figuring out if its a glitch or it's me being stupid.

Here goes...

When I'm creating a patch and place an amp in a vacant block then adjust the paramaters of the amp, e.g master level, drive, thunk, character, etc.
I want to be able to keep these settings and save it to a global block, then open a new preset, load this global block into it, save the global block AND THEN change the amp while keeping the excact same settings.

Am i missing something here? as soon as i change the Amp it resets all of the settings i previously had. This is very frustrating and i feel like i've just got good with the AXE and i am loving it. I would love for someone to help me so i can get back to it!

Thanks in advance

Global block links amps among different presets so they are always the same.

Anytime you change an amp type, the advanced and a few other settings change. This is completely unrelated to Global blocks, so what you want to do isn't really possible.

Damn! Thanks for your prompt reply. Is there any way to make similar patches easier? instead of changing every little parameter every time i try a different amp. or am i barking up the wrong tree?
Cheers!

save your first amp as a global
go into your new preset and load the global 'unlinked' [load from block(no link)]
rather than linked [load from & link with block]
this means that the amp you load will have all the same settings as the global, but when you make changes they'll only effect this amp and not the global

I figured that idea would work BUT i don't know if its an axe edit issue or not but it doesnt actually do it! it flashes like its about to load then it does nothing. Should i try this on the face of the axe?

don't save as a global first. just save the first patch where you created the original tone and then recall the amp from that patch into the other one. it'll copy the amp over and then you may find you can change amp type without losing your settings. be aware that changing amp type will reset the master volume and all advanced parameters, but the tone controls should stay put

edit: lots of replies appeared while i was writing this one. apologies for duplicating info

When you change amp types, the advanced parameters change to match the defaults for the new amp type. IMO, that's a good thing.

If you had two real tube amps, would you really want to have all the knobs set to the same value on both amps, or would you dial in each amp to find its sweet spot?

Thats true Rex. Thanks for the replies everyone. So the thunk and pick attack etc will stay but not the settings on the first page you see?

Actually i just tested that and it still changed the thunk and what not. So whats the point of global blocks haha?

YAY. It looks like you can do it. Instead of axe edit i loaded global block(without link) and it worked. For some reason axe edit doesnt do this. it must be a bug. This makes things alot easier!

Actually i just tested that and it still changed the thunk and what not.
When you change the amp type, the advanced settings (including Thumk) and the Master will change to match the amp. The basic settings, like Bass, Mid and Treble, will stay the same.

So whats the point of global blocks haha?
Global amps let you use the same amp with the same settings across multiple presets. Any change you make to the amp will also change all other presets that use the same global amp block.

Global block is so when you change the amp bass setting on preset 1, when you go to preset 2 (which has the same amp linked as a global) the bass will also/already be changed there too for a consistent sound.

Again, it has nothing to do with changing amps.

I feel like you are editing and creating tones with your eyes and not your ears. "I turned Thunk to 7.6 in this preset, so in my next preset I need to turn it to 7.6."

That's not necessarily true. Every amp sounds different. Listen to what the parameters actually do rather than where the knobs are.

To make different versions of an amp with small incremental changes and so on it's a good idea to have one preset bank b or c all empty and store all good tries in a sequence, so you can jump between the different similar presets and get an impression what sounds best. When you have something ready move it to it's place among your goto presets.
As long as you work in an empty bank C you don't have to worry about your good settings, you can fool around there. Nothing worthy that you could overwrite by accident.

I would avoid using global blocks while making tries, they are rather there to store final results afterwards.

I figured that idea would work BUT i don't know if its an axe edit issue or not but it doesnt actually do it! it flashes like its about to load then it does nothing. Should i try this on the face of the axe?

avoid AE for this sort of thing
the latest AE is better than before but still a bit buggy

use the front panel

to save / recall globals, double tap the "fx bypass" button

Cool! Thanks a lot everyone. You guys are legends. I think I'll just tweak every amp separate because like it was said they all need different settings. I originally thought I could just save some time when tweaking multiple patches. Good fellas you's are!
Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom