Anyone experience with Satellite Sessions?

This seems interesting - wondering if it provides a lot more than swapping stems. If everyone's projects refresh automatically when there are updates then I suppose that would make things fairly easy, especially for the less tech-savvy folks.

We just trade stems on Dropbox. Has worked well for years now. Everyone bounces from zero. then DAW doesn't matter that much.

But that limits the editing possibilities, doesn't it?

There are also 'Source Connect Now' and 'Sessionwire', but Sessionwire is presently for Mac only - for Windows to come soon. They provide real time collaboration with minor latency. Combined with Zoom, all members can have a hand at controlling the DAW in a writing/recording or mixing session. We've ben using this method and it's very cool.

We've been trading stems as well on GoogleDrive. Then I have the master project in Logic and I setup a call using Loopback with Skype/Zoom/FB Messenger (with a screenshare of my mix) and do the mix realtime with the guys. It works really well, but still not as good as in the same room.

The advantage though, is everyone is hearing the mix over different speakers so you get a lot of useful input from the guys.

I haven't heard of 'Satellite Sessions', but we did give JamKazam a try (which seems similar in some regards) but it was an awful experience with latency. It was much easier to get the guys to pre-record and share stems afterwards.

Whoa, this is awesome!!!

My childhood buds and I are currently recording all the covers we used to do in high school by sending things back and forth via Dropbox. We’re all using Logic and this would speed things up considerably! Never mind once we delve into writing, which is entirely why we’re starting off with covers, so we can get an idea of how we’re going to pull it off.

We got on Zoom a few weeks ago and all had our mixers/interfaces taking care of all the audio, I was blown away that we were actually playing together without any latency. Like, NONE. I don’t know if we got it on some magical night or what, but we were playing songs without an issue for a good 2-3 hours.

We’re definitely going to check this out!

Whoa, this is awesome!!!

My childhood buds and I are currently recording all the covers we used to do in high school by sending things back and forth via Dropbox. We’re all using Logic and this would speed things up considerably! Never mind once we delve into writing, which is entirely why we’re starting off with covers, so we can get an idea of how we’re going to pull it off.

We got on Zoom a few weeks ago and all had our mixers/interfaces taking care of all the audio, I was blown away that we were actually playing together without any latency. Like, NONE. I don’t know if we got it on some magical night or what, but we were playing songs without an issue for a good 2-3 hours.

We’re definitely going to check this out!
@RevDrucifer, were you all just live on Zoom, no plugin or sci-fi tech, just live in your browsers? Or were you using the above plugin?

@RevDrucifer, were you all just live on Zoom, no plugin or sci-fi tech, just live in your browsers? Or were you using the above plugin?

Just live on zoom! I wish we would have recorded it. We’re going to do it again soon and I’ll get video next time (though we tend to drink a bit and our conversations are like 150% NSFW). When we first logged in we checked how bad the latency/lag was by having the drummer just click his sticks and one by one we all played a staccato note to match up with him, everyone was dead on.

We tried doing the same thing back in like, 2003 with AIM, it was hilarious. I was using a Line 6 Guitar Port, they were up at Berklee with a set of V-Drums and a MIDI clarinet....it was all over the place and off by like 15-20 seconds. That might have been some of the worst sounds I’ve ever heard come out of speakers!

Back
Top Bottom