Anyone ever try a "high tuned" 7-string?

unix-guy

Master of RTFM
I've had an idea bouncing around my noggin for years, but have never acted in it: I want to use a 7-string that uses an additional top string rather than one on the bottom. Tuned like a standard guitar but adding an additional high B string... I'd even be ok with dropping it a whole step and running D - A.

Two things stop me:
  1. No 7-string in my possession
  2. Not sure where I can find a high string that would tune to the desired pitch
Anyone ever try this or know anyone that did? If I could get access to the right string, I could try it (conceptually) with a 6-string by leaving off the low E.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I never tried it and neither do I know anyone in person, but coincidentally I have read about that topic in Wikipedia last week: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven-string_guitar#Solid_body_electric_guitars. I can imagine that the high string would be prone to breaking on a 25.5" scale guitar, even if you used a very light string gauge like a .008. But then again, I have no experience whatsoever.
I know there is a company that makes special strings, but the want something like $4+ shipping for a single string!

I'll take a look at the link. Thanks!

I have no experience with such a tuning, but wow that would be able to achieve some soaring high pitch notes. Very intriguing.

Your singer will either love you or hate you for that extended high range.

I have no experience with such a tuning, but wow that would be able to achieve some soaring high pitch notes. Very intriguing.

Your singer will either love you or hate you for that extended high range.
My thought is that I don't really have a need to fight with the bassist for sonic territory, but who doesn't love those high notes? And, I think it would facilitate some cool chordal stuff... I love chimey clean stuff!

Wait- if you're dropping it a whole step the top string would be a G not an A
It would be difficult going from E-A, down a whole step it would be D to G

Anyway-

So
FIRST THING- I've done it...

It's definitely not a problem if you're going to tune a step down D-G- not an issue
An 008 will get you there- also- D'Addario makes a super cheap 007 that would work just fine- wouldn't recommend the 7 for stage because you won't feel it so much

There is a string company that can make any string withstand almost any tuning with the right scale length- and I was just fighting with them over facebook comments- because - while i understand they're hand made custom ordered- they should mass produce the super light gauge strings because i'm not paying $8 a string plus $5+ to ship it when it's going to break in 2 seconds anyway- I think the company itself is run poorly and if you're a 100 string bass player they're your only option but really disenchant a huge part of the custom string market- anyway....

I have to say- while I've done it- I like my 30 fret ibanez better...
It's great in theory and in your mind- but in actual use/practicality- it's not that great

Keep in mind- every string only adds a few more notes (a 6 string bass can only hit 5 more notes than a 5 string bass and all those are notes you probably won't be hitting anyway)

So- I've done it- you can do it- it's not as cool as you think and not very practical

On the other hand- I'll tell you what I liked-
And I still keep and use it-

I have an Ibanez Mikro- with a set of 7's on it... I tune it UP to A... A-A
It's basically like a guitar with a capo at the 7th fret- it's a little more comfortable and still pretty cool-

I love it and like it a lot more- and kept it that way
It won't be as practical as you think it will be with voicings- and and with lead stuff- not that much extra - so- you know- try it

But don't be disappointed you can't get up to an A without buying octive4pluswhatever's overpriced strings- if you want a high A

Wait- if you're dropping it a whole step the top string would be a G not an A
It would be difficult going from E-A, down a whole step it would be D to G

Anyway-

So
FIRST THING- I've done it...

It's definitely not a problem if you're going to tune a step down D-G- not an issue
An 008 will get you there- also- D'Addario makes a super cheap 007 that would work just fine- wouldn't recommend the 7 for stage because you won't feel it so much

There is a string company that can make any string withstand almost any tuning with the right scale length- and I was just fighting with them over facebook comments- because - while i understand they're hand made custom ordered- they should mass produce the super light gauge strings because i'm not paying $8 a string plus $5+ to ship it when it's going to break in 2 seconds anyway- I think the company itself is run poorly and if you're a 100 string bass player they're your only option but really disenchant a huge part of the custom string market- anyway....

I have to say- while I've done it- I like my 30 fret ibanez better...
It's great in theory and in your mind- but in actual use/practicality- it's not that great

Keep in mind- every string only adds a few more notes (a 6 string bass can only hit 5 more notes than a 5 string bass and all those are notes you probably won't be hitting anyway)

So- I've done it- you can do it- it's not as cool as you think and not very practical

On the other hand- I'll tell you what I liked-
And I still keep and use it-

I have an Ibanez Mikro- with a set of 7's on it... I tune it UP to A... A-A
It's basically like a guitar with a capo at the 7th fret- it's a little more comfortable and still pretty cool-

I love it and like it a lot more- and kept it that way
It won't be as practical as you think it will be with voicings- and and with lead stuff- not that much extra - so- you know- try it

But don't be disappointed you can't get up to an A without buying octive4pluswhatever's overpriced strings- if you want a high A
Ah, yep, you are right.about the pitch of the top string... It would be E - A or D - G.

As for your Mikro, A - A would be like a capo at the 5th fret :)

It's not just the idea of the extra notes, but where they fall on fretboard...

Ha we both messed up-
I was right about the fret though
I think my Mikro Guitar is tuned B-B

Actually I think i've done both but B-B is the way I left it/keep it

I knew a guy who played an 8 string but with a low B and a high A. I played it once and didn't like it much. 8 string necks are way too wide and the high A I kind of just thought of it as a novelty.

I ran with high A on my Universe for a bit way back in the 90s. Didn’t find it as useful as a low B so it didn’t last more than a couple of weeks.

Man, I miss that guitar...sigh.

I ran with high A on my Universe for a bit way back in the 90s. Didn’t find it as useful as a low B so it didn’t last more than a couple of weeks.

Man, I miss that guitar...sigh.
Do you remember what gauge of string you used?

i feel like Wes Borland use to run one with an extra high string but it was just en extra high E for drones. could be mistaken, though

An alternative is to tune your 7 string BEADF#BE , so the low 6 strings are B standard and the high E functions as that extra high string. Good fun.

Also, check out Uli Roth's Sky guitar for high A action.

Might as well get an 8 string and tune one higher and one lower. It would be cool to play those soaring high notes lower on the neck.

An alternative is to tune your 7 string BEADF#BE , so the low 6 strings are B standard and the high E functions as that extra high string. Good fun.
Isn't that "standard" tuning on a 7 string? I don't see any advantage for me ther... as I mentioned I don't really have a desire to go lower.

Also, check out Uli Roth's Sky guitar for high A action.

I've played his guitars first hand
He's usually standard or a half step down (like hendrix)

His guitars also have a million frets that go OVER the neck pickup
Also- under the neck/neck pickup is some crazy weird sustainer electronics

The entire guitar has crazy electronics that's output is so high it blows most amps- I've seen him blow marshalls in front of me

I think he can get the higher notes because of the extra frets

Also the upper frets aren't EVERY FRET- EVERY NOTE
He can hit basically the whole notes/white keys he wants to- and bends to get anything in between

They're pretty cool

Isn't that "standard" tuning on a 7 string? I don't see any advantage for me ther... as I mentioned I don't really have a desire to go lower.
Every 7 I've played is standard 6 plus the addition of a low B, so BEADGBE

Back
Top Bottom