Anyone ever think of adding amps to the non powered atomics?

Re: Anyone ever think of adding amps to the non powered atom

Interesting idea. But one can´t help to wonder about the qualities though...

/Mike

I thought about building powered monitors at one point with those amps, but couldn't get a handle on what the quality of the amps are. The 'seem' like the same quality of a 'Pyle' or 'Gemini' speaker....so I decided NOT to move forward. I also looked at buying a more well known power section from a stock powered speaker like a Mackie or QSC (and put it in my custom box)....but they were too expensive when you're buying just that part from the manufacturer.

But if you were considering adding one of these to an Atomic, my biggest concern would be taking a jigsaw to the Atomic cabinet. The footprint of the amp you supplied the link to, has a much bigger footprint than the amp that is in the Powered Atomics. Which means you're going to have to cut a bigger hole than the Power Atomics have. This would beg the question of - how is this going to impact the structural integrity as well as the tone of the box.

prob. not worth the headache.if you F&*%ed up the box,you would never forgive yourself.if you already have a decent sounding power amp with the passive Atomic,then why try to re-invent the wheel?IMHO of course. :) unless you have that "mad scientist,must experiment,i can make it better" streak. ;)

well it didnt have to be that exact amp, possibly one with a smaller hole needed...

i'm just wanting to have powered wedges without tubes....

anyway just wondering if i'm the only person on the planet who thought about it.

I have thought about it quite a bit, and done a fair amount of research on what mountable power amps are available. The amps in the link you pointed out were just not high enough quality, and from the searching I did, there weren't many better options out there. I was looking at this more of a 'build' project though. I was designing the actual box as well to put the amp in. I actually ended up trying to design a monitor box with a 1 space rack in it so I could mount the power amp of my choice. But in the long run, it seemed like a lot less work to just put the power amp in my rack case and run a speaker cable. I still mess around with design ideas, more just because I enjoy doing it. If you come up with any high quality components or any other design ideas, let me know. I'd be very interested to hear them.

If I were to do that I would want something that was of a higher wattage and it would have to be bi-amped.

Back
Top Bottom