Anyone ever heard of a metal band use Roland td30 electronic drums?

Bojangles

Experienced
Our drummer would like to get a set of top of the line Roland drums, im just wondering is there any example of this in the metal world

Would it work, could it work?

It would work great in the studio since the majority of drum sounds in metal are sample replaced. I imagine the internal sounds in the TD30 are good, but you could also trigger the MIDI with something like Steven Slate or Superior Drummer for more options.

And while it might not necessarily look "metal" to use a V-drum kit on stage, I'm sure it can, and probably has, been done.

It would, it does, and it works better than anything you could imagine. A silent stage, where you're not competing to hear your monitor mix? Yes please. Even in ears can suffer if your drummer is a heavy hitter, or your mics aren't place correctly one night. Plus there's just one stereo out into your mixer, it's a space saver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I own a Roland electric kit. My bands are all metal and both my drummers (from different bands/projects) have used it live with great results.

Here's a video, unfortunately this is pretty old and well before I had my Axe Fx but never the less, the drums sound great here...as well as everything else. ;)

(I'm the guy with the 5150 and Orange cab just FYI)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0dh8D9WRVs

I own a Roland electric kit. My bands are all metal and both my drummers (from different bands/projects) have used it live with great results.

Here's a video, unfortunately this is pretty old and well before I had my Axe Fx but never the less, the drums sound great here...as well as everything else. ;)

(I'm the guy with the 5150 and Orange cab just FYI)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0dh8D9WRVs

Hahah thanks for the link, you bunch of angry young grunglings :p

---

Yeah i guess it doesn't matter in the end, as long as its sound the way you want it, all good

Like others have said, there are definitely advantages with electronic drums in a lot of areas, thanks for all the comments to date guys, ill have to show this thread to the rest of the band

I wouldn't exactly call my band Metal but it's heavy nonetheless... our Drummer uses a TD30 both for recording and live... Sounds Great!
The clip below is all V Drums and the Guitars all AxeFX2

The footage was shot at the Roxy in L.A

The biggest weakness with electronic kits is the cymbals. Both in feel for the drummer and the sound. I love everything else about them though.

Our drummer would like to get a set of top of the line Roland drums, im just wondering is there any example of this in the metal world

Would it work, could it work?
YES!- I play a large digital rig(44 pads, 8 pedals) In a progressive metal band, here's a pik of my rig in it's last incarnation before adding the new pedal board. I use 2 peavey kb 300's for stage reference for myself and the other members-important not to have wimpy stage monitors!
looks wise?Who cares, it sounds great. I use a Yamaha Motif Rack for sounds(128 note polyphony, better than 64 which is what other manufacturers offer,boo & hiss,on cymbal swells!) and a Yamaha DTXtreme for my controller mixer.
Have a huge acoustic kit, with my own riser, this setup is easy to transport,and more playing surfaces, and I have 18 trigger inputs still to fill!!! I send my own stereo mix to the house(Like a keyboard player, even an ok sound guy can get the mix right, signal is clean!
rsz_20151017_140430.jpg

Last edited:
Hi there, Hedra is a metal band that uses Roland TD30KV live, look out for us on tour in may in the UK, we're happy to discuss with people how awesome it sounds too ;)

Latest top of the line is the TD 50, should sound betterer than the TD 30, multi-zone triggering blabla...the TD 30 our drummer had sounded awesome but he returned to an acoustic set...I guess it´s the same with guitarists sticking with analog rigs versus these strange guys going all digital...

Back
Top Bottom