Anyone ever had a sinking saddle?

slinky005

Power User
My US Tele has an issue withe the B string saddle.
Over time it gets lower to the point that when I bend up high on the neck, i'm picking at silence.
Also goes out of tune when it does this.
Do I just need to replace the saddle?
Would prefer not to send it to luthier.

I had that happen to my Jazz Bass when I first started playing slap bass back in the early 70's. I just used either finger nail polish or Elmer's glue to glue the saddle screws in place. Loctite thread locker will work too.

With all due respect to notalemming, I don't think glue or locktite is a good solution. Using glue or locktite would render any future adjustments difficult. I'm reasonably sure there must be a competent luthier somewhere in Montreal who could render an opinion. Or you could just replace the saddle and see if that does the trick. All-Parts or any other parts operation will likely have what you need.

I had this happen on a MIM Jazz I used to have. The vibration of the strings causes the saddle screws to turn, lowering the action. Replacing the saddle on my Jazz didn't help; the new one had the same problem. The best solution I found was to shim the neck. This raises the heel end of the neck, so you have to raise the saddles to maintain the same action. With higher saddles, the strings put more downward pressure on them, keeping them from turning on their own.

With all due respect to notalemming, I don't think glue or locktite is a good solution. Using glue or locktite would render any future adjustments difficult. I'm reasonably sure there must be a competent luthier somewhere in Montreal who could render an opinion. Or you could just replace the saddle and see if that does the trick. All-Parts or any other parts operation will likely have what you need.

Nope, no problem at all. Nail polish remover and/or just adjusting the saddles normally will break the bond easily. Did this for years until I got a Badass bridge. Can't speak specifically for Loctite.

If your saddle sinks over time, one or more of the height adjustment screws doesn't fit the saddle properly. Either the screw or the saddle has to go, depending on which one is the culprit.

Thread tape might work as a stop-gap measure, but I wouldn't expect it to stay stable over time.

Make sure you use the blue lock rite - that will form a layer on the thread that stops the screw turning, unless som force is applied - such as you wanting to turn the screw - so there's no problem there, and even after you've turned it, you'll possibly find a reapplication is not needed.
If you use the red loctite- you will never move the screw without applying a bunch of guitar damaging heat to the screw - do not use the red!
Thanks
Pauly

Replace the saddle. Locktite will prevent the saddle from moving but loose screws might slightly affect sustain.

Back
Top Bottom