Anyone EQ-matched their guitars?

If you are applying EQ to make one guitar sound close to another, why would you then want it to sound different?

yeah, why would I? Because one song asks for a tighter sound, another for more gain, a third one for singing leads, thick with mids. And because I have a patch that is dialled in using the 6 string that works quite well for one range of things, but gets too bass heavy and scooped with the 7. You could go and re-dial the amp and the cab, create a whole new patch for the 7 string.
Or I could change the pickups.

OR I could just drop a little PEQ block in there that I enable when I want and disable when I want.

Me, I just embrace the differences of the guitars. If there's too much gain, I use my volume knob. If there's too much flub, I roll the bass off at the guitar with a tone control.
YMMV

That's great to hear, but see: My guitars don't have a tone control to roll off the bass. They just have regular tone controls that bleeds the treble to ground...

Sounds like a job for...Input EQ!

Seriously, everything you need might be right there.

Good point. Lowering the definition does bring me halfway there, but I think it's a bit limited. Plus the advantage of the PEQ is that I can easily switch it on and off

How can i match the guitar? I never used the ToneMatch. I saw some tutorials in internet but for acoustic guitars or amps

Wow, you guys come up with some clever ways to use the III's features.

Should I want to do something similar, but with the input block's EQ, is there a simple way to look at the EQ curve that a tone match process came up with so I can then approximate it with the input block's EQ?

I'd love to get something approximating the DiMarzio Norton bridge pickup sound that's on my Kiesel super strat thing on my actual SSS strat.

Should I want to do something similar, but with the input block's EQ, is there a simple way to look at the EQ curve that a tone match process came up with so I can then approximate it with the input block's EQ?
The Tone Match block displays the compensating EQ curve it comes up with, but it’ll probably be a more complex curve than the Input block’s EQ could reproduce.

The Tone Match block displays the compensating EQ curve it comes up with, but it’ll probably be a more complex curve than the Input block’s EQ could reproduce.
Sure, a tone match block is sort of like a 1000 band eq, but plotting the curve will give me a really good starting point for an approximation with a EQ block. Or I can just use the IR player I guess - it doesn't use that much CPU power. I'm not exactly running up against DSP limits with the Axe FX 3. :)

Back
Top Bottom