Anyone else try one of these with your AxeIII?

When I was running analog pedals into the front of my amp I used to run a Fryette (VHT) Valvulator I as the first element in the signal chain. It is a high voltage tube buffer similar to the one you are using. I found that It dramatically improved the volume knob response and restored the high end that I was losing when I compared cable direct into the amp vs cable into my pedals then into amp.

When I switched to the Fractal FX8 I discovered that the Valvulator did nothing but add noise to my signal chain compared to running directly into the FX8. I haven't tried it in front of my Axe-FX III, but I suspect that it will not improve the tone.

If you want something that truly enhances the quality of a DI'd signal (granted I wouldn't bother with it in front of the axe-fx) but if you have a piezo system in your guitar or are switching off to an acoustic for a song or two I highly reccomend the Rupert Neve RNDI. It has some kinda magic for enhancing the tone of acoustic, piezo, and also bass guitar. Incredible box!

When I was running analog pedals into the front of my amp I used to run a Fryette (VHT) Valvulator I as the first element in the signal chain. It is a high voltage tube buffer similar to the one you are using. I found that It dramatically improved the volume knob response and restored the high end that I was losing when I compared cable direct into the amp vs cable into my pedals then into amp.

When I switched to the Fractal FX8 I discovered that the Valvulator did nothing but add noise to my signal chain compared to running directly into the FX8. I haven't tried it in front of my Axe-FX III, but I suspect that it will not improve the tone.

Yeah I don't get any noise from this as long as I use a hum-X with it. I'm happy with it thus far but was curious if anyone else was using a similar sort of thing.

I do find my pickups/cable length results in some piercing resonances using 1MegΩ, but luckily I can just change that on the axe input block...

I swore by my bbe sonic stomp back on the day. I opened it up once, and I’m pretty sure it was just one IC in there. Pretty sure it was just a fixed frequency treble boost.

I’ve tried running my guitar signal post Axe3 through a bunch of high end studio gear, primarily just to see if there were any magic combos. All of them were fairly subtle. The best was a API style mic pre for a bit of overdrive. That and the SSL style bus compressor Adds a bit of fairy dust but it seems like the latest speaker drive does a very similar thing. getting the mic pre modeling more accurate would be a good area of investigation imo for future axe improvements.

Back
Top Bottom