Anyone Else Toss Gear in Garbage?

I have some stuff in storage but not like some of you guys have described. A few years ago I did do a clearance sale on eBay and got rid of the bulk, but still have a few boxes worth. If I see it for more trouble than it is worth I will just give the item to someone, which usually turns out to be one of my friends students.

However I do have a dilemma!! (regarding this thread)

I have a Mesa Mark IV that started acting up years ago (about 4-5) without going into details it needs a new PC board. Basically right now it is junk. Mesa does not make that board anymore and did not have any in stock so basically SOL. Oh well I got 20 + years out of the amp. What kills me the amp is pretty much perfect condition? So do I just trash it or part it? A question that has been on my mind for a year or so now. As for now it just sits in my storage facility.

John

I have a Mesa Mark IV that started acting up years ago (about 4-5) without going into details it needs a new PC board. Basically right now it is junk. Mesa does not make that board anymore and did not have any in stock so basically SOL. Oh well I got 20 + years out of the amp. What kills me the amp is pretty much perfect condition? So do I just trash it or part it? A question that has been on my mind for a year or so now. As for now it just sits in my storage facility.

John

When I was part of the Johnson Amplification community, many people would sell their non-functioning discontinued amp for parts cannibalization purposes and people who needed proprietary parts that weren't produced anymore were very thankful and paid good value for the amps.

If there's Mark IV communities on line, I am sure there are people looking for exactly what you could sell them.

To part out or sell as a DIY cannibalization kit decision making will require doing some lurking in such communities to see what the prices for parts command versus what prices for non-functioning amp are commanding to see which is a better return on your time to part out & monitor offers, versus selling the whole kit and caboodle with little time invested.

I'd never toss a Mesa Boogie amp- anything with Mesa on it is worth $100-200 broken. And I can't imagine it not being worth repairing.

There's probably a bigger market for broken stuff than working stuff

If something fails to sell, then I might offer it up for free, then if that doesn't work, it gets thrown away. Reason being, there is only so much space in my house for hoarded gear. I need that stuff out of my life asap.

I'll take a crack at fixing anything broken. Seems like 50/50 odds in general - easy fix or beyond me. But it's always worth a quick shot.

If I can't fix it and it has reasonable value, it usually goes on Kijiji.ca (called ebayclassifieds in the USA.. in my city at least, Kijiji seems to have totally overtaken Craigslist. It's not even worth the time to cross-post to CL anymore.

It's amazing how many people want to buy your broken stuff. The thrill of a bargain, based on the idea of buying cheap and having the smarts to fix it easy. It's important to be fully honest and upfront about how it's broken and why.

I got a bunch of behringer rack stuff would love to give away but I really dont want to take the time effort and risk meeting someone at my expense on craigs rapelist

Risk is a very regional issue. Where I live, the local classifieds are a godsend. I've done a LOT of local face to face deals for gear.. never had any trouble. It's a big enough market and I always feel pretty safe and comfortable dealing with locals around here.

Never. I always pull the good stuff off/out and repurpose or sell it . There's always someone out there looking for parts to fix something up. Once I took a cheap Fender starcaster out of a neighbors trash can and sold the good parts I could get from it and the body ( the neck was cracked ) and made 90.00. Your trash is treasure to someone else:)

Bryan Adams song lyrics:
One man's nightmare, is another man's dream.
True Story.

I'll always find a use for something. If it's broke, I'll try to fix it. If I can't strip it for parts. However, if I have perfectly good, working gear that is useless to me, a lot of times I'll gladly give it away to someone who can and will use it. Giving is a great thing. Not enough can be said about that.

Sanford and son.

Hands-down... best 70's sitcom ever... PERIOD! I have every episode. Priceless.

No, but then again, I'm running out of house. lol

View attachment 32789

That's hovercraft terrain! ;)

Back
Top Bottom