Anyone Else Toss Gear in Garbage?

rrogers

Inspired
I've done this a few times, so I wonder if anyone else has every done so as well.

For example, I recently sold a GP-10 on ebay. Seller complained the pickup was damaged and issued a dispute. I refunded his money and, once I had the GP-10 back, I decided to toss it in the trash rather than hassle with selling again.

I once had a Mesa Nomad that never worked right. I had purchased it used and, once I decided it was no longer worth trying to repair, took it to the dump. I hate having things I don't use/need sitting around, and selling small (i.e, not a car or a house) consumer goods has become quite a bit of a hassle.

Other items include a Phase 90, a Voodoo Labs power supply, a Pedal Train board, and a Boss NS-2 (I think it may have developed a short).

Am I the only person who has done this?

there is always a buyer for something.

the market price may be lower than the seller believes it to be, but it is still a cash flow.

people find a use for things that is beyond reason.

for example I went to the Steampunk World's Fair last weekend near me to see what it was all about. Several vendors were selling tubes with broken pins to be used in various decorations and costumes for $1 to $3 per tube, depending upon the size. That is something that would normally end up in a landfill that someone finds a use for and someone else makes a measure of profit off of it.

it's something to think about before one puts a piece of any gear in a dump.

Your trash is treasure to someone else:)

Here in barcelona dumpsters are more guarded than bank's gold.
Crisis has prompted many needy people patrolling the streets with supermarket's shopping carts looking for whatever they can find useful: clothing, scrap, furniture...
This practice is not permitted by local regulations but tell this to someone who has nothing to put in their mouth...month after month is growing and more relevant
Not only homeless misfits, there's jobless family men too
If you leave something in fifteen minutes it disappears : guaranteed

Sad but true

Last edited:
If it was something like a GP-10 that was still in good working condition, I'd at least throw it on the Craigslist free section. I had a couple of amps blow a few years back. I went through a bear of a time trying to get them fixed and considered junking them, but wound up getting them repaired in the end.

I had an old Zoom 9050 processor from the early 90s that stayed in my garage for 10 years. When I pulled it out, it was covered in dust and cobwebs. It booted up for a couple of minutes, then powered off and wouldn't come back on. It might have been just an internal battery that needed replacement, but in the end I just put it up on the Craigslist free section and someone got it. Funny thing, I saw it for sale a couple of days later for something like $30. I guess the guy decided he didn't want to fix it and wanted to dump it on someone else. No idea if he ever sold it or not.

Sometimes things take up more space than they're worth. Also, sometimes the hassle/time it takes to sell something isn't worth it. I'm considering taking a bunch of boxed tabletop games from the 80s/90s and tossing them. They're taking up space in a room in my house I'd really like to repurpose into something useful.

I have a GP-10 that was the center of my main gigging rig before the AX8. :eek: Next time you toss one of these - pm me! :cool:

All kidding aside, I do understand the frustration of trying to sell a piece of gear and the hassles that can sometimes lead to. Maybe donate stuff to "Guitars for Vets" or some similar organization. Might even be a tax write-off for you...

My wife is extremely tolerant of my gear, especially since we compromised by having a music room where it all stays. That said, I'm sure she wonders why I have things in there that haven't seen use since the year started with "19."

I really should sell/give away/junk some of that stuff. Sometimes having storage room is the root of the problem!

I once had a Mesa Nomad that never worked right. I had purchased it used and, once I decided it was no longer worth trying to repair, took it to the dump.

Am I the only person who has done this?

o_O
Yes. You would be the only one I know who would throw away a $500 amplifier. It's at least running through with a guitar shop or electronics repair center. Heck, YouTube some videos regarding the issues you would see. I would never just throw away a Mesa. With that said, I've thrown away an old Rogue, Peavey and Gorilla (sorry @Knuckles) amps that are truly junk.

Nothing of potential value I get rid of, I either try to Craigslist it or potentially eBay if it's substantially worth more.

I have tossed gear though yes, it just depends on you value mapping/assignment from my experience.

I got a bunch of behringer rack stuff would love to give away but I really dont want to take the time effort and risk meeting someone at my expense on craigs rapelist

I got a bunch of behringer rack stuff would love to give away but I really dont want to take the time effort and risk meeting someone at my expense on craigs rapelist
You can always donate it to AMVETS, Lupus, or Goodwill orgs among other organizations. You get a tax deduction at least, somebody gets some starter gear at a good cost, and the money goes to help someone in need.

Everyone wins a bit that way.

I donated an Ensoniq Mirage keyboard that had 3 dead keys that I did not feel like having fixed because I realized Samplitude and my current controller were 99% better.

Usually, if I can't use it anymore or I can't sell it, I end up giving it away to friends who might find some kind of use from it. It is usually things like pedals, pickups, other guitar electronics. Years ago I went through so many phases of trying all kind of pots, caps, pickups, etc.. so I had a ton of "junk" laying around. So I ended up giving all of that away recently, and also a gallon sized pickle jar of every damn pick you could think of from Dunlop... I fell in love with the Dava picks now and got rid of the massive collection I've stocked up on over the years while trying everything out. Also got rid of some pedals that I never use anymore, got rid of a ton of cables and cable ends as well. I try not to trash it if someone else may be able to find a use for it. Especially the musicians who are less fortunate than myself. Makes me feel good to know a less fortunate fellow guitar player can upgrade the pickups and electronics in his partscaster, or cables to replace their worn out ones. :)

very rarely do i toss stuff. But in a circumstance like your talking about thats a good chance that i would pissed off enough to do that. just so i never have to waste time with it again.

Moving gear around makes the process more fun. To me if somethings been sitting, selling it and putting that towards something new I want is awesome. If I really want what I sold I can buy it again later. This is also why I enjoy buying used items. They hold value much better. I even keep a spreadsheet of what I sell and buy and typically 0 it out. Every couple of a years though a new guitar purchase is an "addition" not a swap.

Back
Top Bottom