Anyone else think the Axechange can benefit from a refresh?

That is a good idea. At VGuitarForums.com almost everybody has the nice consideration of uploading both the preset and a mp3 sample of how the preset is intended to sound (at least at the VG-99 section)
I don't think a mp3/video clips are a bad idea necessarily. But it would likely serve as another reason why people DON'T upload a preset. Recording a clip, converting it, uploading it, etc (for me anyway) would just be more unnecessary steps when the user has the option of clicking on the preset and auditioning it immediately with their setup. If they don't like what you hear, don't save it.

That said, I can see where people SELLING presets will want to go the extra mile to get your money. But I don't see Fractal wanting to make a sort of "App Store" style Axe-Change where 3rd parties can sell their stuff.

I think a big fundamental here is that anyone who is going to download a preset someone else has created and provided audio samples of needs to accept the basic fact that at best it's only going to be a approximation of what you heard in the clip. You will almost always have to do some tweaking to get it to the sweet spot for your monitors/headphones/guitar etc.

I don't want to crap on anyones ideas, cause a lot of the ideas here aren't bad. But a lot of them seem like it would only serve to make the process of sharing even more convoluted than it already is. There's a reason why people often choose to just share a preset on the forum and never bother with Axe-Change. Simplicity. You click attach and link the file. Done. No registering on a separate site, no logging in, no clicking a bunch of check boxes, no creating multiple mp3 clips and uploading those as well, no coming back to this forum and creating another thread and telling people it's now on the Axe-Change, etc etc etc. Additionally, since it's on the forum you have built in feedback all contained within the thread it's posted in.

The ability to export IRs in a bundle in one of the latest updates is a step in the right direction in streamlining the sharing process. Though, I don't think those can be attached/shared on the forum. I understand not wanting people sharing commercial presets/IRs but would be nice if there was some middle ground here.

Obsession you say? Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Ha.
yeah, coding lead to sleeplessness and anxiety that I don't even think I've shaken off to this day. At one point I was running a web agency that provided hosting and we had nearly 40 clients I had to manage on top of doing 99% of the coding. Big yikes energy. Got away from it and was a successful graphic designer with less stress but maybe more repetition (CAN YOU MAKE THE LOGO BIGGER?!)

I don't think a mp3/video clips are a bad idea necessarily. But it would likely serve as another reason why people DON'T upload a preset. Recording a clip, converting it, uploading it, etc (for me anyway) would just be more unnecessary steps when the user has the option of clicking on the preset and auditioning it immediately with their setup. If they don't like what you hear, don't save it.

That said, I can see where people SELLING presets will want to go the extra mile to get your money. But I don't see Fractal wanting to make a sort of "App Store" style Axe-Change where 3rd parties can sell their stuff.

I think a big fundamental here is that anyone who is going to download a preset someone else has created and provided audio samples of needs to accept the basic fact that at best it's only going to be a approximation of what you heard in the clip. You will almost always have to do some tweaking to get it to the sweet spot for your monitors/headphones/guitar etc.

I don't want to crap on anyones ideas, cause a lot of the ideas here aren't bad. But a lot of them seem like it would only serve to make the process of sharing even more convoluted than it already is. There's a reason why people often choose to just share a preset on the forum and never bother with Axe-Change. Simplicity. You click attach and link the file. Done. No registering on a separate site, no logging in, no clicking a bunch of check boxes, no creating multiple mp3 clips and uploading those as well, no coming back to this forum and creating another thread and telling people it's now on the Axe-Change, etc etc etc. Additionally, since it's on the forum you have built in feedback all contained within the thread it's posted in.

The ability to export IRs in a bundle in one of the latest updates is a step in the right direction in streamlining the sharing process. Though, I don't think those can be attached/shared on the forum. I understand not wanting people sharing commercial presets/IRs but would be nice if there was some middle ground here.

I agree with what you're saying in your post. I used Axe-change when I first got my unit but quickly stopped going there and lurked around the forums.

Perhaps the forums are a better system to share and perhaps there's inherently something in the feedback you get on the forum that gives you the dopamine you need to continue to post presets -- seeing 5 star rating isn't the same as seeing a video of something that sounds amazing and seeing 5-10 comments praising the preset.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with what you're saying in your post. I used Axe-change when I first got my unit but quickly stopped going there and lurked around the forums.

Perhaps the forums are a better system to share and perhaps there's inherently something in the feedback you get on the forum that gives you the dopamine you need to continue to post presets -- seeing 5 star rating isn't the same as seeing a video of something that sounds amazing and seeing 5-10 comments praising the preset.
Not sure if it's possible, but embedding a widget in the forum that would let people post presets to Axe-Change directly from here might be cool.

Simplicity. You click attach and link the file. Done. No registering on a separate site, no logging in, no clicking a bunch of check boxes, no creating multiple mp3 clips and uploading those as well, no coming back to this forum and creating another thread and telling people it's now on the Axe-Change, etc etc etc. Additionally, since it's on the forum you have built in feedback all contained within the thread it's posted in.
I think this forum is the perfect scenario. It's already here, there's one for every product, it's searchable, it's collaborative, you can track revisions and easily add some tags as to firmware version. You can attach audio, video and provide screenshots for 3rd party cabs used, etc, etc, etc. Maybe FAS can open up fasBundle as an acceptable upload type - although I believe .zip works, too.

To me a shared block library would be of more use than shared presets, especially when it comes to effects. There's far too many variables when it comes to whole presets for them to work well for a wide range of users. Individual blocks on the other hand have a much better chance of fitting into most peoples' current setup.

To me a shared block library would be of more use than shared presets, especially when it comes to effects. There's far too many variables when it comes to whole presets for them to work well for a wide range of users. Individual blocks on the other hand have a much better chance of fitting into most peoples' current setup.
This is a good idea.

Each upload needs a form that must be filled out in order to upload. A program that could grab info from AxeEdit to fill in parts of a form for each upload would be handy. Maybe a login that has some of the info saved for your account and asks if any configuration changes have been made since your last login.

Preset name
Fractal product AFXIII/FM3/FM9/Legacy
Legacy product
Foot controller used
User name Forum member name. Contact for help yes/no
Song name
Band name
Firmware version
Kitchen sink preset yes/no
Number of scenes and what each one is used for
Guitar type and pickup used
Monitoring system used studio monitors/In ear monitors/FRFR speakers/Real cab and amp type
Monitoring brand
Amp block's used
Speaker IR's Factory or custom
IR location
IR included if custom
CS used yes/no
CS switch assignment
Expression pedals yes/no
Expression pedals assignment
Peak output block level. LOL

For searching the axechange another form that matches all the same criteria. Someone looking for a good AC30 preset to use with a Strat could enter just those two search fields.

Each upload needs a form that must be filled out in order to upload. A program that could grab info from AxeEdit to fill in parts of a form for each upload would be handy. Maybe a login that has some of the info saved for your account and asks if any configuration changes have been made since your last login.

Preset name
Fractal product AFXIII/FM3/FM9/Legacy
Legacy product
Foot controller used
User name Forum member name. Contact for help yes/no
Song name
Band name
Firmware version
Kitchen sink preset yes/no
Number of scenes and what each one is used for
Guitar type and pickup used
Monitoring system used studio monitors/In ear monitors/FRFR speakers/Real cab and amp type
Monitoring brand
Amp block's used
Speaker IR's Factory or custom
IR location
IR included if custom
CS used yes/no
CS switch assignment
Expression pedals yes/no
Expression pedals assignment
Peak output block level. LOL

For searching the axechange another form that matches all the same criteria. Someone looking for a good AC30 preset to use with a Strat could enter just those two search fields.
I was thinking if there was some type of export program it might make it easier, but again it is another step/nother piece of software --- and the forum works and those people are never not gonna be forum-users -- but I agree with this sentiment.

Back
Top Bottom