Anyone else suffer a little bit from Imposter Syndrome?

This thread will be heading over to the lounge any minute I'd guess.
Maybe it should be joined up with that alien discussion going on over there.

I'm surprised that there are so many deep thinkers around here.
Pleasantly surprised I might add. :)

I've somehow managed to make my living playing guitar, mostly in unknown cover bands working full time on the road. Money is seldom great, but pretty consistent. I chose to value time over money and learned to live modestly. If I smoked and drank I would have to get a real job.
One thing I know, life is too short to play with bad tone.

FM3 is on its way to CR tonight, should have hands on manna.
I’m setting up a couple presets from Ax8 and FM3 to compare. I’ll get lost in that for a couple hrs. Then onto presets. I get inspired when things sound real nice. It’s been hard to wait from purchase to delivery here. But I’ve spent hrs n hrs n hrs in another world, with fractal products since the axe Standard in 08 to present. No regrets, no one is harmed. We are fortunate to be able to play these quality sounding units.

Most players I know, including many gifted ones, are aware of what they can't do that gives them kernels of doubt about their abilities when measuring their skills against others that they admire.

As a player, I'm woefully not where I want to be, but I grind away at it. Most people feel that way about endeavors in which they are passionate.

When I realized I could not physically do the stretches and challenging chord shapes of some players that I greatly admired, I was ready to give up because I couldn't do like X, Y, or Z could.

My oldest brother, who is immensely gifted, gave me a great piece of advice, "Rather than be an inferior or frustrated copy of X, be the best you that you can be. Everyone has their own voice on the instrument if you are open to finding it and you are the only you in the world. So be the best version of you everyday and enjoy the journey as well as the work to becoming the ultimate you."

Life is short in the grand scheme of things. Feel no guilt regarding acquiring those tools that help you become the ultimate version of you. We only get one ticket to ride in this life for which we are guaranteed. Make it the most fulfilling ride that you can.

Embracing such a world view allows you to escape the voice in your head that says, "I can't!" Instead, embrace the voice that says, " I can" or "I will".

Play music, have fun and enjoy. I have friends who buy new golf clubs every season because it makes them feel better. At least you have all if not most of the clubs in the box in the case of the Axe III. Feeling like something else, try a different amp and IR.

In any case, write and record some music. That is the best way to justify things if you ask me. I'm fortunate to play in a great band and have a ton of fun when we gig. It's been a while due to covid but things are starting to slowly open up again and we are all raring to go.

I always look at one friend of mine that has about 150 guitars but cannot play all that well at all. It's art for him. It's happiness and that is what is important. He strums the same chords and songs all the time and I guess for him it is therapy as well.

Nothing wrong with that.

Have fun!

Never. I deserve the best gear. I've piled money into it over the years in the form of amps/guitars/pedals/cables/whatever.

I love that I can be a basement player, and sound like any amp I please. I earned it.

Don't hand wring...use those suckers to play guitar.

R

Years ago I realized that some purchases are to push our abilities, to make us better at what we're trying to do.

I was a decent photographer but needed to be better so I bought a pro-sports camera and quickly learned how to shoot everything manually to avoid the camera thinking for me. Then I bought a good strobe system and that led to shooting at night in big arenas and getting a lot of killer shots, because I'd learned to think in terms of the gear.

Many years ago I bought a Mesa Mark IIb, and it made me get better because it was more amp than I knew how to handle. Years later it was a Lone Star Special because the tone stack is weird, and then a Tone King Imperial Mk II which taught me to live on the lead channel and eschew using pedals, and each made me concentrate on a different part of playing, and I've grown as a result, so now I try to carefully weigh the purchase decisions and think I've gotten better after each one. Equipment doesn't make me better, it's the thought process deciding what I need that does. The purchase torments me until I improve.

I know people who seem to buy a guitar and several effects or amps every month, as if a purchase is going to help them be better. The end result is a house full of sh*t that isn't getting used and a reputation for being a hoarder. Buying equipment isn't intrinsically bad, because the right equipment can force us to become better. Buying stuff willy-nilly and hoping it'll help is bad. Being determined to get smarter and better justifies the purchase when you've thought about how it fits in.

I’m not an imposter. I’m definitely me. Even if the universe is a simulation.

I’ve been playing for so long, I was always using vintage gear. It just wasn’t vintage yet. To paraphrase Emil Faber, “Nice gear is good.”

For what we get, the Axe FX is not extravagant at all. My original Fender Dual Showman new was about three times the price of the Axe FX III + SS amp + Dr Z 2x12 cab bought with 2021 US dollars.

So turn the angst into licks.

The quality of my gear far outstrips the quality of my musical talent. :D

Perfectly sums up me as well! I'm not even putting myself down as a player. This Fractal gear can just do so much it's ridiculous.

And you know what? That puts a smile on my face when I play!

Years ago I realized that some purchases are to push our abilities, to make us better at what we're trying to do.

I was a decent photographer but needed to be better so I bought a pro-sports camera and quickly learned how to shoot everything manually to avoid the camera thinking for me. Then I bought a good strobe system and that led to shooting at night in big arenas and getting a lot of killer shots, because I'd learned to think in terms of the gear.

Many years ago I bought a Mesa Mark IIb, and it made me get better because it was more amp than I knew how to handle. Years later it was a Lone Star Special because the tone stack is weird, and then a Tone King Imperial Mk II which taught me to live on the lead channel and eschew using pedals, and each made me concentrate on a different part of playing, and I've grown as a result, so now I try to carefully weigh the purchase decisions and think I've gotten better after each one. Equipment doesn't make me better, it's the thought process deciding what I need that does. The purchase torments me until I improve.

I know people who seem to buy a guitar and several effects or amps every month, as if a purchase is going to help them be better. The end result is a house full of sh*t that isn't getting used and a reputation for being a hoarder. Buying equipment isn't intrinsically bad, because the right equipment can force us to become better. Buying stuff willy-nilly and hoping it'll help is bad. Being determined to get smarter and better justifies the purchase when you've thought about how it fits in.

But maybe they just enjoy buying gear? I've learned not to worry about what other people are doing with their gear lol.

Hey friends, this is just a word vomit of my thoughts, but maybe some of you can relate.

I'm 27, and I've been playing for nearly two decades now. I'm definitely considered a good/advanced musician, but by no means am I something unique or amazing. I've played through budget gear most of my life, despite "outgrowing" a lot it very quickly. But I'm not one to take on the presumption that cheap gear is only for beginners. Of course dream gear is a lot more motivating to play though.

After selling off all of my pedals and amp to fund the AxeIII and FC12, I'm 300% satisfied with my sound and how much power I have at my disposal. I whipped up a great edge of breakup preset with a Dumble and a Klon replica (might as well create the dream ultra-expensive rig, right?).

But I can't help but feel like I don't deserve it. I don't play in a band (as much as I'd like to be), and my jam sessions with buddies only happen a couple times a month. Even at my jam sessions we tend to stick to only one or two sounds.

Otherwise I've just got all the gear set up in my home studio where I record backing tracks and just jam out by myself. I've got a Maschine pad controller, MIDI keyboard, a dozen guitars, and now this Axe-- all for just jamming by myself. I keep telling myself I should tastefully video record some stuff and start posting it to YT, or find some sort of niche thing I can make reviews/tutorials of, but I know I'll most likely be just another fish in the sea.

I'm not unhappy or anything. I love this community, I love my gear, and I love making music, even if that just means I spend an hour playing the same riff over and over again. Sometimes I just catch myself asking, "what's the point of all of this?". It's usually just a fleeting thought, and it goes away once I crank the gain and turn up the volume.

I've felt something similar in all of my hobbies, whether it be golf, motocross, hockey, lifting, guitar, whatever, even work to some extent.

In my mind, I always felt there was a minimum 'skill level' or 'accollades from others' that I had to achieve before I felt purchasing new/professional gear was justified. It's unhealthy, I know that, it puts too much emphasis on the subjective opinions of others for my internal gratification and it controls how I spend my money/energy. But that's how I've worked and I'm always trying to battle against that. However I've given up some hobbies because I didn't 'live up' to whatever standard I set for myself - it sucks the joy out of hobbies.

With that said, I think the most useful thing you can do regardless of what skill level you have, is invite others into your hobby and go through the journey together.

Start a band, teach a student, help others online or in person, donate gear you don't need to someone who does, go to concerts and encourage other bands. All of which you can do BECAUSE of your experience playing guitar... maybe that helps to answer your question of "What's the Point of all of this?"

Just want say I am loving all these thoughts. I suspect many of us here are in similar stages of life and have that reflectiveness that comes with middle age. Life is too short. I play for shear joy, not for external approval.

Hey friends, this is just a word vomit of my thoughts, but maybe some of you can relate.

I'm 27, and I've been playing for nearly two decades now. I'm definitely considered a good/advanced musician, but by no means am I something unique or amazing. I've played through budget gear most of my life, despite "outgrowing" a lot it very quickly. But I'm not one to take on the presumption that cheap gear is only for beginners. Of course dream gear is a lot more motivating to play though.

After selling off all of my pedals and amp to fund the AxeIII and FC12, I'm 300% satisfied with my sound and how much power I have at my disposal. I whipped up a great edge of breakup preset with a Dumble and a Klon replica (might as well create the dream ultra-expensive rig, right?).

But I can't help but feel like I don't deserve it. I don't play in a band (as much as I'd like to be), and my jam sessions with buddies only happen a couple times a month. Even at my jam sessions we tend to stick to only one or two sounds.

Otherwise I've just got all the gear set up in my home studio where I record backing tracks and just jam out by myself. I've got a Maschine pad controller, MIDI keyboard, a dozen guitars, and now this Axe-- all for just jamming by myself. I keep telling myself I should tastefully video record some stuff and start posting it to YT, or find some sort of niche thing I can make reviews/tutorials of, but I know I'll most likely be just another fish in the sea.

I'm not unhappy or anything. I love this community, I love my gear, and I love making music, even if that just means I spend an hour playing the same riff over and over again. Sometimes I just catch myself asking, "what's the point of all of this?". It's usually just a fleeting thought, and it goes away once I crank the gain and turn up the volume.
Man, I get this way whenever I splurge on something nice that I’ve always wanted. But for me, I just make sure I have appreciation for the things I’ve been so fortunate to have. I’m no pro guitarist. I’ve played for 35 years and I wanted to know where we are at technologically with today’s best modelers. I was blown away enough to sell off a bunch of other gear, and now I’m just content. Sometimes, I think you just need to enjoy your good fortune, enjoy that you are still able to be amazed by something as cool as the AxeFX (I am anyway), and don’t think too far beyond that. There’s plenty of other time during the day for philosophical righteousness. But while guitaring, just get lost in guitaring.

Back
Top Bottom