Anyone else stalk the UPS driver??

But wouldn't it be more fair and accurate to say that it's not simply "covering the bottom line"
if there is literally a dearth of drivers in the field?

Seems to me that there are logistical issues right now that are not the result of mismanagement,
choices, or pure greed.
This. If you only have 50 trucks, you can only deliver 50 truckloads, no matter what your bottom line is.

I had a guitar shipped to my office so it wouldn't be hit up by porch pirates. I run a large commercial campus and watched that driver float around the perimeter for about 2 hours before finally hitting the property on the opposite end of my office. I start getting excited, knowing in just a few minutes, the guitar (Ibanez RG7620) will be in my hands shortly. Watched him hit half the buildings on the campus, then drive off in the opposite direction. At one point he came back, but visited the office park across the street. I actually stood outside and just watched him go in multiple directions aside from driving the 200 feet to my building to drop the damn thing off. :D

Same here, and that’s one of the most asinine situations I can imagine. You’d think they’d want us to take the responsibility off their hands and free the storage space.
Well, yeah, it does seem a bit ridiculous. But it has occurred to me more than once. In some instances, the correction is made in a day. In others, it takes several days.

Only recourse you might have at this time is to call FedEx's number and ask what's happening, and why. If you can make it to a live phone rep, they can try to answer your question.

At least, that's what's provided me with reassurance about an errant carton.

Try it for yourself. The least FedEx can do is describe the reason for the delay. If your patient with FedEx, they'll not only treat you better, but you'll be happier as well.

But wouldn't it be more fair and accurate to say that it's not simply "covering the bottom line"
if there is literally a dearth of drivers in the field?

Seems to me that there are logistical issues right now that are not the result of mismanagement,
choices, or pure greed.
Central to this discussion is our own families. We may be discouraged that our shipments were delayed. If you let that become the centerpiece of your family meal tonight, you'll miss the point about why your spouse and you work so hard to make life enjoyable for each other. As for me, I'm thankful that things are "arranged" the way they are.

Regards things beyond my control, I find it aggravating when these things happen. I then remember, I can't control what others think, say, or do. Things that are beyond my control I let God handle. Not everyone will appreciate this, but if you let mankind solve your problems, you can expect that there will be something to disappoint you, because we're all imperfect and often struggle with this.

Don't waste time spinning your wheels. Enjoy what we have for the time we have it.

Central to this discussion is our own families. We may be discouraged that our shipments were delayed. If you let that become the centerpiece of your family meal tonight, you'll miss the point about why your spouse and you work so hard to make life enjoyable for each other. As for me, I'm thankful that things are "arranged" the way they are.

Regards things beyond my control, I find it aggravating when these things happen. I then remember, I can't control what others think, say, or do. Things that are beyond my control I let God handle. Not everyone will appreciate this, but if you let mankind solve your problems, you can expect that there will be something to disappoint you, because we're all imperfect and often struggle with this.

Don't waste time spinning your wheels. Enjoy what we have for the time we have it.

Amen! :)

There was a fellow forumite in another thread discussing the health complications of
one of his children since birth, and with all of the unforeseen death and suffering so
many people have experienced (and are experiencing even now!) in the past 18 months
or so, I feel I have no right or privilege to complain about anything that doesn't involve
loss of life or limb.

You are right. There's always something (or someone) to be grateful for, if we choose to look for it.

I'm thankfull I'm not a frontline worker having the life sucked out of me by one of these megacorps. There was a time when such jobs had at least a little gravy in them / now it seems most of the gravy is sucked up to the relative few at the top.

Last edited:
I swear the tracking app is a curse. The dude was literally like 5 min from my house and then decides to head the complete other direction. I have half a mind to track him down on the road…
That’s because they only make right-hand turns. :)

I'm thankfull I'm not a frontline worker having the life sucked out of me by one of these megacorps. There was a time when such jobs had at least a little gravy in them / now it seems most of the gravy is sucked up to the relative few at the top.
TBH,

My job involves working as a front store associate in a health-related retail environment. I'm up there in years, have worked at the same job (shuffled around a couple times) since 2002, ring sales, have the authority to handle procedure that might otherwise might require management assistance, assist customers locate stuff, make sure the shelves have items returned to stock, and perform regular maintenance and cleaning towards day's end.

Although this might seem unusual, my boss is flexible with hours (you can set your own schedule, but typically need to stick to it), allows time away with a couple weeks advance notice, begrudgingly allows emergency time off (car trouble, sprained something serious, family emergency, etc), and the job pays a half-decent wage you might expect for a part-timer.

Because during peak hours it can be very busy, our employees need to work as a team (either sales associates or assistant managers) step up to offset the burden on lead ringers.

My boss has wisely hired at least one new younger person who is being trained to work front store, then will transition to separate duties.

Our focus is mostly keeping the waiting lines moving through the registers and payment kiosks. A brief series of questions are asked, the customer (if using CC) is asked to insert their card and follow the on-screen prompts. Once the transaction has gone through, the customer is asked if there is anything else we can do for them, then they're sent off with a cheerful "Be Well, Drive Safe."

The process is repeated many times, and its taken quite a few years to get my schtick correct. One other thing my focus is, trying to help the customer receive the best value for his dollar, or help him save cash, if possible. You usually don't receive that kind of service in most stores, but that is one thing I try to do with joy. Yeah, there are the occasional moments when you'd like to walk away from the challenges, but at day's end, I go home, put my stuff away, change clothes, sit back with a glass of something or other, a snack and a cuppa tea.

I'm typically not the kind of guy most other employees are. They joke and kid around, which may be good for them, but it sometimes leads to costly errors and register downtime, which places more burden on the lead ringer. Guess who that is. I personally realize the value of applying practical wisdom to my job, but work relatively hard at it. I'll just say that if I'm doing my job correctly, the rest is a wash. And I'm absolutely good with that.

Heads-up. Delivery carriers are now exempt from refunding 2-day shipping rates because of higher demand and shipping backlogs. That's the bad news.
Agreed 100% but that will never happen, there's always a loophole they'll find. The only carrier I've seen do any refunds were on Express mail from the USPS.
That exemption might exist, but, after talking with FedEx it seems that's not their policy. Once the package is delivered we have to call the shipper, in this case, PRS, and they can issue a refund for the shipping amount.

Last edited:
That exemption might exist, but, after talking with FedEx it seems that's not their policy. Once the package is delivered we have to call the shipper, in this case, PRS, and they can issue a refund for the shipping amount.
Well, then, best wishes. I realize that asking the sender to refund the shipping charges because you had requested expedited shipping is half the battle. FedEx is exempt, per FedEx recently updated policy. I don't know the particulars, but you can check FedEx's website and read their disclaimer for expedited shipping. You might have a case, but it might make good sense to put the possible refund back into your purchase and buy the 3-year warranty, just to cover your bases in the future, if you might need it.

Well, then, best wishes. I realize that asking the sender to refund the shipping charges because you had requested expedited shipping is half the battle. FedEx is exempt, per FedEx recently updated policy. I don't know the particulars, but you can check FedEx's website and read their disclaimer for expedited shipping. You might have a case, but it might make good sense to put the possible refund back into your purchase and buy the 3-year warranty, just to cover your bases in the future, if you might need it.
3-year warranty?

I bought replacement parts from PRS.

3-year warranty?

I bought replacement parts from PRS.
Um, we're speaking a separate language here. 3-year warranty for Fractal parts and labor, or in case your FM9 might need repair. Not like a car warranty, just extra insurance in case something with the hardware or firmware goes bad.

Will be providing the UPS driver with a vacuum-sealed 3 lb. boneless ham, 1 lb. of smoked cheddar cheese, and a jar of Dijon mustard.

Why? Because UPS always receives a load of complaints when things don't go right. Am hoping this will be a fitting solution that can smooth over any ill-will UPS has been party to.

(I'm hoping the driver can eat ham, no worry about the cheese.)

Will be providing the UPS driver with a vacuum-sealed 3 lb. boneless ham, 1 lb. of smoked cheddar cheese, and a jar of Dijon mustard.

Why? Because UPS always receives a load of complaints when things don't go right. Am hoping this will be a fitting solution that can smooth over any ill-will UPS has been party to.

If you didn't get the Overnight Express Vegan option for shipping you should be fine. :)

Wasn't supposed to mention it, but the brown truck arrived today...

Back
Top Bottom