Anyone else running a pedalboard into Axe-Fx III?

Multiple commands on a single switch? Sell the mastermind, get a morningstar MC6 to add to the FC12, and you're set.

Though I thought the FC12 could do the multiple-command-per-switch thing, but I haven't looked into it.
My understanding from playing with the FC12 is that it can do a single command + a "hold" command (so two). But I don't think a single press of the switch can control multiple effects at the same time, unless it's switching to a different scene?

So let us try to help. I like a good puzzle. What’s one thing you’re struggling to do?
I really appreciate that, Karl.

The main one I can't figure out is I have two reverb buttons on the PBC. My default reverb is a long reverb. The two buttons have the following effect...
  • Button one, turns off the long reverb and turns on a short reverb
  • Button two, turns off the long reverb and turns on several other changes for an ambient setting (changes reverb patch, changes delay patch, adds a 2nd reverb in another loop)
  • A 2nd press of either button returns to the long reverb (in the PBC this is referred to as "grouping" buttons).
But it get trickier...
  • Pressing button one (after button two has been activated) returns everything to normal and engages the short reverb
  • Pressing button two (after button one has been activated) returns to the ambient settings
In other words, the state of the two buttons is tied to each other. One can be on, and one off, or both off (default).

Understood. So you won't be able to duplicate the exact PBC functionality you've specified here with the FC, which is what I was getting at when I said you were focused on functionality instead of end results. But surely you can use Scenes to accomplish the end result, which is switching multiple parameters with a single switch, and have switches be mutually exclusive (if they are Scene switches). This can be done with a few scenes, and just bypass blocks, change their channels, scene modifiers, assign parameters to control switches, etc.

Understood. So you won't be able to duplicate the exact PBC functionality you've specified here with the FC, which is what I was getting at when I said you were focused on functionality instead of end results. But surely you can use Scenes to accomplish the end result, which is switching multiple parameters with a single switch, and have switches be mutually exclusive (if they are Scene switches). This can be done with a few scenes, and just bypass blocks, change their channels, scene modifiers, assign parameters to control switches, etc.
Ahhhh... okay, that makes sense. I figured it was something I was overlooking. I hadn't gotten into scenes yet because I didn't quite understand them, and I was getting a little overwhelmed when I couldn't get the FC to do some of the things I was used to.

Fortunately, the Axe III takes outboard pedals amazingly, so I'm in no rush and can take my time. I'll work on the FC/Scenes stuff again this weekend and will let you know if I run into any puzzles (if that's okay?)!

It may be easier to just set up a master preset with scenes for each song section and use the FC to switch between song sections instead of trying to control individual pedals using the switches.

Thank you for your help, Karl!

Ahhhh... okay, that makes sense. I figured it was something I was overlooking. I hadn't gotten into scenes yet because I didn't quite understand them, and I was getting a little overwhelmed when I couldn't get the FC to do some of the things I was used to.

Fortunately, the Axe III takes outboard pedals amazingly, so I'm in no rush and can take my time. I'll work on the FC/Scenes stuff again this weekend and will let you know if I run into any puzzles (if that's okay?)!

It may be easier to just set up a master preset with scenes for each song section and use the FC to switch between song sections instead of trying to control individual pedals using the switches.

Thank you for your help, Karl!
If your not taking advantage of scenes and channels, you are missing out on a whole lot of functionality. Also, Fractal effects are world class. The only pedal I have ever used with it is a Digitech Drop pedal for detuning.

I'll work on the FC/Scenes stuff again this weekend and will let you know if I run into any puzzles (if that's okay?)!

Call me any time. :) Seriously, PM me if you like.

Yeah, Scenes are a huge life and time saver. I rarely use more than 4 scenes on any given preset. Even knowing that, I initially purchased the FC12 for use with both my III and FM3 but I recently "downgraded" to the FC6 because the FC's are so powerful that I need far fewer switches per preset than I thought I would. That's another powerful thing, setting up Per-Preset switches.

I predict that after you get comfortable with the FC and Axe in general that you'll ditch your pedalboard. I used to use a Timeline and Big Sky with my AX8 and pretty quickly dumped that. The Axe really is an all-in-one solution that can replicate anything.

If your not taking advantage of scenes and channels, you are missing out on a whole lot of functionality. Also, Fractal effects are world class. The only pedal I have ever used with it is a Digitech Drop pedal for detuning.
That's what I was missing. It's a different thought process than I'm used to. I haven't set up a song with presets in a couple of years (not sure I remember how on the PBC10 anymore, haha). My main preset that I use for 90% of what I do is so powerful, that's what I've gotten used to.

I'll dive into to scenes this weekend some.

The other point of my original post is that the Axe takes pedals incredibly well. After having Helix and Kemper, I wasn't sure what to expect, but the Axe handles pedals in front of the amps just like the amps (at least the D30 model does which is my main IRL amp). I'm content using my pedalboard, but I would like to get the FC up and running for the odd gig here and there where I don't want to haul the big board.

Call me any time. :) Seriously, PM me if you like.

Yeah, Scenes are a huge life and time saver. I rarely use more than 4 scenes on any given preset. Even knowing that, I initially purchased the FC12 for use with both my III and FM3 but I recently "downgraded" to the FC6 because the FC's are so powerful that I need far fewer switches per preset than I thought I would. That's another powerful thing, setting up Per-Preset switches.

I predict that after you get comfortable with the FC and Axe in general that you'll ditch your pedalboard. I used to use a Timeline and Big Sky with my AX8 and pretty quickly dumped that. The Axe really is an all-in-one solution that can replicate anything.
Thanks Karl! Really appreciate your help!

I posted this on another thread.

I equate scenes to presets in a song on a mastermind midi controller with an effect gizmo stored on a stage rack with trays of effect pedals. You can define a scene with effects on or off for a specific song sections so you don't need to engage 3 or 4 different effect pedals to get a desired sound for the section of the song you're in. Intro, Verse, Chorus, Bridge

Channel take it far beyond this concept and provide you with 4 unique loops for that single effect. For example, your delay pedal (or block on the AxeFx) can have 4 different delay types that you can assign to any of the 8 scenes. So with a single delay block, you can have 4 different delays in that present. Now add 3 more delay blocks and you have 16 different delays you can add to that present. That equates to 16 different analog delay pedals sitting in a rack on stage. Impressive!!!! and overwhelming at the same time.

Just curious, if you are what amp models are you using? I've had great success with the Match D-30, the AC20, the Class-A TB and the Dumble Clean... all set to edge of breakup. I use input 1 (front) and input 2 on the back to run stereo from my board into the Axe III into dual amp models.

I held off getting an Axe III for so long because I had an awful experience with the Helix, and was lukewarm with the Kemper after 2 years. I'm so glad I finally took the plunge thanks to a friend of mine in Oz that got the Axe III a month or so before I did.

There is no way anyone would be able to tell I'm not playing an amp (or amps). Listening back to recordings, I can't even tell. Great job, @FractalAudio!

I play mostly at our church these days. We're pre-recording services on Saturday to air on Sunday mornings. Here's this past Sunday's service. I'm running two D-30 models for the entire set.

I know this is a bit of an older thread, but can you screenshot or walk me through how you’re running your inputs and chain through the Axe once it’s inside? I’ve been a longtime Axe user(since the Ultra days) and got the bug over the summer when Covid got boring and built an analog’ish rig(full pedalboard controlled by an EFX with dual amps(AC20 & Bad Cat Cub II) that I want to try running just the pedalboard into to get amps/cabs from the Axe.

I know this is a bit of an older thread, but can you screenshot or walk me through how you’re running your inputs and chain through the Axe once it’s inside? I’ve been a longtime Axe user(since the Ultra days) and got the bug over the summer when Covid got boring and built an analog’ish rig(full pedalboard controlled by an EFX with dual amps(AC20 & Bad Cat Cub II) that I want to try running just the pedalboard into to get amps/cabs from the Axe.
Hey man, I’ll send you my preset this evening. I use input 1 on the front of the Axe, and input 2L on the rear. You may have to play with gain levels and output volume, but it should give you a big headstart.

I hear you! I would go that route, but the FC12 won't do the level of control my pedalboard will do.

Check out the Voes mx18. I love the have an old school pedalboard at my feet. With the Voes I really can. If you are interested I’ll tell you more.

Harm

Hey man, I’ll send you my preset this evening. I use input 1 on the front of the Axe, and input 2L on the rear. You may have to play with gain levels and output volume, but it should give you a big headstart.
Also, curious as to why you chose to use Input 1 & Input 2 ... instead of using Input 2 L & R on the rear? I just watched a video that Worship Tutorials did on using a stereo board into the Axe III doing it that way. Just curious as to your reasoning in going the Input 1(front) and Input 2(L on rear)?

Also, curious as to why you chose to use Input 1 & Input 2 ... instead of using Input 2 L & R on the rear? I just watched a video that Worship Tutorials did on using a stereo board into the Axe III doing it that way. Just curious as to your reasoning in going the Input 1(front) and Input 2(L on rear)?
To be honest, initially I wanted to use input 1 on the front due to the impedance magic. But I've run the input 1 on the rear and don't really hear a difference. I'm not sure how to set it up like they have it using only input 2. I've tried and don't get any stereo separation, haha. If you figure it out, send it back to me! ;)

Anyway, here's mine:

Attachments

• Match DC30 EF86 FW 15.00 LO_20201229_191842.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 7
To be honest, initially I wanted to use input 1 on the front due to the impedance magic. But I've run the input 1 on the rear and don't really hear a difference. I'm not sure how to set it up like they have it using only input 2. I've tried and don't get any stereo separation, haha. If you figure it out, send it back to me! ;)

Anyway, here's mine:
So, you have to go into the Settings menu in Axe Edit and set Input 2 to Stereo, then on each amp you will want to set the inputs(its on the Ideal Tab) to Left or Right depending on which amp you want on what side(I also hard panned the amp the same direction I set the input to just to make sure) ..... then the important part, don't forget to do the same thing in each Cab block(if you're using 2 separate Cab blocks like you were running 2 real amps on stage).

Yeah, I am pretty sure Cliff made all the inputs the same(at least the ones with 1/4" inputs) nowadays. They used to be different on the XL+'s and prior, but I think he made them all the same on the 3's.

So, you have to go into the Settings menu in Axe Edit and set Input 2 to Stereo, then on each amp you will want to set the inputs(its on the Ideal Tab) to Left or Right depending on which amp you want on what side(I also hard panned the amp the same direction I set the input to just to make sure) ..... then the important part, don't forget to do the same thing in each Cab block(if you're using 2 separate Cab blocks like you were running 2 real amps on stage).

Yeah, I am pretty sure Cliff made all the inputs the same(at least the ones with 1/4" inputs) nowadays. They used to be different on the XL+'s and prior, but I think he made them all the same on the 3's.
Nice! I'll check that out.

Check out my preset and let me know what you think!

Back
Top Bottom