Anyone else into VR stuff?

NeoSound

Fractal Fanatic
When the Oculus and Vive vr systems hit a few years ago I was really interested in vr. I passed though after reading about screen door effect in the displays, scuba mask field of view and at that time limited software.

A few weeks ago I bought the new Valve Index system and although I see room for improvement, I'm really impressed with the technology and the quality of "some" of the games and software. Many titles can be picked up for a few bucks during Steam sales and there are quite a few freebies. There's also a free program (app is more modern I suppose) called "Revive" that allows you to run Oculus exclusive software on the Index and it works great. IMO this is the future when display and wireless tech bring further improvements to the experience.

This was my first experience with vr just wanted to share. If you haven't tried it yet I recommend getting a quality headset and check it out.
Fun stuff!

I'm too space constrained. I can just imagine the number of things I'd break trying to do anything with this in my place. Not to mention damage to myself. If I had a big basement, or some other room that was basically empty, it would be cool to set it up as a holodeck and see where the tech goes.

I think it's still a chicken and egg problem to get wider acceptance. Nobody has come out with that killer app for it. Back when Valve first announced their version, I was sure they were going to release something like HL3 for it. Can you imagine? They wouldn't have been able to make them fast enough. As it stands, there has been nothing that's had me dying to try it.

We do a bunch of research (med health) for which both VR and AR systems are potentially applicable, so I have a lot of these systems around. We looked at the Oculus and Vive both but for a number of reasons - primarily long term tolerability - it didn't seem like the technology was much more than a plaything for rich gamers or a niche use. Index and Pimax have me curious to see if we're getting enough technical improvement to start to tackle some of those hurdles, so I'll probably order an Index at some point here and see what's up. I'll have to make sure our Steam VR render pipeline is still functional...

Hololens and Magic Leap have also been of great interest, but I have both headsets and they seem to be curiosities now maybe with potential in five to ten years' time. I'm more interested in passthrough VR being the way to pull off good mixed reality in the short term, if tolerability can be improved to a decent degree.

Last edited:
IMO, the tech is not ready. The new flagship Oculus actually lowered the refresh rate from the previous version from 90 Hz to 80 Hz, while reducing display persistence. Instant migraine. Until the tech develops to allow high refresh rates at high resolution, I'm on the sidelines waiting.

The Index does 90, 120 and 144hz and higher res (same as vive pro) with a wider field of view, good sound quality too. There are a few nice games and artsie demos that will cause your jaw to drop, but I agree there's still a ways to go.

The new flagship Oculus actually lowered the refresh rate from the previous version from 90 Hz to 80 Hz, while reducing display persistence. Instant migraine.

Cheapening the tech to get more people on board isn't a good idea. If it leaves a bad first impression many people probably won't give it a second chance.

IMO, the tech is not ready. The new flagship Oculus actually lowered the refresh rate from the previous version from 90 Hz to 80 Hz, while reducing display persistence. Instant migraine. Until the tech develops to allow high refresh rates at high resolution, I'm on the sidelines waiting.

I'm with SS on this one. They're just not there yet. HW is just okay, and not enough content for it to be intriguing.

I do watch closely tho.

Hopeful but on the sidelines waiting. A friend has the index, and while it's better than previous, its still not there for my purposes (DCS). The immersion is great, but I'm not willing to sacrifice IQ for it. Plus screen door is still an issue.

This tech is changing very fast, so hopefully it won't be long before there's a more complete solution available.

I’ve had psvr for a few years now but it mostly stays boxed up...been meaning to sell it. Played a few intriguing games early on but they all felt like tech demos, nothing special. I haven’t tried any recent vr specific games but I did start up a new game on no mans sky when the update came out just to see. It’s pretty cool, but the controls are terrible and the headaches are god awful. I don’t get motion sickness or anything, and didn’t get headaches from most vr content but I definitely do from some.

I’ll be curious where the hardware is in another 5-10 years, right now though I just don’t have anywhere I can keep it safely set up and no strongly compelling reason to try.

I've tried PSVR a few times at my buddies place, but I get motion sickness something fierce, so I can only play it 20ish minutes at a time. What my eyes see and what my equilibrium feels gets mixed up, causing my brain to go out of whack (at least, that's the best way I can describe it).

I've tried PSVR a few times at my buddies place, but I get motion sickness something fierce, so I can only play it 20ish minutes at a time. What my eyes see and what my equilibrium feels gets mixed up, causing my brain to go out of whack (at least, that's the best way I can describe it).

The psvr only has about half the resolution as the pc headsets. I'm not sure about refresh rate but that supposedly has a lot to do with the motion sickness issue. Many of the apps allow you to teleport instead of float which helps but can still be a problem.

The psvr only has about half the resolution as the pc headsets. I'm not sure about refresh rate but that supposedly has a lot to do with the motion sickness issue. Many of the apps allow you to teleport instead of float which helps but can still be a problem.

Unfortunately my brain just doesn't handle any of those things well. I've played games where you are in one spot, but even then I get motion sick. I can't read anything in a car without feeling ill.

I have the PS4 VR. Low end of the spectrum for sure but I just wanted something more on an introductory level since I hardly ever use it. But I am interested in the new Oculus Quest mainly for the Vader Immortal Star Wars game.

Back
Top Bottom