Anyone else into proper hot chillies?

I’m addictive to Thai food.
One time I was having Thai w/ friends. I bit into a Thai pepper which instantly went nuclear. I downed all the Thai ice tea and beer on the table, my buddy was laughing at me "it can't be that hot bro!" So I said go ahead, try one yourself. He did...

... and now there was nothing to wash it down with. He who laughs last... ;-)

That video was shot almost exactly 24 hours ago. I'm relieved to report that little or no collateral damage was felt by the plumbing. It sure as hell heated up the stomach for 20 minutes or so, though. Felt like it was being disinfected.
That was intense to watch. Can't imagine how intense it was for you.

Drinking water, beer or whatsoever will not help a lot.

Better use bread to extinguish the fire in the mouth and a few spoons of olive oil to absorb immediately after when it's too much. The oil will encapsulate the burning molecules and get these a bit safer through your body. Of course be ready to run to the closest men's room if the oil get's down too fast ;-)
Overloaded chillis can get you into serious intestinal trouble if you're not "genetically" used to consume them, it's not a joke. Dont' be surprised to suddenly sh.. blood 2 weeks after.

I got some peppers (no idea what they are) from a holiday trip as a souvenir. They are still in my drawer because they are inedible.
I could eat most sambals with a spoon, doesn't hurt me too much, but that stuff is too much.

I can vouch for the Thai chili experience. My girlfriend likes to eat those x2 inferno ramen stuff quite often because she enjoys the kick, but she had a nibble of a proper thai chili and almost cried.

Da Bomb was the hottest sauce at around 135,000 Scoville.
I progressed through the "Hot Ones" line up with some co-workers a while back. The worst part of Da Bomb for me wasn't the heat, it was the bitter flavor - it felt like I was trying to swallow poison. I was wearing my apple watch and I also noticed that my heart rate spiked as I got in to the higher Scoville sauces.

I'm not really into food that makes me hurt, but having lived most of my life in the Rio Grande valley of New Mexico, I'm firmly addicted to true Hatch green chile. It's pretty low on the Scoville chart compared to "proper" hot chilis like Burgs is eating (1,000 to 10,000 units), but the flavor is unrivaled. I'm also pretty fond of Chimayo red chile, too. Similarly, it's not the heat, it's the flavor.

I'm not really into food that makes me hurt, but having lived most of my life in the Rio Grande valley of New Mexico, I'm firmly addicted to true Hatch green chile. It's pretty low on the Scoville chart compared to "proper" hot chilis like Burgs is eating (1,000 to 10,000 units), but the flavor is unrivaled. I'm also pretty fond of Chimayo red chile, too. Similarly, it's not the heat, it's the flavor.
Couldn't agree more. In the summer BBQ season I put Siracha on everything.

Back
Top Bottom