Anyone else here using or tried an external DAC on the Axe?

Solarfire

Experienced
what is/was your experience?

Well I just got me a Cambridge Audio DacMagic plus for my media-PC (a small Zotac) in the living room and decided to give it try in my home studio, between the Axe and a Carver TFM-42 power amp (2 x 375Wrms) on a pair of JBL 4425 Studio monitors (mid field setup) and I must say that was some very impressive power, clarity, depth and imaging coming across from this DAC… positively impressed. Never would have thought that there would be such a big improvement in sonic quality that just a higher grade DAC can bring in general, not just to the Axe.

Actually I only wanted to upgrade said media-PC a little since I was using the MB’s onboard audio going into a Rotel/JBL L65 setup …well no further comment on onboard audio. So while researching for something in the 100€ range and having gained some better in depth knowledge on dedicated DAC’s, I landed in the 450€ (street price) range and ended up getting a deal on said DAC for 350€ and scooped it up.

Well shit I’m just happy as a pig in a puddle over this eye(ear)-opening experience, except now I’ll have to get another one since this one is staying in the studio.

P.S. No.. I’m not affiliated!

Back
Top Bottom