Anyone else having issues with Sperzel tuners?

The nut is sound, I'm only using 10's and they aren't pinched or binding. The guitar had the PRS vintage non-locking units on it and was in tune for days, but I thought it would be nice to have locking (I'm just that lazy). It's not all 6 strings, or 6 tuners, it is 3 of 6 and not 3 on one side or 3 in a row so it's definitely an odd one. I've heard a lot of folks around here complain about them in the local circle, including the 2 tech who have worked on the guitar and my other guitars that don't have the issue, so I tend to think the keys are the likely culprit. It's headed to the shop for new tuners today, so we'll see soon I guess.

I have had 4 guitars over the years that had Sperzel locking tuners and they all had tuning stability issues. Would only hold for a few songs before having to re-tune. Had the guitars checked out from top to bottom and the tech suspected it was the tuners each time. Switched to using Schaller locking tuners and Planet Waves Auto-TrimLock tuners and have never had an issue since. With the Sperzel tuners, it seemed like they would slip after doing lots of hard bends. But the Schaller & Planet Waves seem to be holding good and strong with a higher gear ratio as well. I think Sperzel has a 12:1 ratio, Schaller has a 16:1 ratio, and Planet Waves has an 18:1 ratio.

Edit: I also used some Grover Mini Locking Rotomatics on a PRS SE which were a direct replacement fit, same screw holes and all, for the PRS SE tuners. They proved to be rock solid for the time I owned the guitar. Never had a tuning issue with them either. But my preference is the Schaller and Planet Waves locking tuners.

Well, maybe you have some inside information. But I would seriously doubt quality control over money. If you buy a number of things from a 3rd party supplier of course there's going to be a few problems, but nothing money can't fix. You either get someone in their end or your end to add some additional quality control and that takes care of the quality. And you either have to pay a premium or you pay someone yourself that adds the cost that way. So if 90%+ are great, it's just a money problem making sure you only get those 90%. Either way sounds like a money problem and not a quality control problem.

The only info I have came from Carvin. It may be that the bottom line has a lot to do with it, I have Sperzel tuners on my Carvin and I don't have any problems either, I was merely offering up what I was told as a reason for what the OP's problem. I seriously doubt Carvin would mention a problem about a product that they have used for years unless it was a fact.

I have used sperzels on a lot of parts casters I've built.
They have always been rock solid.

BUT....here is one interesting challenge I have with my Tele build.
When I put the guitar on a Hercules stand (multiple times throughout a gig), the stand causes the locking disk in the back, to unsrew...and my low E string will start to slip.

So maybe check to make sure the disks are all tight?

I have used sperzels on a lot of parts casters I've built.
They have always been rock solid.

BUT....here is one interesting challenge I have with my Tele build.
When I put the guitar on a Hercules stand (multiple times throughout a gig), the stand causes the locking disk in the back, to unsrew...and my low E string will start to slip.

So maybe check to make sure the disks are all tight?

Thanks for the suggestion, it wasn't actually the disk slipping but a good thing to check. It was during playing that it was slipping. Keys were replaced today with a different brand and it has been rock solid for about an hour of playing. So it was the keys...

Swap 'em at the store you bought them from. I love 'em and install them on all my guitars. Never a problem.

So far so good on tuning stability, but the real test will be tonight. If this doesn't fix the problem I'll look at making tooth pics out of the freaking guitar! I honestly would just look at trading the thing on something else. I have a very low tolerance for guitars that won't stay in tune (as I'm sure everyone does). I've gone to two really good techs in the area to have it worked on, who have both done work for me for years without issues like this, and the new tuners are where all the problems started, so hopefully they end with them as well.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom