Anyone else have the AxeFXII change your style

I've found that I use the coil tap/split setting on my JPs constantly now. I never really bonded with the tone from that position with previous setups, but now it's almost always in the pulled position. The Axe adds sooo much character to that pickup selection on clean patches.

True, I like switching from high gain and the bridge pickup with double coil to Fender kind of tone on the single coil neck. My 7 string Carvin also has a coil split on both pups. Two different kinds of tone and feel within 3 seconds. :)

I was telling a friend of mine yesterday that prior to the Axe-fx I was mainly a Boogie guy...I now used modified Marshalls more than Boogie's... ie HBE, SLO, etc. Like Sasha, I'm using WAY more edge of break up tones and crunch than I used to...then again that might be more to do with me getting older 8)

+1 to pretty much everything in this thread.

I NEVER used my volume knob before. I use it constantly now.

I used to be a 100% high-gain all the time guy, but now I use less and less every day. I compared one of my old patches to what I use now and my "high gain" sound is damn near clean by comparison.

Overall, the axe fx has made me a better player by bringing out the nuance in my playing. I feel like I have my own voice now, for better or worse.

I don't know if I would say it's changing your style so much as it's expanding your tonal pallet! It's always fun to gravitate to what you like but when you find that theres more then high gain that's a good thing!

I have an appreciation now for 'all manners' of tones. But while I might like the music created with those tones, none of them speak to me. Very much, it seems to me, like Allan Holdsworth: what he's had in mind, since at least the late 70s/early 80s has continued on, because his sense of timbre was directly linked to his sense of musical composition.

Back
Top Bottom