Anyone else gigging again?

Not yet here in New Mexico. Things are slowly starting to open back up, but bars and nightclubs are still closed and it looks like they'll be that way at least partway into June. Our last gig was March 13, but we're hoping the June 12 gig we have scheduled will still happen.

Part of the fallout from this whole lockdown thing is that two of the bar/restaurant music venues here have closed permanently. There's not that many places to play for pay here anyway, so the loss of two venues is a pretty big hit.

My fellow NM'can!

I've recently joined a band after being in hiatus for about 7 years. I feel it's going to be hard to get some gigs considering our music scene isn't the best to begin with.

Frankly I'm amazed so many of you guys have gigs again, with full venues and no masks and social distancing and stuff. While I am of the opinion that this disease has been way overhyped, but I also know that a lot of people are still scared, especially about a 2nd wave. To see so many of you report of basically back to business as usual is......, weird? Like I'm stuck behind the Iron Curtain and can see the good life from West German TV stations on my crappy Soviet made black and white television but not be part of it.

Hello all I'm in NY, our last show was March 12th... we had a full schedule through September...All our shows through June are Cancelled or rescheduled for next year... It's going to be a while,... things are a little crazy around here....
Everyone be safe out there...

Hi all. Our band has not been playing in months. A couple of members have been live streaming once a week. We are in the panhandle of Florida. Things are open at the 50% limit .
I pretty much don’t know what to think the band has been talking about signing up for gigs but I think I am of the wait and see how this thing is gonna go.
Everyone has there own feelings I know but I have family on the front lines and it’s still scary depending were you are.
Maybe I’m just overly cautious But I’m glad I’m not having to be in the thick of things myself anymore being retired for 14 years and glad of it.
But I do miss playing as I love it and am so ready to get back to it soon enough I hope.
Stay Safe :)

Setting aside the COVID thing, I don't think I'd be willing to sign up for anything other than a corporate gig at present. Most of the other non-church gigs I ever played were in downtown locations, usually within a few blocks of where the riots/looting have been happening.

It's not impossible that some of the places I used to play at get trashed or torched before this is over, with or without people inside. But even without that, I'm certainly not driving a truck full of gear into that part of town right now.

Last edited:
I never really stopped, but it slowed WAY down and the gigs got weirder.
I've done a few gigs like this. Talk about safe-distance - LOL.

I have another safe-distance gig for some ranchers this weekend.
It might be safe-distance, but it ain't safe -- they're drinking and roping real longhorns!

The money on a fishing line thing got me. Still LMAO.

Cancelled everything we had and back to just recording and will be doing YouTube videos and shifting into more diverse styles.

One thing that sucks about bands is everybody has a longer lost of things they don't want to play than things they want to play. My tastes vary way more than most, and I am more interested in mixing all of my strange influences into originals than gigging in a bar band.

In Missouri I’ve played a couple times now at church for a smaller, socially-distanced audience. My cover band has a gig in July, and while we have no confirmation either way, with everyone seemingly eager to move back to business-as-usual lately, I have a feeling it’s going to happen. Time to shut down the isolation overeating!

Last edited:
The money on a fishing line thing got me. Still LMAO.
Ha Ha! You noticed -- it cracks me up every time.
Between life as a solo act and prior life touring in bands, I've been tipped in food and booze and drugs and things I won't mention in public (whether I accepted or not - LOL). But I've never been tipped from the 7th floor of a high-rise with a fishing pole. he was so high up I didn't see or hear him until the property manager ran the tip over. I craned my neck up, and there he was...brandishing this giant fly fishing pole silhouetted against the sky. I'll never forget that ha ha ha!!

About that time I pointed to him and said something like, "if you need proof you've been locked up too long, there it is right there...when you've figured out how to tip a musician from a high rise with a fishing pole. Is he working out like he always said he would? Did he figure out how to fix that thing his lady wants him to fix? Hell no -- but he's got this fishing pole thing down!"

With everything we've been going through, we need people like the fishing-pole-tipper-dude more than ever.

Last edited:
Outdoor acoustic gigs starting to happen here in MA.
I'm not overly interested in doing any at the moment...would rather gig with my band.
Hoping the next month reveals if 'opening back up' is safe (no spike in new cases), and the indoor band scene starts happening again.
Until then....not much going on.

In Missouri I’ve played a couple times now at church for a smaller, socially-distanced audience. My cover band has a gig in July, and while we have no confirmation either way, with everyone seemingly eager to move back to business-as-usual lately, I have a feeling it’s going to happen. Time to shut down the isolation overeating!
Lmao! I hear you.

Reactions: JD_
Back
Top Bottom