Anyone else get lag when recording?

Hey guys! I notice a really obvious delay when I record DI into my interface. It sounds like I almost have a slap back effect on. My chain is Guitar into input one with output one going to my monitor. The Axe Fx 3 is usb (working as interface) straight into my laptop for logic pro x. Any ideas? Thanks so much! -John

Hey guys! I notice a really obvious delay when I record DI into my interface. It sounds like I almost have a slap back effect on. My chain is Guitar into input one with output one going to my monitor. The Axe Fx 3 is usb (working as interface) straight into my laptop for logic pro x. Any ideas? Thanks so much! -John
Sounds like you're you're hearing both the DI and the recorded playback. There will be a time delay between those two things. DAWs do that. Mute the DAW's output so you're only hearing the signal as you play.

Turn off input monitoring for the track.

Cliff has the best answer here and never record with input monitoring on. You will hear no latency this way. To keep latency down also in ASIO driver settings on your DAW, find the sweet spot on your buffer setting that your recordings will still sound good. This is how fast it sends audio in and out. If you send it too fast it will sound bad with a bottleneck, and if you send it too slow, the latency gets worse. I only use my Axe as an interface when I am recording guitar because the Axe is USB still. The best format to use is Thunderbolt that has almost no latency. I think mine is 2.5ms with my Focusrite audio interface. I researched this and had to build a new computer that supported Thunderbolt. Most do not have a motherboard that supports Thunderbolt, so I am sure this is why the Axe is still USB.

Cliff has the best answer here and never record with input monitoring on. You will hear no latency this way. To keep latency down also in ASIO driver settings on your DAW, find the sweet spot on your buffer setting that your recordings will still sound good. This is how fast it sends audio in and out. If you send it too fast it will sound bad with a bottleneck, and if you send it too slow, the latency gets worse. I only use my Axe as an interface when I am recording guitar because the Axe is USB still. The best format to use is Thunderbolt that has almost no latency. I think mine is 2.5ms with my Focusrite audio interface. I researched this and had to build a new computer that supported Thunderbolt. Most do not have a motherboard that supports Thunderbolt, so I am sure this is why the Axe is still USB.
How does one turn input monitoring off?

You can turn your latency down to 512 if your computer can handle it. At that point the lag is almost indecernable.

Not sure this is the cause of your problem, but I like to do a quick mix at the end of a home record session night, complete with plug-ins on the master buss. And invariably, I forget they are there, the next time I add more tracks to the song. In my case, the culprit is IZOTOPE mastering plugins. And the latency remains even if I bypass them. That doesn't solve the issue. I have to remove the plugins from the channel, to fix the latency problem if I'm going to record additional guitar tracks.

Also, to bridge upon what the others said, I output my Axe into a small mixer, and the output from my iMac into the mixer, and then listen to the mixer's output with headphones. I do not use input monitoring.

And maybe I'm just confused, but I appears with the 8x8 capability in the Axe III, I can send the song tracks into some of the inputs, and monitor everything through the headphone jack of the Axe III --- once again, not using Logic's input monitoring.

Apologies if this isn't the best thread for this. I'm using my III as an interface - don't have any recording lag issues BUT here's my issue:

When I record the DI signal, I monitor the tone through various presets on the III. No problem there. BUT, when I want to record that track and commit to a preset, THAT track when recorded is several hundred mili-seconds lagging behind. Unlistenable. I can then slide that track into time, but that can't be the correct thing to do. So really unsure what I'm doing wrong.

Back
Top Bottom