Anyone Else Experience Sluggish FC-12 For High CPU Presets on Axe FX3 Mk II?

Marcel

Inspired
Has anyone else experienced sluggish responses (both for clicking buttons and for updating the scribble strips) when using presets in the 80% CPU range? At several gigs this year I've had to restart Axe FX3 Mk II in the middle of a set because of this issue. It really sucks when it happens in a middle of a song because I can't restart it. I already changed the XLR cables I was using thinking maybe it's picking up some noise but I really doubt that has anything to do with it. The only common thread is it seems to happen on my more CPU-intensive patches when I'm actually using more blocks.

Last edited:
We haven't had any complaints like this in official support that I am aware of. Is this a new issue for you? What firmware version do you have installed on the FC? What about the Axe-Fx? 80% is high but not unreasonably high.

The issue definitely occurred on 16.05 and probably as far back as one or two revisions prior to that. Right now I'm running 17.01 so I don't know if it's still happening but will let you know if I can replicate it.

What’s the fw version of the FC? It’s displayed when booting.

FYI, I opened a ticket with support and have sent them the files from my full system backup. I'm going to investigate this week if the issue persists in 17.01. Unfortunately I've only had this happen on-stage so I'll have to figure out how to replicate it. My presets are complicated as I use every input/output in order to support four external EHX Series9 pedals as well as my GR-55 Guitar Synth Board.

Heavy-Synth9-Scene3.jpg

Axe-Fx3-MkII-EHX-Pedals.jpeg

It sends both the same signal. Nice way to have both loops get the same IN1 signal without having to span three rows.
Also note that feed from In 1 to Out 3/4 occurs after the Pitch Block. That specific Pitch Block is for enabling the virtual capo and I want the same re-pitched signal being sent to Outs 3/4. Out 1L, 1R are for the guitar-only audio and Out 2L, 2R are for synth-only audio. Each of those stereo outputs get sent to the mixing board on separate channels. In 2 is for the Roland GR-55 synth for my guitars with the hex pickup. I can actually output 6 different synth tones simultaneously from one guitar using this setup (4 from the EHX pedals, 2 from the Roland GR-55).

I was able to recreate the issue today so I updated the Fractal ticket with the relevant info and uploaded the preset used to replicate it.

FYI, I opened a ticket with support and have sent them the files from my full system backup. I'm going to investigate this week if the issue persists in 17.01. Unfortunately I've only had this happen on-stage so I'll have to figure out how to replicate it. My presets are complicated as I use every input/output in order to support four external EHX Series9 pedals as well as my GR-55 Guitar Synth Board.

View attachment 90114

View attachment 90115
Can we hear some clips of this rig setup? Looks interesting.

3 of my top pedals regularly stop working on my fc12. I disconnect the xlr cable and they start working but have sometimes left me hanging on crucial moments when switching scenes.

3 of my top pedals regularly stop working on my fc12. I disconnect the xlr cable and they start working but have sometimes left me hanging on crucial moments when switching scenes.
Same exact issue here. I don’t believe it’s CPU related but who knows.

Contact support... The switches are on modular boards in groups of 3.

You might have a bad module or a loose ribbon cable.

Curious as to the response you get. I sent mine in twice (including the FX3) and they couldn't replicate the problem.
Sucks to hear that bro…I can imagine it’s hard to replicate without someone playing on it a few hours on it as it’s super random and doesn’t always happen.

Has anyone else experienced sluggish responses (both for clicking buttons and for updating the scribble strips) when using presets in the 80% CPU range? At several gigs this year I've had to restart Axe FX3 Mk II in the middle of a set because of this issue. It really sucks when it happens in a middle of a song because I can't restart it. I already changed the XLR cables I was using thinking maybe it's picking up some noise but I really doubt that has anything to do with it. The only common thread is it seems to happen on my more CPU-intensive patches when I'm actually using more blocks.
Just wanted to say this has happened to me before on a previous setting. Only when the cpu is above 80%. However I’ve never updated my fc 12 😅 and my standard patch uses only around 70%

Yes, I have had that problem through the summer and even this past weekend. It has only happened to me in the middle of performances, and really jacks things up. I reported it to support in August and they requested a video of the issue, which is nearly impossible in the middle of a performance, although I was able to grab someone in the middle of a song this weekend and had them take a video of it. I sent the video to support, along with my system file. It's happened on 16.05 and previous versions. Super frustrated and losing confidence in Fractals support. They suggested I use a power conditioner....but they didn't know that it's always been used with a nice power conditioner, that is almost always on its own circuit. I have no idea where to go from here but to go with another product that doesn't do this. Sad to me because I've been playing on Fractals for 10 years, but my band and I are fed up with this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom