Anyone else dig the bona fide Marshall amp models more than.....

My grin was wide when I cranked my JVM through my Dimebag cab, nothing quite like it with my Les Paul, but really enjoy Most of the Marshall amps in the Live Gold pack in my FM3, a stupendous job by Austin B.

Agree, the JVM is a sleeper... and its awesome. So dialed in out of the box!
I too passed over it for too long, thinking the real world more rare/expensive amps would be better because they must cost way more for a reason, but I was wrong. I still like the Friedman BE a lot to be sure but the last gigs I did before Covid were all JVM centered. It sat in the mix so well without any tweaks and with an SD1 boosting jumped out just the right way for leads.

Kind of struggled with those outstanding Marshall amp models after the Cygnus Beta
firmware update. Did the amp block reset, and kind of started over again from scratch.
Not sure if it is the nice weather or my mood tonight, but those iconic Marshalls modeled
in the FM3 are better than ever with Cygnus.

Have a preset with multiple scenes where the only change is the amp in the amp block. Forgot
again who shared that idea here, and from whom I "borrowed" it from. :)

Edit: Thanks again, @peteri 🍻 🍻 🍻

My 2cents is the Brit800 is a great upgrade from FW3.02, after a few evenings w/it I'm so surprised on how much more depth it now has, the amp can go from a supper pristine clean to a power aggressive drive and anywhere in-between with more articulation than before so am really happy. Ive also tried out the Cameron Atomica last night and tonight was fiddling with Deluxe Tweed, all of these amps really are remarkable sounding, especially how well they can clean up. I'm just so pleased with this update...

Haha! I was just using the Brit800! You are right at the responsiveness, and how good it sounds.
I can literally do everything I love in a range of musical styles with that amp model and some
tasty volume and pickup adjustments on the guitar. It's SO damn good!

The Brit #34 and 800 MOD are right up there, too. Hell.... any of the great Marshall models can
get it done. Just stuck in the 80's with 800's right noow. :)

I bought a brand new Marshall JMP50 back in 1974 and it has always been my main amp throughout the years--no other tube amp comes close to both the glassy cleans and cutting crunch--and I've owned many, many other amps. Having said that the Fractal Plexi 50 preset comes closer to its overall sound than anything (or any other stock FM3 preset) with only slight tweaking to my taste. And as I use a Klon Centaur with the JMP50, I can also achieve a similar tone in the FM3 solely using the amp block gain and EQ controls--no drive pedal block needed. Great work Fractal!

Agree, the JVM is a sleeper... and its awesome. So dialed in out of the box!
I too passed over it for too long, thinking the real world more rare/expensive amps would be better because they must cost way more for a reason, but I was wrong. I still like the Friedman BE a lot to be sure but the last gigs I did before Covid were all JVM centered. It sat in the mix so well without any tweaks and with an SD1 boosting jumped out just the right way for leads.
I owned a JVM410H a couple of years ago. OD1 Orange through a 1960AV was some of the best sounds I ever had. Only downside it was very noisy and unusable without a nose gate. And at that time I was flipping a lot of amps.

Reactions: HIO
I whole heartedly agree. The below video was eye opening to me before, but now with the fm3 I can say for sure, nothing can rival a real Marshall, the moded copies just don't do it for me.

I bought a brand new Marshall JMP50 back in 1974 and it has always been my main amp throughout the years--no other tube amp comes close to both the glassy cleans and cutting crunch--and I've owned many, many other amps. Having said that the Fractal Plexi 50 preset comes closer to its overall sound than anything (or any other stock FM3 preset) with only slight tweaking to my taste. And as I use a Klon Centaur with the JMP50, I can also achieve a similar tone in the FM3 solely using the amp block gain and EQ controls--no drive pedal block needed. Great work Fractal!

Wow! Luck you. :)

I am impressed, too, with how well the Fractal does those tones.
I can be on the neck pickup of my Charvel with the volume down
to 5-6 and get those glassy cleans, and then open it up all the
way and go to the bridge pickup and it just ROARS!! :)

I just finished playing with the "Dirty Shirley" last two nights and found this to be another exciting amp, while I never owned one of these its defiantly a very interesting amp. As with all of the amps since Cygnus I'm quite surprised on how clean Shirley gets for being known as dirty, and she gets downright filthy if you like lots of gain and anywhere between, I also liked adding the Blues OD drive block with the amp for added coloring of the amp drive. Another winner for all of us!

I have found the same thing. The same convo would come up in the pedal forums all the time when I went that route. So many variations on a tube screamer. Then you play a real tube screamer and go “son of a bi#$ this sounds good!”

I think for me it’s the music I’ve heard and the gear they used. They weren’t playing Friedman or Wampler, or… take your pick.

Those other companies have their place and I have happily used many of them to get something slightly different.

Sean Meredith-Jones

Tonight on a whim I decided to take the plexi 100 preset and turn off all effects, and turn it up as loud as I could stand. It was all there: the sag, the sustain, the feedback, the overtones, and no effects to wash out the raw tone.

Then I tried lowering the gain and raising the volume further and you’ve got that dynamic pick light/hard ease of control. Was I thinking about the fact that I wasn’t legit, playing a computer through a loudspeaker? Not once.

Boutique Marshall’s came about because of a need to customize your sound. I would bet you can start with a Plexi model and end up with a pretty spot on bogner, or Cameron, or Friedman sound without much trouble at all.

Every now and then I like to fire up the Friedman Smallbox for a chunky plexi sound. So the boutiques can have their place.

I may have felt some movement in the amp model underworld. There is a mysterious
pull to the Fryette D60---an amp I used to own. :)

I was playing Marco's free 50 watt Plexi preset from the G66 site for a good while last night. To the point I started to think about buying a real one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom