Anyone Doing W/D With 2 Cabs?

CudBucket

Inspired
I recently created a patch where I have an amp set up in row 2 with shunts all the way to the end. In the mixer I push Row 2's signal hard left so it comes out of my left cab. In row 3 I selected a delay and use a diagonal shunt from the amp in row 2 to the delay in row 3, then shunts from the delay all the way down row 3 to the end.. The delay's mix is 100%, balance is hard right as is the balance for row 3 in the Mixer.

So, when I turn the level of my right cab to 0 from the power amp, I just hear dry signal in the left cab. If I reverse that and turn the left cab off but leave the right cab on, I hear only the repeats of the delay, not the initial actual picked note.

So, it appears to me that I've got a totally dry cab and a totally wet cab. It sounds excellent so I was wondering if anyone else does this because I never read about guys who do.

It looks like this btw...

-----------AMP-----------------------------------
--------------\
----------------\DEL------------------------------

Dave

I have not tried that with the Axe but know a few guys who run seperate physical amp rigs that do that. Cool idea!

I did that when I was running a power amp and cabs, and now with my studio monitors. I love the sound of only having my amp tone in one cab/monitor, and not spread out in stereo. Technically, it's more of a "W-W/D" set up, because while I have all my dry amp tones panned hard right, most of my effects (usually just a ping pong delay) are in stereo, so they are going into both monitors. I do have some patches that only have a mono delay panned hard left and I love the separation and clarity you get when doing that.

My perfect setup would be to have a third monitor and run it W/D/W and always have a completely dry amp tone in the center, but I can't bring myself to spend the money for a monitor that would mainly only be used for a few delay repeats. :lol:

MusicManJP6 said:
Cool idea, Dave. I'll have to try this out.

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah, Adam let me know what you think. I never posted about this because it seems so easy to do and figured alot of guys would. Since playing in stereo doesn't really buy you that much live, I figured this is better because it doesn't rely on separation. I just stack my 1x12 cabs on top of eachother.

I messed with this a wile back and though it sounds cool and is fun to set it up that way it doesn't offer much benefit in FOH in a live performance. I find that putting the effects after the cab block sounds just as good in FOH. But I will say that running it like that in the room or on stage offers a lot of depth and is simply killer sounding.

Sixstring said:
I messed with this a wile back and though it sounds cool and is fun to set it up that way it doesn't offer much benefit in FOH in a live performance. I find that putting the effects after the cab block sounds just as good in FOH. But I will say that running it like that in the room or on stage offers a lot of depth and is simply killer sounding.

Interesting. I have yet to play my Axe through anything but real cabs so I don't use cab blocks and obviously have the cab sims turned off. It's definitely a cool way of running the thing because you can go strictly W/D or pass some or all of your fx through the Dry cab as well. For instance you can keep your Wet cab for just Delay, and then run a Chorus through the "Dry" or non-delayed cab. It's pretty cool. The kind of thing that would be a pain in the ass to try with external gear. And if you don't like it, you can just switch to another patch. No cables to unplug or gear to move.

Dave

CudBucket said:
Just curious as to why this thread was moved here. :?:

I think I read somewhere that the mods had been getting behind with keeping things in the right forums and were going to be doing some housecleaning to get things back in line...maybe they saw your thread title and thought you were talking about two physical cabs instead of cab blocks?

Back
Top Bottom