Anyone dialled in a Neurosis/Isis sound?

Hansen

Experienced
I guess this might be a bit more challenging as it is a heavy kind of overdriven sound. I am not quite sure but I think one of the guitarists uses an ampeq top with guitar pedals going into it. They have a very heavy sound, but not like the typical metal distortion. It's mostly suitable for slower riffs. Anybody tried to dial in this?

Neurosis - live in Paris 2013 | FULL SET PROSHOT - YouTube

In case it helps, here are some links to and old interview in Guitarplayer magazine and a picture of Steve Von Till's rig during the sessions for Honour found in decay.

I've seen them live a few times and the equipment they were using matched more or less to what it's depicted in the article, though I've seen Scott playing through a Mesa Boogie instead of the JCM800, and then there's the Ampeg in the video you posted.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...&set=a.101024689116.91034.101017314116&type=1

GuitarPlayer: Neurosis

Yeah, Scott's rig is pretty simple...JCM800 and occasionally a pedal. Steve's would be a fun Axe FX challenge.

He uses two amps that are always on, a Mesa Mark IV and a Garnet combo (which is replaced by a Fender Twin on tour, because they rent amps). For his high gain sound, he runs both amps with Rat pedals into them. The combination of the boosted Mesa and dirt pedal into clean amp are what gives him his signature sound, along with a CAE switcher that allows him to select or combine his bridge and neck pickups. He's also a pedal junkie...a lot of the swirly, analog synthy, bit crush-y sounds that I thought were Noah's keyboard parts are actually guitar...

^

That sounds pretty detailed. :) I was gonna say JCM800 and a Fender with pedals. I think a big part of their sound is the bass also. It is always distorted and blends in with the guitars. I think it would be hard to replicate that with just a guitar.

Back
Top Bottom