Anyone come up with a good Brent Mason style country guitar tone?

Check Doug Seven's website. In the free stuff there's a tutorial about how to construct a nice country tone with analog equipment.

EDIT : checked on the web and it seems this site and or the guy has gone bad and one should NOT buy anything anymore there. I actually abandonned the site in 2019 when they got very agressive with commercial mails every day.

Still what I got there when all was OK, is very valuable stuff. As it doesn't exist anymore don't hesitate to PM me and I'll send a DL link for the free stuff.

Sorry for the error.

Last edited:
You might find this helpful:

I'm not really aware of much of his stuff, but based on that rig rundown I would start with this:

Input -> GEQ -> Compressor -> Drive -> Volume -> Delay -> Reverb -> Amp -> Cab -> Output

For the Compressor, set Compression about 4-5 with Mix down around 60-70%. Try the JFET or Pedal types.

For the Drive, set up a few channels you can switch: BB Pre, ACB and Tone of Kings might be some good choices.

Delay is Deluxe Mind Guy. Set Mix fairly low - maybe 10%. Feedback so you get maybe 3 repeats. Dial down the modulation a bit.

For Reverb, try a few and see what you like. His Reverb doesn't sound springy which is what would usually go before the amp, but maybe London Plate?

Amp: pick a Black Face Fender model and see what you like...

Try a 4x10 or 2x12 IR...

Hope that helps.

Honestly I don't hear anything particularly "signature" about his tones. I think they're very nice and could suit a lot of styles, which makes sense for someone that's done a lot of session work.

He doesn't come across as being set on any particular gear.

I think he's been using Deluxe Reverbs in the studio along with a pedalboard. He used to add a small amount of
chorus along with the slapback delay. Also the Tele has 3 pickups with the middle pickup on it's own volume control
so that he can blend in a touch of that.

Andy wood sells a great country preset. I tweaked a bit to taste, but it is my standard preset for anything twangy.

Damn Unix,
that was the coolest, quickest, most to the point, do quite a bit tutorial explanation. Dialed it up just to see what it would sound like. Nice! Well done sir!

Back
Top Bottom