Anyone changing patches via a MIDI interface with an iPad LIVE with a click track?

I don't think you are understanding. The midi signals get sent automatically to change patches at set times during a song to a click track the entire band is playing to. I know The Faceless does this with the Axe FX II, wondering who else is doing this. Pretty sure they use a laptop to do it though.

I don't have experience doing this, but I don't see how it's possible, unless your ipad running click can send pc' say a specific time. I'd think you'd need cubase or able ton to run your click and send pc's

Do you have a keyboard player in the band?
Or how do you play back your "midi" tracks?
And what device plays your tracks?
In the midi signal from the player you could write in the programmchanges.

If the keyboard uses this method too, you could "borrow" his midi signal.

Even wireless midi could be an option!

But all is depending on how you play back the tracks now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We use miditemp to playback some tracks with my band.
But we only playback audio tracks, so no midi is used during 1 track.
But the song selection / programmchange could be done for 1 preset at a time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any DAW capable of recording and playing back MIDI could do this.

I know that Eric (soloact) does it using digital performer.

You need to have a MIDI track that contains whatever PC#s or CC#s that you want to send. Send those as an output from your DAW into the AXE FX and it'll work just fine.

That's what I was thinking... Logic sending a Midi signal out on time with patch changes in the song. Just curious if others do this. That way I don't have to have a foot controller on stage

Yes this is done all time to control MIDI gear of all types. Not just guitar rigs. It COULD control everything... sounds, lighting, digital mixing. Just depends on how much programming you want to do.

Almost any sequencer on Mac or PC would do what you want to do, but I don't know of anything on Ipad that'll do it. Certainly not that would be a place to both create and play the tracks. Most cool sequencers on Ipad are more pattern sequencers. If you're using something like Cubasis (don't know if it'll send PC) how would you change tunes?

With computer, done all the time, with Ipad, unlikely, though maybe. I don't know if Genome midi sequencer has a bar limit for its' patterns. If it doesn't you could have one pattern per tune and it might be doable.

The iPad app "Onsong" version 2.0 may include the ability to issue mid song Midi PC/CC changes. It certainly can do that on song change as my backing tracks are selected and the right Axe-Fx11 preset to match is changed. Without backing track or click track maintaining the tempo, a midi song change could be out of sync with a band. No word yet on when OnSong 2.0 will be released.

I remember Mark Day doing a vid of this using Logic to trigger the pitch block for the different scales in the Hotel California solo.

We use an app called Sweet Midi Player to run a click track, trigger lights and occasionally trigger a sampler for song intros. It would be easy enough to have it change our AxeFX presets as well, but we just haven't bothered.

Back
Top Bottom