Anyone catch Journey on the Today show?

Xrocker

Fractal Fanatic
I've never heard Neil Schon sound better. And that is saying something. There was no hiding the Axe Fx goodness even on my crappy TV.

I wonder if he is using the II yet. He had 2 Marshall half stacks right behind him. Couldn't tell if they even turned them on. Nobody bothered to even put a dummy mic in front of his cabs though.

This should be the next demand by amp endorsees. Provide cardboard replicas of your amps with LEDs to make them look like they are turned on.

I hate hauling equipment. It must really suck to haul gear that you only use as a prop!

Watched the link. Surprised to see Neal using a PRS singlecut was thinking he had a signature Les Paul he uses. He does sound excellent still bet he is using the Axe for effects though. The singer is very good, but wish they could have worked things out with Steve Perry since to me it takes him in the band to really call it Journey, it was his voice and Schon's guitar works that really brought them to the front of the world.

Neal switched to PRS about a year ago, He supposedly had some falling out with Gibson. Arnel is doing a great job fronting the band, I agree, it would be nice to see Perry back but to me Neal is Journey.

It just hit me that the new singer seems to be a "modeler" of Steve Perry. For me, when a huge band has a change in line up as important as a singer I wish they would go a different direction instead of trying to find a clone. Van Halen is a good example of that, when David Lee Roth was gone, Sammy Hagar did not try to sound like him at all and it was a different band that made lots more hit songs still with Hagars unique style. I did prefer the David Lee Roth days but Sammy did do alot for the band in keeping them in the cash flow. Don't see this happening with Journey since they have to keep playing the songs from the Steve Perry days to keep selling tickets, that ought to tell them to make more songs with Steve Perry. Neil Schon is one of my favorites and kinda underrated by the general public, feel the same about Richie Sambora (his solo stuff is great blues guitar). Bet you can guess I grow up in the late 70's and 80's!!

Ha! I like that,"vocal modeler". Before Arnel was discovered by Neal, he was a singer in a cover band and nailing just about every singers style they would cover. Still,he's a great talent.

Thought about the "modeler" thing because i was reading a article where someone said they saw Journey and said they seemed more like a tribute band doing the greatest hits of the Journey of days gone by. Would like to see Neil Schon come back with a totally different style band instead of older radio pop songs, I know its in him to do a different style

I'd disagree with that article. If you search on youtube, you'd find they're doing some of their "B" side stuff that they haven't done in years because Arnel can sing them. The new album, Eclipse has more rock tunes than ballads. The last track "Venus" reminds of old pre-Perry Journey with some killer jamming similar to Kohoutek. When Neal wants to do something different he'll either do a solo album or put a band together like SOUL SIRKUS which kicks major a**.

I think M@ reported that Neil is using an Ultra direct for everything. I seem to remember a Neil interview confirming that somewhere. Somebody will dig it up I'm sure. :)

From another thread:

There's a feature on Neal in the August issue of the UK mag 'Guitarist' where it shows a pic of his live rig - 2 Ultras sitting in there, also a MFC-101 in his pedalboard.

I quote: "Schon uses just one of his three Blackstar amps - alongside a trio of 4x12 S1-412B cabs - and he then runs the dry signal into his current favourite piece of kit, the rack mount Fractal Axe-FX Ultra
"It's light years beyond anything I've played." he beams.

"It's loaded man. it's a processor, but it doesn't sound or react like a processor. I've been able to get any sound I want out of it.
[One of my favourites] is a brown sounding Marshall with the mic away from the speakers just a bit"

When talking about the Eclipse album he said, "All the effects and ethereal stuff that sounds like keyboards - it's a guitar. Thats a Fractal FX
processor."

His rack also has a Gibson Echoplex Digital Pro, the Roland M-120 line mixer and Fantom XR plus the Lectrosonic Dual receiver. His pedalboard has (in addition to the MFC) 3 Roland EV-300L vol/exp pedals, EV-5 pedal for guitar synth, a Boss CS-2 compression sustainer, a EWS FD-1 Fuzzy Drive and Wampler's Nirvana Chorus.

His main live guitar is a PRS 22 Single Cut with a Floyd Rose, a DiMarzio Fast Track (with sustainer) in the neck and a '57 Plus in the bridge - though he uses a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom in the studio.

He also says he's gonna sue that Mark Day fella for doing all that Journey stuff unless he hands over his Axe II (coz he reckons that he's still got to hang on for 6 months before his name comes up on the waiting list :p)

Back
Top Bottom