Anyone bought a Warmoth neck recently? Cut nut or not?

maxdown

Fractal Fanatic
Thinking of building a partocaster using a used MIM Strat body, Supervee Bladerunner '6 screw' trem replacement, Zexcoil Signature set pups with Silent Splits and blend pot and a 10-16 composite radius 22 fret 'Angled Strat' maple/rosewood neck (Clapton v neck profile) from Warmoth (13 degree angle on the headstock so no string tree required) and a set of Planet Waves locking EZ trim tuners.

I'm expecting that the frets will need some dressing on the neck - but I'm opting to get the nut (Tusq XL) fitted and cut at Warmoth.

Just wondering, if anyone has recently bought a Warmoth neck:

1. Are the Maple necks (satin finished) in general good quality from Warmoth these days?

2. Does the angled headstock have any drastic effect on the Strat tone? (should I decide to go more stock type pups sometime)

2. Do they cut the nuts well or should I get it cut myself?

They don't seem to ask what size strings you will be using so don't really see how they can be accurate in the nut cutting? Do they just leave it cut high and expect you to file the slots down to your preferred height?

Sounds like a great guitar! I have a Warmoth that I finished myself so I can give you my 2 cents.

1. My neck is a mahogany neck, seems good quality. (finished it myself though)
2. Angle headstock shouldn't make that much of a tone difference. However, it will exert more pressure down on the nut, which may reduce tuning stability.
3. Some people rave about the nuts being cut perfect. I don't think that's the case. You can only cut a nut perfectly once you've got your desired set of strings on the guitar. I had to file down my slots to get it to optimum height.

Hope that helps!!

The nut on mine was cut ok; you really cant cut it perfectly until you mount the neck, set the relief, ect. Ultimately, I was able to lower it a little. If the frets needed any work I didn't notice. This neck is one of the best I have ever played. I have had it a couple of years.

Thanks guys .... re the angled headstock - I'd hoped the slippier Tusq xl nut would help with any tuning issues due to possible hitching at the nut .... I could go for a LSR nut ... but the extra routing needed makes it LSR or nothing from that point on without some fiddly back filling.

I could also wind the string 'upwards' above the tuner hole I guess if the top e and b strings have too much break over the nut.

I'll contact Supervee and check out if the full locking SV fits an angled headstock just as a backup solution if it goes horribly wrong with the bladerunner

I worked at Warmoth in the mid 90's.

Look at USA Custom Guitars.
The "oil" dip that Warmoth does kills them, IMO.

Hmmm .... so even the 'unfinished' necks get dipped in the sealer too it seems? I might rethink the neck wood and go for something denser and more naturally oilier than maple - it might resist the sealer a bit more. Though I'm sure the truss rod system contributes quite a bit to brightening the tone in the necks .... lot of metal in there it looks like.

I worked at Warmoth in the mid 90's.

Look at USA Custom Guitars.
The "oil" dip that Warmoth does kills them, IMO.

What he said, talk to Tommy Rosamond about your needs, he will fix you up with whatever you need (absolutly top notch).

What he said, talk to Tommy Rosamond about your needs, he will fix you up with whatever you need (absolutly top notch).

Yep. Unfortunately, Brett Faust left USAGC a while bad. He was the fret guy at Warmoth when I was there, and came from the Fender Custom shop years ago. That guy is a great fretman. I'll bet you could get an unfretted neck and have Brett fret it... Not sure who they've got doing frets there now, but I'm sure they're good.

It was so long ago that I don't recall if the unfinished necks got dipped as well. I want to remember that they all got dipped though. I don't even remember what the "oil" was exactly. Tung oil, maybe?

My fondest memories of Warmoth was watching Ken Warmoth get pissed and play frisbee with an entire stack of bodies... just flyin' across the shop. Made for good firewood.

Back
Top Bottom