Anyone actually happy here and enjoying their gear?

I've been in a perpetual state of musical happiness since 2010 when I bought an Ultra. Today I'm totally satisfied with the Axe II and the AX8.

Funny, I was just thinking about posting how unbelievably happy I am with this gear - I can't stop playing, it sounds so good. I've had it since Nov and every other day I discover something new, cool, different that I didn't know the day before. It is simply an amazing piece of gear, easily the best money I've spent in a long time.

Love it!

Working in music (20+ years now); and, for as much as I really like what I do (particularly right now) and am thankful for the unique opportunity to use my talents and training professionally, making a living in music is a struggle. (yes, other careers have their own challenges, of course) I didn't have any real business or professional training or assistance in college (nor grad school). So, I've worked to make my own way.

I regret that I rarely play my electric guitar gear anymore. I would like to be. The Axe FX is absolutely awesome, and like for so many others, has replaced a room full of gear.

So, not wanting to be negative, just realistically answering the question.

"Happy as a Field Lark" as my Dad always says. Love the AX8, got some guitars I like, only limited by my own ability.

Am gassing for a Gretsch, never had one.

It was scary taking a chance on a near unknown company for some serious bucks on a device you couldn't try or hear. Then to wait 6 months (3 days, 4 hours, 12 minutes) for it to come in did nothing but add to the angst. Now 10 years later I still use that Ultra live with killer tones, never a firmware update failure, performing so much better than the day I bought it due to updates.

It's impossible to be anything but happy. I wish I enjoyed that same journey with all my gear.

I have found the mkII to be a most invaluable tool live/in studio/and soon- school. it’s complete freedom, and I can’t ask anything more of it.

I have to say I'm pretty happy indeed with my AX8 and CLR, and especially v9.04 firmware, no doubt about it...

Did my once a year blues/R&B/rock show over the weekend and it was a total fly by the seat of your pants gig. No rehearsal (singer came in from out of town), was debuting a brand new guitar I just got a couple weeks ago (a Suhr Classic Pro...ohhhhh) which I've only played here at home so far, had new, untested AX8 presets roughed in, and bam we were live...

Tweaked the AX8 during the first set a bit, a round of minor tweaks to the main presets after the first break, and I was pretty much good to go for Friday night. Was only using three presets/main tones, a bluesy/overdrive, a rock preset (I'm using an expression pedal to dial in the Input Gain on both), and a dedicated lead preset. Kept it simple and manageable...but, I needed to...

...tweak my pickup heights, which I did yesterday, and the planets all aligned last night...big fat punchy Strat tones onstage and out front...lot's of people commented on the guitar sound. Great rig...I love it. So small, convenient, functional, and easy to use.

This is only the second gig I've done with 9.04 and the first with a killer Strat; I'm very, very, happy with the combo and enjoying my Fractal rig immensely. Used some nice choruses, phasers, reverbs, tremelos, and delays for spice here and there...awesome in every way.

The tones are there and the feel is very satisfying...when your sound is happening and you really get into that zone to play...exactly where you want to be.

The best thing is when people come up to see what I'm using for 'an amp' as they are enthusing over what they are hearing from the PA and they are stunned when I say it's all in this pedal (I have the AX8 on a board with two expression pedals) and plugged right into the mixer/PA....they are always truly amazed, every time..even if they are not musicians/guitar players.

So yea, I'm happy....

Last edited:
It's actually kind of ironic, I've gone direct with my AX8 for the last 3 months. I love the tone I get with my amps and FX8 but have had more compliments on my tone and had more guys scratching their heads since going direct than with my amps. So yes, I am loving my Fractal gear!

100% with the AX8. Sold all the amps, cabinets, and effect pedals.

Just the AX8 and Friedman ASC...and that's all I need.

The great part is since I don't chase tone anymore I have a surplus of funds that goes to buying more guitars.

I’m the happiest I’ve ever been gear wise since switching to the AX8 2 years ago. It does everything I ever dreamed about and could ever dream up. I had the II for 3 years before that but didn’t spend the time to really learn it enough to get what I wanted out of it. But when Quantum came out that changed things for me. I have the III now and need to spend some serious time that I don’t have with it. But I’m not in a hurry. The AX8 does everything I need.

I'm very happy with the amp sims and effects. My only nag would be that I've struggled with a few of the firmware updates but that's another thread.

One of the great benefits that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet has been the education and exposure to so much of the fine detail that goes in to each effect and the various parameters and how they "affect the effect". I've gained a lot of knowledge that has helped me better understand effects and how to better use them in the recording and mixing process. In turn, this has allowed me to get more out of my DAW (Logic) and it's made my recordings sound better.

i can’t help that notice that so many threads are very negative anymore.

“ I can’t beleive this feature isn’t included” or “how could a business do this choice” or “how dare they charge this much” or “how dare they cut my resale value” or “where are the updates for life I was promised” etc etc

I seems that for every one person who got a new unit, be it a ax8 or a III, here are like 5 or 10 people unhappy about a product, or a missing feature, or how FAS runs their business etc

We’ve got so mich great gear, from so many brands, modeling, low watt tube amps, deals left and right in reverb etc.

Seems like the best time ever to be a guitar player with so many options and people just seem so negative and entitled and just overall stressed about what for most of us is supposed to be a fun hobby or side gig away from the stress of daily life.

Certainly more upbeat than the likes of places like TGP where the world seems to be coming to an end in every thread but still...

Maybe the happy owners are just too busy playing to be posting ?
I’m new to fractal, but not new to the modelling atmosphere. I have to say I have never been happier than right now with my ax8! Life is good!!!!

Personally I'd say the reason why so many address what they think are issues that could use improvements is because they care......
About themselves.
Let's not fool ourselves into thinking people are giving 'feedback' to help the company. They want what they want. Period.

Me personally, I could not be happier than I am with my FAS products. I have the III, Axe 2 MK1 and an AX8.
My complaint - I wish I had more time to play.
Anytime I fire up any of my Axe products, I find myself flipping to an amp that I have never used before (yesterday was the Triaxis Yellow), and getting lost in how it's just slightly different than other Mesa amps, etc.
I literally could never get bored of playing with my FAS units in my entire lifetime.

@lqdsnddist - good thread. It seems to get lost in the negative threads, that the majority of folks are probably as happy as can be with their FAS products.

Happy Camper here. There's always going to be some form of negativity on public forums. People's moods affect their posts or message. Sometimes frustration is voiced.

I don't post in political forums and don't participate on facebook. This is form is about as active as I've been in years. For some it's hard not to take a post personally. But think about it: It's just words and you can turn it off or walk away. Sometimes it's hard but you have complete control over your reaction to that post. It might make you mad, but that's easily fixed by reminding yourself, it's a internet forum not your real life environment. Now if your wife told you tone sucked and your gear sounds digital then you might want to take action and correct her attitude.....quickly!

Back
Top Bottom