Anybody who uses Axe FX II with in-ear?

...we make our cabs just loud enough to get over the drumset. They are not blaring and trying to reach the people in the back row. The goal here is to give the people standing in front of the stage a clear sound as they are generally standing behind the FOH speakers.
Is it possible that, by not giving the vocals the same treatment, you're making the problem worse?

Is it possible that, by not giving the vocals the same treatment, you're making the problem worse?
It's not any different from a regular ol' band (no direct, no IEMs), which is what we did in the beginning. We incorporated the IEMs in our shows because the monitoring provided at different venues varied so much, some being truly horrible. I'm aware that most people with an IEM system play on a silent stage (except drums), but our only goal with IEMs was to control our own monitoring rather than have it replace our entire stage show. Having a silent stage was something we discussed and tried for a couple shows, but ultimately decided to go with this hybrid setup.

Last edited:
It's not any different from a regular ol' band (no direct, no IEMs), which is what we did in the beginning. We incorporated the IEMs in our shows because the monitoring provided at different venues varied so much, some being truly horrible. I'm aware that most people with an IEM system play on a silent stage (except drums), but our only goal with IEMs was to control our own monitoring rather than have it replace our entire stage show. Having a silent stage was something we discussed and tried for a couple shows, but ultimately decided to go with this hybrid setup.
Understood. I'm wondering, though, whether using backline to bring the guitar up to the level of the drum kit isn't further burying the vocals for the people in front of the mains.

That's a great question. And you're right that it's not our problem. However, we're never sure what the venue setup is going to be like until we get there. We bring cabs as an insurance in case the venue can't deliver the sound we want. We only play shows once or twice a month so it's not a big deal for us.

Not be a downer... but why would you show up to a pre booked gig blind? That's just asking for problems, adds stress, makes you bring way more crap then you should... anytime we book gigs at an unfamiliar venue, we ask what is provided and ask for pictures, and measurements of stage size, inquire about power, load in/out access, parking, advertising and promoting, and payout/door how much, when, and start/end time expected..... a little time on this before hand makes everything a breeze come gig day with zero guesswork.

Understood. I'm wondering, though, whether using backline to bring the guitar up to the level of the drum kit isn't further burying the vocals for the people in front of the mains.
Totally valid point. Using front fills is definitely the answer, for sure, since they would project the vocals, but this is our solution with the gear we have at the moment.

Not be a downer... but why would you show up to a pre booked gig blind? That's just asking for problems, adds stress, makes you bring way more crap then you should... anytime we book gigs at an unfamiliar venue, we ask what is provided and ask for pictures, and measurements of stage size, inquire about power, load in/out access, parking, advertising and promoting, and payout/door how much, when, and start/end time expected..... a little time on this before hand makes everything a breeze come gig day with zero guesswork.
Nah, you're not being a downer. We always ask these questions, too, get in contact with the FOH people, and never go in blind. We prefer playing with IEMs, but also have a traditional band setup on stage. I'm not saying this is the only answer or the best answer to OP's question. I'm just sharing our solution after trial and error and hundreds of email chains.

Last edited:
Totally valid point. Using front fills is definitely the answer, for sure, since they would project the vocals, but this is our solution with the gear we have at the moment.
I get it. You have to go with what you've got. Here's a thought, though:

If you're running IEMs and mixing your own monitors, how about setting up another "monitor" mix with all your direct signals, vox included, and feed that to a small crowd-facing monitor—your own portable front fill. :)

I get it. You have to go with what you've got. Here's a thought, though:

If you're running IEMs and mixing your own monitors, how about setting up another "monitor" mix with all your direct signals, vox included, and feed that to a small crowd-facing monitor—your own portable front fill. :)
Maybe some time in the future :) The IEM rack was expensive enough so we're working with what we have. I agree with you and everyone else that having a front fill is the way to go. Coming from a traditional band setup with a bunch of other "traditional" band members, convincing them to use IEMs was already a big step.

Back
Top Bottom