Anybody use plug-ins w AxeFx-III?

bjjp2

Power User
Just getting into recording and I see all these tons of guitar plug-ins, a lot of them emulating classic amps and effects. Can’t imagine needing any of them given the Axe. Seems like for the money of a few of these you’re getting pretty close to the cost of an Axe. Anybody with the AxeFx-III who still uses an amp or effects plug in for recording guitar tracks?

No I don't use any of those, mostly I will add compression / EQ / reverb / and sometimes delay after recording.

I tried a bunch of the free ones. Some of them seemed pretty good, the LePou ones in particular, but I couldn't really tell because the only free cab IRs I could find were junk.

I suppose I could route the amp VST output to the III cab block and back, but it seems like more trouble than it would be worth.

After getting my AxeFX III, my collection of plugins are now being used as "auxiliary" effects inside Ableton.

My signal path being:
Bass -> AxeFx III -> Ableton -> Ears

For example:
  1. Additional loopers, i.e. Ableton looper, Augustus Loop, or Portal
  2. Mastering
  3. IRs for reverbs
  4. General mangling via automation
I've a few presets I can't reproduce in the AxeFx III, probably due to my lack of expertise in the AxeFx III. In such a case, my signal path changes to:
Bass -> AxeFx III -> Ableton -> AxeFx III -> Ableton -> Ears

With the first, interstitial Ableton receiving input right after the AxeFx III input block.

Yes, when I record I bypass pretty much anything that would come after the amp except for maybe EQ. I treat the Axe FX like I would a real amp. I have the FAS reverb plugin, but I use Valhalla Vintage Verb for reverb and Soundtoys EchoBoy (really the whole Soundtoys pack) 99% of the time.
Now for just jamming, then yes I use the internal effects.

As far as other amp and pedal simulators, I have a few (Bias, Helix, Plugin Alliance...) but I don't use them.

Yes, when I record I bypass pretty much anything that would come after the amp except for maybe EQ. I treat the Axe FX like I would a real amp. I have the FAS reverb plugin, but I use Valhalla Vintage Verb for reverb and Soundtoys EchoBoy (really the whole Soundtoys pack) 99% of the time.
Now for just jamming, then yes I use the internal effects.

As far as other amp and pedal simulators, I have a few (Bias, Helix, Plugin Alliance...) but I don't use them.

Was looking at the VVVV. You find it better than any of the Reverbs in the Axe?

I’ve found myself actually using the reamp feature on the Axe Fx to use the effects in the unit. Send a vocal out and record the wet of delay, reverb, etc from the Axe Fx. You do have to commit to a sound but you can always use the faders in the DAW for wet/dry mix.

I use UAD plugins out of the UAD rack both in front of and after the Fractal. Their Lexicon plugs, delays, and preamps are great.

I also use an Apogee Element 24 and Apple Mainstage to run plugins like VahallaDSP and Soundtoys in front of the Fractal. The VahallaDSP delay is about as good as it gets.

Yes, occasionally. I use some of the UAD plugins for sessions when I send tracks to producers and songwriters. Just to add a little bit extra if I find the track needs something. Usually the 1176, The Neve or the API.

I don't use the plugins when tracking; only to sweeten and "finish" the track(s)

Tracking some guitar this morning and for something thats pretty much amp/cab/reverb, I didn't use any plugins.

But for something like this, I used some of the UAD stuff. Especially to give the arpeggios pop a little bit more but stick underneath the vocals. an 1176 compressor also helped glue the distorted chorus part together a little bit.

To me, plugins are just a little bit of frosting in case you need it.

Last edited:
My signal path for playing is: Guitar -> AxeFX 3 -> Two-Notes Torpedo Studio -> Ears.

For recording, it's Guitar -> AxeFX 3 -> Wet and Dry outputs (for re-amping) -> Two-Notes Wall of Sound -> Isotope EQ -> Ears.

Maybe some custom IRs.

The AF3 is really good on its own. I But I really really really like some of the Torpedo cabs and the adjustments I can make to them.

I'm currently using the EQ in garageband because an engineer pal is providing me mix notes on my first solo project. Up until now I haven't used any plugins.

I'm also going to read the manual so that I can use the depth of the 3 instead of the GB options. Doesn't hurt to get familiar.

Was looking at the VVVV. You find it better than any of the Reverbs in the Axe?
The FAS reverb plugin is great as well, but I find the VVV easier to get great sounds. The FAS I feel I have to tweak a lot more to get to a pleasing point. I initially tried the VVV after watching many professional engineers I look up to using it.

The FAS reverb plugin is great as well, but I find the VVV easier to get great sounds. The FAS I feel I have to tweak a lot more to get to a pleasing point. I initially tried the VVV after watching many professional engineers I look up to using it.

But why not use the verbs on the Axe? My understanding is the FAS verb plugin hasn’t kept up.

But why not use the verbs on the Axe? My understanding is the FAS verb plugin hasn’t kept up.
I record my multiple guitar tracks in mono, then sent to stereo busses including a reverb bus. I wouldn't want to "print" the reverb on the way in as I wouldn't have any control over it afterwards and I lose the option of automation.

I have lost all interest in guitar amp emulation products since getting my first Fractal product (AX8, now I am on AxeIII)

I use lots (too many really) of other kinds of plugins. I have the whole Soundtoys package, and I really love Echoboy and their Little Plate reverb. For other reverb types, I use the Eventide UltraReverb.

When I record guitar, I record the DI track, the dry guitar sound and the wet FX (stereo) separately. That gives me the option to blend the FX after the fact, and if I want to I can easily replace the FX.

I always record a dry track so I can reamp the guitar through the Axe-FX when mixing down to adjust the tone and FX to the mix. No need of VSTs for the guitar, only for the other tracks and for mastering. For that I use Waves

Back
Top Bottom