Anybody use Axe-Fx w/ Reason 6? Other tips w/ recording needed.

enigma

Inspired
Hi folks. I'm doing a school project and will be writing and recording a song. I've bought the tools I need to proceed, and am learning as I go. If you could give me a link or some direction in the areas of your "expertise" that would be great. I'm a total noob at this though I dabbled with ProTools a while ago.

I'll be doing 2 guitar tracks; bass track (DI or mic'd); drums; keys possibly inside Reason w/ my controller; and voices.
What I have: Axe-Fx2, Reason 6, M-Audio Fast Track Pro,

CONNECTION and Connecting Device:
1. Axe-Fx to Reason (using mac pro)
2. Drum Recording Tips (I'm thinking of using/buying Apogee 2 or Forget the brand w/ multiple XLR inputs)
3. Which Mics system best for drum recording?
4. Mic via USB to Macbook Pro - which connecting device?
5. Any tutorial links?

Thanks!

Sounds like you are all set!

I am operating on Win 7 / 64 but it should not be a big difference in terms of Win vs Mac, except when you want to operate your Axe as an audio interface in parallel with your M-Audio (as your speakers are likely attached to the M-Audio) - e.g. for re-amping. In Mac you have the option to setup an aggregate device for both audio interfaces. In Windows you are scr...ed. I solve this issue with a 19" line mixer connected to my monitor speakers as well as my audio interface and the Axe Out 1 and have to manually switch audio interfaces in the Reason preferences tab whenever I want to change interfaces.

Reason 6 works great for the Axe: Either connect from the Axe via analog instrument cables or SPDIF (in the latter case your Reason project MUST run at 48 khz - do not forget that - best to save it in your Reason template as the default is 44.1 khz). In Reason, create an audio track and in its properties (arrow down symbol) choose mono or stereo and the appropriate input(s), depending on how you connect to the Axe.

And you are ready to roll...

Last edited:
I highly suggest Reason Drum & Bass Refills. They're fairly cheap, sound great, & are integrated specific for the DAW. I've had Reason for a couple of years now. It's my first DAW & is really nice and user friendly for a noob to the home recording world like me. Axe II works great with it as an interface!

Sounds like you are all set!

I am operating on Win 7 / 64 but it should not be a big difference in terms of Win vs Mac, except when you want to operate your Axe as an audio interface in parallel with your M-Audio (as your speakers are likely attached to the M-Audio) - e.g. for re-amping. In Mac you have the option to setup an aggregate device for both audio interfaces. In Windows you are scr...ed. I solve this issue with a 19" line mixer connected to my monitor speakers as well as my audio interface and the Axe Out 1 and have to manually switch audio interfaces in the Reason preferences tab whenever I want to change interfaces.

Reason 6 works great for the Axe: Either connect from the Axe via analog instrument cables or SPDIF (in the latter case your Reason project MUST run at 48 khz - do not forget that - best to save it in your Reason template as the default is 44.1 khz). In Reason, create an audio track and in its properties (arrow down symbol) choose mono or stereo and the appropriate input(s), depending on how you connect to the Axe.

And you are ready to roll...

Thanks for that!

I highly suggest Reason Drum & Bass Refills. They're fairly cheap, sound great, & are integrated specific for the DAW. I've had Reason for a couple of years now. It's my first DAW & is really nice and user friendly for a noob to the home recording world like me. Axe II works great with it as an interface!

Nice! This is WHAT I needed!

Nice! This is WHAT I needed!

Cool Man! Yeah, definitely check out all the Propellerhead vids on YouTube. There is a wealth of information that was invaluable to me and still is. The Line 6 integration is pretty sweet also, especially for making demos on the fly in the event you don't have your Axe available. Cool software!

So, I'm connecting from Axe-Fx to M-Audio Fast Track Pro via 1/4" Cable (Out 1R to M-Audio). Have Reason up with a new file (16track audio mixer) and I'm not getting any input. I have "record" in on. Need help in this regard. I'm thinking it has to do w/ "external control" in the preference.

Last edited:
Hard to say from here...

Some things to check:
1. In Reason preferences, M-Audio interface properly selected, the right active input channels selected?
2. Speakers connected to M-Audio interface, in Preferences monitoring selected to "automatic"? Do you see input levels on this channel at all?
3. In Reason track, the right input channels selected, little speaker symbol in the channel row is "green"? If not press to enable...
4. In Axe, output level set to appropriate volume?

Tried to bring up the 16 Track Tape Recorder template in Reason and it did work for me right away.

Back
Top Bottom