Anybody tried the Squier classic vibe

As the title suggests, I am thinking of adding a squirt classic vibe 60s Strat to my collection. This will not be my primary guitar - I have a PRS CE-24 and a Tokai LP for that.

I used to own a fender Strat and miss the single coils. The PRS offers a coil split but I don’t think it compares to a start sound. This is purely for bedroom playing.

Any experiences on how the CVs are?

I had one, it's ok for a cheap guitar. Glossy neck was a bit sticky, light sanding fixes that. I wouldn't buy new, used the price/performance is good.

Had a 50s classic vibe. Sold if for Fender Performer Strat. Really miss the Squire. I'd upgrade the pickups however.

Find a used MIM. I tried to give the Squier CV series a fair shake but couldn't get over the difference in quality between them and even the Mexican series strat or tele. I played several CV's, new and used, in a few different stores and they all fell short of the hype.

I'm not loyal to a particular brand nor am I concerned about the name on the headstock or how much it cost. I wanted desperately to like the CV, I typically replace at least the pickups and controls in any guitar I buy and all I was looking for was a solid, quality neck and body. Something that feels good, plays good and is well constructed. Out of the dozen or so I played, there wasn't a single CV that felt worth buying.

I have a classic vibe Tele - very good. Great value for the money. As mentioned, great modding platform if you want to tweak it up too.

Not a great modding platform really because no matter what you put on it the wood and paint still impart a tone and it's not a good one.
I year or so ago I fitted a set of Lollar pickups with new CTS/CRL and a wax paper cap and a Gotoh 510 to a Mexican Classic Player and it only works to an extent. You would be surprised how much of a tone suck the thick plastic paint job is. If you want a great modding platform it has to not have anything fundamentally wrong and these do. Oh and the frets are butter soft.

Not a great modding platform really because no matter what you put on it the wood and paint still impart a tone and it's not a good one.
I year or so ago I fitted a set of Lollar pickups with new CTS/CRL and a wax paper cap and a Gotoh 510 to a Mexican Classic Player and it only works to an extent. You would be surprised how much of a tone suck the thick plastic paint job is. If you want a great modding platform it has to not have anything fundamentally wrong and these do. Oh and the frets are butter soft.
Guess with the squiers you must have a bit of luck, try ten of them and one will come out good. I know I will not sell mine nor change it for a Fender US. This axe just sounds. Regarding the frets...this depends just on how you play and how often. I'll kill the frets on any main guitar within 5 years. Others can do 10 or more with a guitar. Didn't notice anything particular at all on the squier frets, just that they're not medium fat jumbos which I prefer.

Thanks for all your inputs.

Taking the discussion a bit further - in your experience, are the MIA strats quite different than the MIM strats? Especially around fit and finish?

I’m also averse to the ceramic pickups in the MIM and that’s why was thinking about the CV.

The Fender MIM deluxe and Player series strats are usually good guitars and compare quite favorably to the USA Performer. Again, getting into the "upper" USA models, the fit and finish is a little better. Most notably the fretwork.

If you buy a cheap Fender with a view to upgrade it make super sure the ACOUSTIC tone of the instrument is solid because you are not going to be able to improve it much. Even the very cheapest strat bridges Fender use sound pretty good so new high end ones are not going to bring something out that isn't there already.

Back
Top Bottom