Anybody tried the Lexicon MPXR1 controller??

GtarLover

Experienced
I just happened to have one lying around ;) and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with trying this with the Axe. I never really used it that much, but you know how it is, can't sell ANYTHING!! I have been trying out the G-System foot controller, yes I know it's a G-System, but it's what I had been using before my enlightenment. Anyway, that works OK, and I also wanted to try the FCB 1010. Just trying to get all the info and get a usable system until my Fractal controller comes, I'm on the list :mrgreen:

Thanks for everything that everyone has shared here and previously on the other boards. I have learned and gotten so much from all you guys, I really appreciate it :D

Rock it!!!! :ugeek:

I'm smiley happy...sorry :oops:

I used FCB1010 with UnO chip for many gigs and recording sessions and it worked great every single time. The best $100 I ever spent on a controller.

Mik.

Java did Cliff say anything about the Lexicon to you?? I mean good things, limitations, programming ease, etc..? Thanks

GtarLover said:
Java did Cliff say anything about the Lexicon to you?? I mean good things, limitations, programming ease, etc..? Thanks

Only that he used it, it does the bank select thing. I used to own one w/ mpx1-g2. The thing I don't like about it is you have to go to another mode to turn effects on/off.

Yeah, thanks Java. I was hoping it might be a better choice than the G System controller, but the G System will toggle effects on/off there just isn't a large number of switches. I have had to choose effects and let go of a significant number of possibilities. I looked at the FX1, it's just so much $$$ :shock:

Got one... pretty good programming possibilities in it when looking at it in that sense only (not close to Cliffs upcoming board or LiquidFoots specs).

However the quality of the switches is the WORST I´ve ever seen. When lexicon had ad´s out marketing it, it said that it were built to withstand touring abuse. It didn´t even pass my gentle rehearsal events... and I´m not heavyfooted nor abusing things so I were very disappointed of that thing back then (7-8 years ago). It could have gone to the garbage can if it weren´t for me having problems getting rid of music things...

Glad it didn´t, my project now is to build a new chassi for the R1 PCB. Got new switches for it from Weber. Will probably post images on this forum when finished...

/Mike

Would definitely like to see what you end up with. Maybe I'll send mine out to you for an overhaul :eek:

Tick Tick Tick, oh, that's just me watching the clock until the MFC 101 is shipping ;)

However the quality of the switches is the WORST I´ve ever seen. When lexicon had ad´s out marketing it, it said that it were built to withstand touring abuse. It didn´t even pass my gentle rehearsal events... and I´m not heavyfooted nor abusing things so I were very disappointed of that thing back then (7-8 years ago). It could have gone to the garbage can if it weren´t for me having problems getting rid of music things...

+1

The R1-switches are the worst I've ever seen in a footcontroler. Immediately after the purchase I had mine in a repair shop to fix it. After several month some switches were broken again. Crap. They used miniature switches on the PCB!

Nevertheless, recently I tried the R1 in combination with the Ultra - not really useful. With the Lexicon G2 I liked the idea to flip between FX and program mode with a dedicated button. This works for the Axe-FX, too - but only for one program (patch). Because there is no bi-directional communication between both units, the status of the stomp boxes don't change when changing from one patch to another.

BTW: The CC for the tempo-switch is 119 - I remember there was a question about that in the old forum. Just in case ...

lad it didn´t, my project now is to build a new chassi for the R1 PCB. Got new switches for it from Weber. Will probably post images on this forum when finished...

@miketheman: I would be glad if you could tell me the exact switch you have bought (link?). I want to repair the controler before selling it ...

Thanks in advance,
Michael

I use one. Crappy switches, I've replaced over half of them.

I'm not an IA guy, more preset oriented so it works fine for me. I never use the fx mode, I just change presets and use the A/B switch as the "global bypass" CC and the toe switch is connected to the wah and pitch bypass CCs.

The problem with the switches is they're not sealed. Someone spilled a drink on mine and it ruined the whole bottom row. The liquid goes right through the plungers and into the BOB switches.

Ditto what everybody else said. The switches were terrible. The case looked rugged on the outside but were cheap little tiny switches underneath. I ordered better switches and would replace them when they went bad. On one of my soldering attempts I broke the trace on the PCB and a few of my buttons stopped working. I sold the G2 and gave the R1 away for free.

I would highly recommend avoiding the R1. Lexicon scammed us bigtime.

@Michael

www.tedweber.com
WSW-SPDT-MPB (SPDT, Full Size Metal Momentary Pushbutton Switch, 4A/125V)

For me I hope that the switches LED status in the FX-mode won´t be a problem, will probably have them more specifically for controlling my Gibson Echoplex... or maybe my Clavia G2 Engine... or both at the same time, meaning having the G2 Engine controlling the Echoplex for me... :ugeek:

I were first aiming to have one big sized board with a total of 40 switches (!!!)... but thought about it one more time and came to the conclusion that some stages ARE a bit tight of space (duh!?). So it will now be two separate boards, one with the R1 and the other one loaded with a Doepfer Pocket Electronics (http://www.doepfer.de/home_e.htm) pcb for CCs only.

Arrrrghhhh... had someone broke in my car some days ago, and I´ve just recently finally got the funds to bring me a Ultra home from German. Now I have to wait and see if the insurance will cover it all... or if I have to buy a new car (it´s an OLD car... that means old with big O).

/Mike

I have a lexicon as well. I actually took mine to Harmon international here in Salt Lake City, where the Lexicon service department is. They replaced all the switches with a new aftermarket type, and upgraded a an EPROM. It has worked great ever since. I use it with the A/FX without any problems. I do agree that the change in and out of FX mode is a pain in the ass. I have since just created duplicate patches with different effects turned on and off. For my money, one of the best implementations of a pedal board is simply the Line 6 FBV. It does sound like Cliff's board will have many of those features. Too bad it won't have an integrated pedal (I think that's correct?)

JGuss

Well, I am glad to have posted this topic. I appreciate the feedback. I am definitely with the "Lame Switches" crowd and currently have one that is tweaked. Otherwise, I am finding that I can use the R1. Granted, it is not the ideal, yet while I am waiting for the ideal...wink, wink...it is doing the job for now. I don't want to purchase anything else before I see the MPC101 from Cliff. It just doesn't make any sense. Just for curiosity sake, what did the new switches and EPROM update cost?? That actually sounds like a reasonable option if it doesn't cost a too much.

Thanks for all the good info guys...keep your Ultras on stun!!! Oh hell, just go ahead and get :twisted:

GtarLover said:
Well, I am glad to have posted this topic. I appreciate the feedback. I am definitely with the "Lame Switches" crowd and currently have one that is tweaked. Otherwise, I am finding that I can use the R1. Granted, it is not the ideal, yet while I am waiting for the ideal...wink, wink...it is doing the job for now. I don't want to purchase anything else before I see the MPC101 from Cliff. It just doesn't make any sense. Just for curiosity sake, what did the new switches and EPROM update cost?? That actually sounds like a reasonable option if it doesn't cost a too much.

Thanks for all the good info guys...keep your Ultras on stun!!! Oh hell, just go ahead and get :twisted:

If I rememebr correctly it was around $30-40 for the compelte set of switches and the guy was from Germany. This is many years ago so I may be incorrect. There is a website by a former Lexicon employee that has a lot of info about the G2. I think the guy's name was Bob Sellon(sp?). You might try googling that. That's where I found the link to get the switches.

Back
Top Bottom