Anybody running Matrix -> Mesa 4x12?

RockerAlex

Inspired
This is a very specific demand but if anybody has the above setup (or any sort of V30 4x12) could you tell me what's wrong/right about this patch?

Attachments

• Not quite right.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 31
This is a very specific demand but if anybody has the above setup (or any sort of V30 4x12) could you tell me what's wrong/right about this patch?

Not really sure what you're wanting from the preset (tonewise), but normally I would use Output 2 to drive a power amp and guitar cab via an FX block, and reserve Output 1 for FRFR use. This one uses the Splawn Nitrous, I added an FX block and a cab block and tweaked the noise gate a bit. You would need to connect your Matrix power amp to Output 2 or bypass the cab block for this preset.

Attachments

• Not quite right2.syx
    6.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Not really sure what you're wanting from the preset (tonewise), but normally I would use Output 2 to drive a power amp and guitar cab via an FX block, and reserve Output 1 for FRFR use. I added an FX block and a cab block and tweaked the noise gate a bit, nothing major. You would need to connect your Matrix power amp to Output 2 in this preset configuration.

Does using output 2 change anything tonally? I've always just used 1 from day 1, have I been doing it wrong?

As I said, it's a patch for power amp and cab ... How does it sound over there for you guys? I'm attempting to get a tight "djent" distortion with my custom 8 with EMGs ... It just sounds very "hissy" or "hairy" even with everything above 12k rolled off, i also feel like there's a blanket over my cab, how do you dial that out? If you look in the advanced parameters you'll see I've changed a good few things.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

View attachment 20955
Try this. I hear what you are hearing. I modified an amp that i like to sound like what you were trying to do. I left your amp in the chain bypassed so you can a/b them. Your amp just didn't have the richness and the midrange punch. let me know what you think.

Awesome, I'll have to check it out tomorrow when I get back home to my amp.

Had a wee listen just there man, I'm still getting that mattress over my speakers sound around what I think is the mid frequencies ... I'm using a Mesa 4x12 which has the special voiced V30s in.

Few other things to note are that this patch clips the outputs for me, I seem to be using hotter pickups than you? (EMG 808s) And I'm not getting the "tightness" I'm going for with this one, you have the supply sag quite high up, I usually run it at 0.01 for the "tightest" possible tone.

How did you go about fixing it?

Not fixed yet. New rig has not passed all the tests yet to replace the old one. Not far from..
Contemplating ideas now, including in-ear (never liked it), tube poweramp, and different heads that might give me what i feel is right.
I play a lot of high gain and matrix doesn't cut through right. I'm sure it will make a good backup though, since it's light and just 1U.. and thinking about using it for drummer's direct monitor, into a 2x12 straight in his face! :D

A tube power amp will solve your issues. It has more of the classic "amp in room/tube punch and cut" that you're looking for. Although with fw14, the 5153 Red channel tweaked out cuts through big time. Try using some amps that you normally don't and see what you can dial in.

A tube power amp will solve your issues. It has more of the classic "amp in room/tube punch and cut" that you're looking for. Although with fw14, the 5153 Red channel tweaked out cuts through big time. Try using some amps that you normally don't and see what you can dial in.

I've never liked the sound of real tubes, that's why I bought the Axe in the first place ... I'm sure that I can tweak a patch to my taste, I'm just having trouble with the new firmware as I had to start everything over again.

Yes, sound weird that one would use a tube amp with the Axe... All the tube thing is supposed to be accounted for in software. Otherwise, what would the use be of using a modeller? If it's the cab's "fault" I'd not advise to "patch" it by changing the power amp. On the contrary, the latter should be as linear and transparent as possible, and the Matrix (while I've never used one in person) has made many men happy, as DonBarziny would certainly state at this stage :D

I've never liked the sound of real tubes, that's why I bought the Axe in the first place ... I'm sure that I can tweak a patch to my taste, I'm just having trouble with the new firmware as I had to start everything over again.

So you don't like the sound of tubes, but you bought a device that replicates the sound of tube amps?

Tube characteristics that I didn't like can be dailed out.

For example, I've never used grid modelling on since day one, it sounds horrible to me. It's even better now with smooth/ideal ... I can't tell if I like mimic either yet, the tone I go for is very much polished album tone rather than gritty tube amp, but each to their own.

So you don't like the sound of tubes, but you bought a device that replicates the sound of tube amps?

For example, I've never used grid modelling on since day one, it sounds horrible to me. It's even better now with smooth/ideal ... I can't tell if I like mimic either yet, the tone I go for is very much polished album tone rather than gritty tube amp, but each to their own.

So, it's confirmed, you don't like the sound of tubes? :)

Back
Top Bottom