Anybody replaced an X32 with MIdas M32?

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Hi,

I'm thinking of replacing the X32 with a Midas M32.
Has anyone here done that? I'd love to hear what to expect. I've done the usual searches and youtube videos. All goo but would like to hear untainted opinions.

Thanks
Pauly

I've used both. Speaking purely from a practical standpoint, the X32 is a far better value. The only major difference in most real-world scenarios is that the build quality of the M32 is better and much of the UI is easier to view.

Perhaps the quality of the preamps in the M32 might be discernible from the X32 in the most critical applications. But for live sound, I challenge anyone to perform a blind test and reliably tell the difference.

We use Midas M32s for our FOH and monitor boards and bought an X32 for our Online Campus. Only difference I've noticed is the build quality, and that's closer than people make it out to be, the M32 does feel like a more professional board though. The M32 does have better mic preamps but are they that noticeable? That's a question only you can answer. We haven't noticed an appreciable difference in audio quality recording with either as the interface (Macbook with Ableton).

I’ve used both and it depends on your use really. As an install board, the X32 is solid. But I haven’t heard of many issues on that on the road either. But I have heard about M32 road power supply issues, but those are probably resolved by now. In my opinion I prefer the X32 due to price and viewing angle, as where I run sound it’s typically on a lower desk and I prefer to run it standing. If you want the better Midas preamps and don’t want to break the bank, then go X32 with a Midas stagebox. That’s what I’ve done, and comparing the preamps I don’t hear much of difference other than the usual analog vs digital sound floor in live sound use, meaning if I need more gain on a source, I should run it on the stagebox.

Not the M32/X32, but our band replaced our XR18 with an MR18, build quality wasn't massively different but the preamps were noticeable better. We were able to pull config out of the XR18 and upload the MR18, and swap them directly. Everyone in the group (all in ears, axe-fx only, electronic drums) noticed an improvement in the quality of mixes. It was a straight A/B, we did a few songs on MR, then swapped out to XR and redid same. We didn't do a blind test or anything though, so maybe everybody just believed it sounded better.

Back
Top Bottom